1/32 Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair

Today is a day for excellent RFIs and this is one of my favourites. I like this colourful, dramatic style with the strong weathering and everything just a little over the top. It's lovely to see some flamboyance in moddelling. What a smart idea to use a 'fictional' unit and pilot; not as detached from reality as a 'what if', but liberated from the need to be accurate in the pedantic sense. 

I will shamelessly steal that idea for my future aircraft builds. (Oh, I just realised that I do that already when I make armour models, though mostly through ignorance rather than conscious decision.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Today is a day for excellent RFIs and this is one of my favourites. I like this colourful, dramatic style with the strong weathering and everything just a little over the top. It's lovely to see some flamboyance in moddelling. What a smart idea to use a 'fictional' unit and pilot; not as detached from reality as a 'what if', but liberated from the need to be accurate in the pedantic sense. 

I will shamelessly steal that idea for my future aircraft builds. (Oh, I just realised that I do that already when I make armour models, though mostly through ignorance rather than conscious decision.)

All of my builds are in this style. I call it ‘historically plausible’. I am also working on some Luft ‘46 projects based in an alternate history universe I’m working on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curiouslysophie said:

All of my builds are in this style. I call it ‘historically plausible’. I am also working on some Luft ‘46 projects based in an alternate history universe I’m working on.

I've been pondering this. Fiction and alternate realities are particularly suited to the whacky world of the internet, I think

What would be most fun, building the models or constructing a plausible storyline to amuse viewers of the RFI?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I've been pondering this. Fiction and alternate realities are particularly suited to the whacky world of the internet, I think

What would be most fun, building the models or constructing a plausible storyline to amuse viewers of the RFI?

I love coming up with the storylines to go with the models. My upcoming Do-335 will have one with it set in Summer 1946. The models are the best bit though ;) 

That's so well done, thoughtfully and realistically beaten up with a great variation in colour and wear patterns. So good to see one done with authenticity in mind rather than fashion.

Excellent modelling 👍

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 3:54 AM, curiouslysophie said:

My first post of my work here. Constructive criticism is welcome! I hope you all like it :) 

Here is my rendition of the ‘bent-wing bird’. I used the Eduard cockpit (never again) & propeller, HGW belts & stencils, Barracuda Wheels, and a load of scratchbuilding! I did some super-detailing on the engine, cowl flaps, canopy fittings, and wheel bays.

It is a fictional scheme from a Guadalcanal based unit, flown by the fictional Lt M. W. Hendrik. 

I hope you enjoy my build, I had great fun with the weathering on this one. I have come to love dirty aircraft and learned a good deal of new techniques for this plane (still not so great at them!).

On to the pictures!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fantastic build and detailing! Very well done

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful job, Sophie! Nice job on the antenna work.

Having built two of these Birdcages so far and with a third in the pipeline, probably my all-time-favourite model aeroplane kit*.

Can't wait to build more.

-d-

*The Tamiya F-14 being a very close 2nd.

Edited by David H
  • Like 1

Constructive criticism?

How about, "Stop making us amateurs look so bad at building models!"??  😬

Just joking of course!  😁  

Seriously, that is an absolutely stunning Birdcage Corsair replica! 

Brilliant!  :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Absolutely nailed it. Great weathering with many subtle details.

The Corsair is one of my favourite aircraft & I've pondered over getting that kit for a while now. Might drop a few hints for Christmas!

Pete

Thank you all for your lovely comments. I am glad you all like it! I feel my skills are getting better and I just hope the next build surpasses it!

23 hours ago, Gordon J said:

What did you use for the aerial wires?

I used Infini Models 1/32 Aero Rigging. I believe it’s meant for WWI planes but works well for this!

8 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Really incredible through and through, but the engine is especially impressive. I don't suppose you have a step by step of how you built and painted it?

I sadly don’t I’m afraid. For the engine there is a mix of scratch parts, kit parts, and 3D printing.

The weathering is numerous techniques I’ve picked up over the years, plus a healthy dose of learning from people like Night Shift, Will Pattinson, Mike Rinaldi, and more.

I’m always happy to chat more about it though! Especially with a fellow archaeologist!

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

Absolutely nailed it. Great weathering with many subtle details.

The Corsair is one of my favourite aircraft & I've pondered over getting that kit for a while now. Might drop a few hints for Christmas!

Pete

Definitely worth it! The kit is a beauty and goes together like a dream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2