Flypast December 2021 Issue With 2022 Calendar

Des

This might be of interest to occasional buyers of Flypast who are unable to view the sealed contents before purchase.

Picked the December issue of the above at my local Tesco today and the 2022 Calendar is bundled with it in a sealed paper envelope which prevents it being fully inspected.

Especially nice this year with a different full-page A4 sized colour aircraft side profile artwork for each month - Swordfish , Wellington , Spitfire , Vulcan , Lancaster , C-47 , Me 262 , B-17 , Hurricane , Mosquito , Halifax , Zero.

The Calendar has been a long-standing annual event so I would not imagine that this is a Tesco specific bundle and going by Key Publications practice in previous years I would expect Aeroplane and Airfix Modelworld to include their own specific Calendars with their next issues due in the next few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Des said:

The Calendar has been a long-standing annual event so I would not imagine that this is a Tesco specific bundle and going by Key Publications practice in previous years I would expect Aeroplane and Airfix Modelworld to include their own specific Calendars with their next issues due in the next few weeks.

The next issue ad in the current Aeroplane promises a "Best of British Aviation from the Aeroplane Archive" calendar with the issue out on November 11th, over a photo of four Lightnings in formation. Airfix Modelworld doesn't have a next issue ad as such, just a little "next issue on sale on November 4th", but I'd be surprised if there isn't a calendar of Airfix box art.

Got the new Airfix mag and yes there is a calendar. It uses existing box art.

HTH

Dick

Was a good read as ever. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was very disappointed with the Flypast calender unfortunately. The images appeared dark and indistinct. Recycled! I am not that impressed with the artwork in the magazine itself as the standard seems to have slipped and I have been taking this magazine since it first appeared.

Keith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Britman said:

I am not that impressed with the artwork in the magazine itself as the standard seems to have slipped and I have been taking this magazine since it first appeared.

When it was printed mainly in fuzzy black and white on recycled toilet paper, you mean? 🙂 I, too, was an early convert and the quality is much better than those bad old days!

• Like 2

Airfix Model World with calendar appeared in my newsagent today a week late and at first glance I cannot see anything hidden in any of the box-art used in the calendar that might hint of things to come as once was the case.

Aeroplane is about due which I believe will be including a photo based calendar.

• 2 months later...

I`ve been disappointed by Flypast magazine in the past few months,...... has anybody else found that the quality of articles has gone down hill? I know that COVID might have caused an effect somehow,..... but I`ve been flicking through it quickly and just not found it engaging at all. 

• Like 2

Did anyone else get a 'defective' Flypast calendar, where the pictures don't match up to the months, and are below the fold rather than the above? A printing error, I'm sure, but makes for a very odd presentation! I mean, it's free, but.....

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Haha 1

My March issue arrived today and at first glance it is looking a bit disjointed compared to what I expect from this publication. I have always expected more preservation news from this magazine and again this seems a bit scarce. Considering I take Aeroplane as well one may have to go . Aeroplane is something I have read for years and seems to have the edge and it must be said that there is a fair bit of repetition going on as well.

Keith

• Like 2

On 27/01/2022 at 16:47, Paul Bradley said:

Did anyone else get a 'defective' Flypast calendar, where the pictures don't match up to the months, and are below the fold rather than the above? A printing error, I'm sure, but makes for a very odd presentation! I mean, it's free, but.....

Yes! Binned mine and the mag went to a club mate.

As for the modelling titles I have given up on all of them except  the occasional Airfix one. The others always seem to have either same jets and ww2 subjects  month by month. 

They got quite boring.

Re Aeroplane Monthly , it is the only one I buy occasionally and it has very interesting subjects and quite good restoration  news. It's my go to mag when I need to have a read!

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 4:32 PM, tonyot said:

I`ve been disappointed by Flypast magazine in the past few months,...... has anybody else found that the quality of articles has gone down hill? I know that COVID might have caused an effect somehow,..... but I`ve been flicking through it quickly and just not found it engaging at all. 

Agreed 100%   - it's becoming more and more like a comic with every issue....quiz after quiz and photos reproduced over an entire page with tips on 'how could this photo have been better' ...?? got the January issue for the 74 Tigers F-4 issue, there was a piece on the T.11 and then ...nothing apart from a photo report from a Spitfire competition winner and ..a quiz or two.  As for 'repetition' across magazines, I guess that's what happens when one company owns them all... 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I must admit the latest edition has improved. I suppose it's possible that with the dreaded 'C' word, copy has been in short supply. Perhaps now things are easing substantially, we will see more of the regular stuff.

Thanks for that,..... I wasn`t going to bother again,..... but I will give it a coat of looking at. 

IMO Aeroplane, Fly Past and Britain at War have all become poorer since their amalgamation under Key, the latter used to have original articles but now often contains rehashed stuff from the other two and the Editors seem to change monthly too.I don’t bother with mags anymore and it’s a welcome saving...

Mike

• Like 2