Su-27 kits in 1/48

dov

Hallo

I want to ask you about your experience in the 48 scale of the Su-27 kits.

In my stash I have the

·         Sukhoi Su-27 UB Eduard ex Academy

·         Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker B HB

·         J-11B PLAAF HB

Tell me please out of your experience the pros and shortcomings of these kits.

Actually, I have in all cases the nozzles from Resin, the metal landing gear and cockpit.

Some resin parts or etched parts.

Thank you in forward.

Happy modelling

If you want the currently ultimate  Su-27 kit you should look at the GWH one!

Academy is a bit understand  HB simplyfied and has some strange shapes.... (canopy, landing gear bays...)

Both can be made into very impressive kits though! Especially with all the AM parts you mention!

KH is also an alternative!

• Like 1

I’ve built the Academy kit which is a bit long in the tooth now, turns into a decent looking kit although some would say not particularly accurate, definitely needs an AM radome (Quickboost do one) as the shape of the kit one spoils it IMHO. Think it’s overall shorter in length than it should be and the main undercarriage bays are wrong shape. The Eduard boxing’s give some nice marking options.

I’ve built both the single seat and two seat Hobby Boss versions and enjoyed both builds. Single seat is particularly good value for money I think, picked mine up for slightly less the £30. My only comment on the HB kits would be limited choice of marking options in the kits and lack of stencil data. Only AM I added to these kits is a Master pitot probe and decals.

I have a Kitty Hawk Su-30SM in the stash but my next Flanker purchase would definitely be GWH kit.

Hallo 

Thank you Muzz, I will get the Begemot stencils, to overcome the stencil matter on HB kits.

BTW: They also have excellent stencils and markings for Su-34 & 35.

Happy modelling 

• Like 1