Tribute to a Simple Time (Part 2) - 1/72 Airfix Airco DH4

That's absolutely SPECTACULAR :yikes:!!!

Outstanding work all around. I would be very hard pressed to believe that's the old Airfix kit and you've just demonstrated, once again, that old kits can still be built into decent replicas (or masterpieces, as in this case).

I love the base and the idea around it too. Brillant :clap:!

Miguel

Thanks again all for your kind feedback!

Chris - I hadn't thought about the old Avro 504 kit; I had one many many moons ago, I might check it out again :)

Mackem01 - the shading is fairly easy, I just use thin strips of tape over each rib location, and run over it with thinned tamiya smoke. This can be combined with a similar method for pre-shading also. I used both methods here - pre-shading under the camo colour, and post shading over the decals once applied.

Terry - not a problem re the Albatros - the thread for the Albie is here:

And the build log is here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11345.0

Cheers again!

BC

What can I say?

Brilliant!

Yep, that'll do. I will have to dig my bagged version out soon (which coincidentally is sitting with a bagged Albatros DVa) in my 'to do' box

All the best from a hugely impressed Ray

I think I remember this one from the days when I was happy gluing the top wing solidly to the top of the fuselage.

I suppose you have improved on that 'technique' in some ways...

Seriously, this is a beautiful model, very well mad and painted. 10/10

Fantastic, I loved how you painted it, just enough details to significantly improve the old kit. Great work. I have old Airfix RAF R.E.8 i would like to rebuild, this I will use as a reference. 

Thanks again all for your kind words on my little build!

Nikola - the wood graining technique is not too difficult. I start with a coat of buff, radome, or an undercolour of choice (as this help set the 'tone' of the wood). I then use a mix of oil paints; burnt sienna, raw umber, raw sienna, mixed to get the right colour. This is then 'streaked' using a wide brush dipped in a little thinner (turpentine), to create 'grains'. Let this dry for a few days (as oils take a long time to dry), and if you wish, add a thinned coat of something like clear yellow or clear orange to help 'tie' it all together. Go around panel edges with a little thinned Tamiya 'smoke' and you're done. This does take a little practice, but is not too difficult. The challenge for something like 1/72 is that there is no way you would see individual wood grains; it is more about tone and tone changes to give the impression of wood. 

Cheers!

BC

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...