Calling Alan Titchmarsh, come in Alan Titchmarsh...

RobL

Hey all

Do we have any professional, ex-professional, or even semi competent hobby gardeners here on Britmodeller?

I have a bit of a gardening quandary.  I am not a gardener and only have rudimentary knowledge of it.  However the front garden around it's path needs sorting out.  It was my 64 year old mother's hobby (we live in the same house) but for various reasons she has decided she will refuse to maintain either of the house's gardens.

As we've had a couple of delivery people mention it (complain), something needs to be done and I appear to be the only person willing to do it.

Unfortunately I can't get down on my hands and knees to do stuff due to health issues, but I can use power tools, so I'm wondering if an electric hedge trimmer (£40 from somewhere like Screwfix) would do the job.  I don't think an electric chainsaw is needed but they are also about the same price...

Thanks all in advance for any advice on this.

Here's some photos showing what it's like so that any one reading this can get an idea of what needs doing, sorry for the blur on some of them -

IMG-20211029-143143841-HDR.jpgIMG-20211029-143148154.jpgspacer.pngIMG-20211029-143154158.jpgIMG-20211029-143157275.jpgIMG-20211029-143205736.jpg

Edited by RobL

A hedge trimmer is only good for removing lightweight branches and foliage. If you are talking about clearing that area, then you will probably need a chain saw. But don't buy a low powered one. Get one with a minimum of 2000 watts.

John.

• Thanks 1

How about a good quality weed killer (if you can still get one that actually kills things),i've got to do my back garden this year after leaving it overgrow for the wildlife then it's just a case of waiting for it to dry and burn it...

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

A hedge trimmer is only good for removing lightweight branches and foliage. If you are talking about clearing that area, then you will probably need a chain saw. But don't buy a low powered one. Get one with a minimum of 2000 watts.

John.

Not the whole area no, just trim it back so the path isn't obstructed.  Most of it looks like lightweight branches and foliage to my untrained ignorant eye.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

How about a good quality weed killer (if you can still get one that actually kills things),i've got to do my back garden this year after leaving it overgrow for the wildlife then it's just a case of waiting for it to dry and burn it...

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, RobL said:

Not the whole area no, just trim it back so the path isn't obstructed.  Most of it looks like lightweight branches and foliage to my untrained ignorant eye.

We use something similar to this at work. It won't do heavy branches but it will do what's on your pathway by the looks of it. No kneeling or bending and the head can be adjusted.

spacer.png

We have GTech at work but every gardening brand does a version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would have thought a reasonable electric hedge trimmer would do that. We have a fairly large garden that takes some work. For thicker stuff a pair of loppers works well if you don't have a lot to do. The hard work is the first time you do it, maintenance is a bit easier as the growth will be thinner and less woody. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

How about a good quality weed killer (if you can still get one that actually kills things),

Oh if only!! The stuff that they sell over here is more like fertilizer. It's very selective as to what it will kill, and it costs 15 euros a bottle. We used to be able to buy glyphosate (yes, I know that it's dangerous; ask me how I know), which would wipe out every weed in the garden, but it's now banned.

John.

• Like 3

A goat would sort that out. 

But if that's not an option, it just looks like it needs cutting back. I guess you're not wanting anything more than that, in terms of improvements or landscaping? If you don't want to do it yourself, you might be as well to put an advert in the newsagents window to find some help. 

• 4 months later...

So, long time no update on this.  Just want to thank everyone for their advice on this issue.

Weather has been a bit British and funding a bit ethereal, so I've put off tackling this issue and buying an electric hedge trimmer, but I pulled the pin yesterday and bought one from Screwfix, this one - https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb357ght-60cm-550w-230v-corded-electric-hedge-trimmer/65175

It was delivered by Parcel Force this morning, and it worked a treat.  There wasn't so much greenery being early March, and I managed to clear the path somewhat so that we can actually see it now, hopefully during the year I won't have to attack it much again -

spacer.png

Still untidy, and I need to find a stiff broom to move some mud that has collected, but at least people can walk down the path now without getting attacked by, whatever.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Richard E said:

On 30/10/2021 at 01:44, Admiral Puff said:

But you've GOT to paint it green ...

But what FS or BS green ......? :)

RLM, surely?

• Haha 2

Sorry to disappoint you, but looking at what's growing along that path it  may well need another cut before winter. Often cutting stuff back stimulates growth as this the plants response to attack (like being eaten). Ask me how I know. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but looking at what's growing along that path it  may well need another cut before winter. Often cutting stuff back stimulates growth as this the plants response to attack (like being eaten). Ask me how I know. 

Well that's OK.  Not so much of a hassle now I know I can do it all quick and easy with an electric trimmer.

On 10/30/2021 at 1:44 AM, Admiral Puff said:

But you've GOT to paint it green ...

Yeah, but who does the best green to mimic shrubs ? Acralic or Enamel.....Airbush, paint brush or roller........blimey you have opened a can of worms there....

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, RobL said:

Well that's OK.  Not so much of a hassle now I know I can do it all quick and easy with an electric trimmer.

One of the great inventions in gardening along with the pruning saw, powered lawnmower and lopping shears. Guess who ends up doing the heavy jobs in our garden. Although actually my favourite is an electric propagator, I was given. Really gets seeds like tomatoes going in spring.

2 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Yeah, but who does the best green to mimic shrubs ? Acralic or Enamel.....Airbush, paint brush or roller........blimey you have opened a can of worms there....

Nah, acrylic paving paint applied with a yard broom - easy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1