Sea king SACRU 1/72

junglierating

So I have an unfinished SK Mk4 which I will complete.

Ive noticed that those kits that are completed tend not to have a SACRU fitted...since the kit doesnt have one.

Now once upon a model show I saw a white metal one ....did I buy it ...er no.

So does anyone know who might have made it....ive looked on line but no success so far.

I guess I will have to make one if not successful in finding this item

Mk4s just look wrong without one unless they were in the surveillance role.

P.s.

SACRU =semi automatic cargo release unit ....the bit you hang underslung loads on 

Cheers 

Back in the 80's I used to work for the company that made the SACRU hooks (and the QRC used throughout the forces). They went by the name of Cargo Aids and were part of the Drallim group of companies. They are still going and on their website you can get good reference pictures and dimensions if you want to scratch build one, which may be an option for you.

Here is the link https://drallim.com/sacru1/ and if you download the PDF you get the full dimensions

• Like 1

@SeventySecond thanks, but any chance of a better link?

Does anyone have any good pictures or a drawing of the frame and all the associated cables and gubbins etc?

It's difficult to get good close up's of this as obviously it's under the aircraft and generally in shade or obscured.

Cheers.

Hi Smudge

Try this https://drallim.com/sacru1/   . If this doesn't work PM me and I will send you the PDF drawing. As for the frame the best (and only) picture I can find is on page 30 of the Warpaint on the Sea King (No95) where there is a shot of a HC4 carrying a Snowcat and you can see the frame. 

Cargo Aids had nothing to do with the frame it was a Westland design and build and from memory it wasn't used much as it only increased the weight that could be carried from 6,000lb to 8,000lb.  The fitment of cables on the frame was much the same as the standard fitment of the SACRU on the Sea King. i.e. four individual cables from the underside of the airframe to shackles on the SACRU. The main operation of the SACRU was electrical so there is an electrical connection from the hook to the airframe and them a cable operated back up to the other side of the hook. Finally there were very thin cables that allowed the SACRU to be stowed up under the aircraft when not in use, but I think you could leave those off.

Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1