1/32 Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair

Hallo

You used the Brasin cockpit?

Tell me about please. I asked this matter in LSP forum and they told me hands off! So I did.

I built m, F4U some time ago. Not so nice as yours. How did you achieve the weathering? With hairspray? Tell us please!

Happy modelling 

5 minutes ago, dov said:

Hallo

You used the Brasin cockpit?

Tell me about please. I asked this matter in LSP forum and they told me hands off! So I did.

I built m, F4U some time ago. Not so nice as yours. How did you achieve the weathering? With hairspray? Tell us please!

Happy modelling 

I did use it and although the detail is nice, the fit was bad. It didn’t fit into the fuselage very well. I used ak worn effects fluid for the chipping and mostly ak real colours for paint. The panel line was was a mix of Tamiya ones. The rest of the weathering was done with abteilung 502 oils. I followed a lot of the techniques done by Will Pattinson in his oil paint rendering videos on youtube but tried a few of my own in addition.

I want to make a base for this build at some point too.

• Like 3

Wow! That is one brilliant Hog! Paintwork, weathering and details are excellent. Well done!

Two observations if I may:

1) If I remember correctly the thin white stripes around the tank lid were actually tapes which prevented fuel leak through panel seams.

2) The cockpit was interior green. The hue in the photos looks more like a P47 cockpit colour. 

Correct me if I am wrong though. 

Again, beautiful model! Well done.

Best,

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nikola Topalov said:

1) If I remember correctly the thin white stripes around the tank lid were actually tapes which prevented fuel leak through panel seams.

"Among the many problems that turned up in operational F4U-1 Corsairs was a leaky fuel tank, which was located between the pilot and the engine for the most favorable center of gravity. Corsair pilots I spoke to said that a virtually universal practice to keep the windshield clean was to seal the fuselage panels with strips of white tape".

14 minutes ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Wow! That is one brilliant Hog! Paintwork, weathering and details are excellent. Well done!

Two observations if I may:

2) The cockpit was interior green. The hue in the photos looks more like a P47 cockpit colour. 

Correct me if I am wrong though. 

Again, beautiful model! Well done.

Best,

Nikola

Thank you! :) 

Yes, the white strips were for preventing fuel leaks, though there were often leaks from the upper circular panel. I wanted to show a plane that had had leaks, some patching up and then more leaks.

Normally the cockpit was interior green, but some Corsairs in the Solomons and Guadalcanal had bronze green cockpits. This was usually earlier ones. I wanted to go for the darker colour as I felt it contrasted better with the light blue.

Cheers,

Sophie

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That looks pretty amazing to me! It would take me a few years to get to that standard & loads of practice. In the real world I rarely even attempt weathering like that. One of the reasons I go for modern fast jets!

Superb work! 

Martin

Wow that's one stunning looking bent wing bird, I'd be very proud of that. Even zooming in on the detail it doesn't disappoint. Just wondering what you used for the stencils and main markings they look brilliant, also thanks for the heads up re the cockpit I'll stick with the kit one.

Well done regards, Trace

Thank you, you’re all to kind! I’m really glad you like my Corsair. I have quite a few previous builds I can share some time, but I really poured my heart and soul into this one. Now it’s time to start the next one!

14 minutes ago, Autle said:

Wow that's one stunning looking bent wing bird, I'd be very proud of that. Even zooming in on the detail it doesn't disappoint. Just wondering what you used for the stencils and main markings they look brilliant, also thanks for the heads up re the cockpit I'll stick with the kit one.

Well done regards, Trace

The stencils were HGW wet transfers. They are brilliant! You put them down over some Microsol, then wait about 4-5 hours and then you can peel the carrier film off and they look like they’re painted on. I use them as much as I can. The main markings are done using Montex masks. I would like to invest in a Silhouette cutter at some point to make my own masks.

Do avoid the Eduard cockpit, the detail is wonderful, but the fit was so bad. The kit cockpit is great! I highly recommend the Quinta 3D decals as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, curiouslysophie said:

Constructive criticism is welcome! I

It is a fictional scheme from a Guadalcanal based unit, flown by the fictional Lt M. W. Hendrik. 

I hope you enjoy my build, I had great fun with the weathering on this one. I have come to love dirty aircraft and learned a good deal of new techniques for this plane (still not so great at them!).

Very neat build overall

A couple of points that maybe of use, though I doubt another big Corsair is due soon, though the prop blade one maybe of wider use

The fabric areas faded more than metal

look at the folded wing of 4, and the elevators of 2,  and if you look carefully, the wing of 2

Goodyear-FG-1D-Corsair-VBF-82-White-2-pr

these are F4U-4 from 1946, in the med, when the USN was being run down and are pretty tatty. 

Prop blades, I can't see the back of yours well, but  they wear on the back, not the front,  and this is the result

front

F4U-1A_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_maintenance_at

back, same plane

F4U_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_Green_Islands_Mai

a geniune Kodakrome.  Note the blades

36cfdf7e3cf8c32607652841aadafd42.jpg

Hope of interest/use,  and look forward to more,  as your model  above is great.

cheers

T

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Very neat build overall

A couple of points that maybe of use, though I doubt another big Corsair is due soon, though the prop blade one maybe of wider use

The fabric areas faded more than metal

look at the folded wing of 4, and the elevators of 2,  and if you look carefully, the wing of 2

Goodyear-FG-1D-Corsair-VBF-82-White-2-pr

these are F4U-4 from 1946, in the med, when the USN was being run down and are pretty tatty. 

Prop blades, I can't see the back of yours well, but  they wear on the back, not the front,  and this is the result

front

F4U-1A_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_maintenance_at

back, same plane

F4U_Corsair_5_of_VF-17_Green_Islands_Mai

a geniune Kodakrome.  Note the blades

36cfdf7e3cf8c32607652841aadafd42.jpg

Hope of interest/use,  and look forward to more,  as your model  above is great.

cheers

T

Thank you for the excellent photos! The prop blade has some weathering on it, I got that dirty look you often see on WWII props. It sadly doesn’t show up to well in the shots. I Might do some more chipping down to them metal though.

I have done some fading to the fabric, it looks a lot more prominent in real life than pictures. I did some paint fading first then enhanced it with oils after. I didn’t want to over fade it so I held back a little, I probably could’ve gone further. If I ever do another Corsair it’ll be even dirtier! :D 

• Like 1

Hi,

I would say this is a perfect work, the weathering is really nice done. Heavy but not unrealistic! Must be a lot of work to get it to this point.

Really convincing and motivating! 

Cheers

Andy