Eyes over Korea ~ Sword RF-80A Shooting Star

Luka

The Sword 'Lockheed RF-80A over Korea' short-run kit was built more or less out of the box. 6 decoration schemes are offered, but since I always liked the rare camouflaged version, I promptly chose that option.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!
Cheers,
Luka

Edited by Luka
  • Like 46
  • Thanks 2

Pretty neat RF-80! Nice to see one other than the usual bare metal. Here is some information on your modeling subject. I have read the Sword kit is not the easiest to put together, especially the intakes and forward wing section. How did your build go, if I may ask?

Mike

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-rf-80a-44-85467-45-trs-er1999037-m-gen-sfh-newman-129342216.html

https://external-preview.redd.it/4FnKvEcoqvIdHAF-I4pVB0HllfUgrFPX7TJnCnCTH_s.jpg?auto=webp&s=d6615c6196b23729be7b59a18f5bf5346db246be

From the Forgotten Jets website:

Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Star/44-85467

1946: USAF 12th RS (363rd RG).

1952: USAF 45th TRS (67th TRW).

8/11/1952: Crashed near Seoul, South Korea after a collision with US Navy AD-3 122764.

• Like 1

@72modeler Thanks! I saw the colour profile of this plane ages ago in a Squadron Signal book and decided I wanted to build that one someday. Now I finally have one!
As for the build, I really like these Sword models; for short-run kits they are pretty straightforward and I have encountered very few fit issues with them (as opposed to for example RS Models kits). But yes, the intakes have an unhandy parts breakdown imho. I recall I liked the old Airfix parts breakdown better, with a single part for the intake lip.