Sea Harriers in India - which of the dark greys for IN623?

Blimpyboy

Righty-oh!

I'm finding references regarding Indian Sea Harrier two-tone colour schemes to be somewhat confusing.

Some sources state that all Indian Sea Harrier FRS.51s were delivered in Extra dark sea grey (EDSG) over White, while others state that there were different colours (notably, Dark sea grey {DSG} over White) for different deliveries. Added to that, EDSG is mentioned as having been changed to DSG on all aircraft, after some time in service. Also - and most annoyingly - some sources seem to switch interchangeably between EDSG and DSG as the only upper surface colour. And then, some sources state that the White undersides were, at some point, changed to a pale grey, while other sources state that the White just got really, really grubby!

Grrr...

So, for the Sea Harrier fans out there: can you please enlighten me as to the colours most likely to have been used in IN623, as shown in the photos below?

US_Navy_070904-N-5242D-140_Sailors_stati

44619023670_5ca62a31da_b.jpg

SEA%20HARRIER%20FRS%20Mk.51%20%20MG_0275

If it helps, here are some close-ups of the grey, from the same sequence of shots as the photo immediately above:

SEA%20HARRIER%20FRS%20Mk.51MG_0288.jpg

SEA%20HARRIER%20FRS%20Mk.51MG_0283.jpg

Thanks in advance,

BB

• Like 2

As much as I love Sea Harriers, I'm no expert but that looks like Extra Dark Sea Grey over White to me, especially in the picture of the camera port.  In the other pictures, it appears that the E.D.S.G. has faded in the bright Indian sun!

Cheers,

WARDOG

• Like 3

For early IN SHARs satin extra dark sea grey. For later versions the EDSG had faded down to dark sea grey - which is what I would suggest you use for the two tone camo SHARs. See below for my builds. IN604 is an earlier SHAR version from the early 80s with EDSG and IN618 is in the faded DSG tone before retirement. Hope this helps. spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also the only IN SHARs that had a single color camo that I am aware of used a low Viz grey that I am trying to figure out what grey it was. The two tone camo are EDSG/white (early) and DSG/white (late) The little grey undersides are in all probability just grubby white and lighting

Edited by Madmaks
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Sorry if it is a little off topic....where did these SHAR's end up?  Or are they still in service?

Cheers Anthony

From what I understand Anthony since retirement some of them have become static displays across cities (there is one definitely displayed in Mumbai), museums (Naval museum Goa etc) and defense establishments. 

12 minutes ago, Madmaks said:

From what I understand Anthony since retirement some of them have become static displays across cities (there is one definitely displayed in Mumbai), museums (Naval museum Goa etc) and defense establishments. 

Oh thanks!  It seems it might be nice to have an early SHAR in the UK, but nice to know there are some survivors...thanks

27 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh thanks!  It seems it might be nice to have an early SHAR in the UK, but nice to know there are some survivors...thanks

There is one.   Just one IIRC.

https://www.fleetairarm.com/exhibit/sea-harrier-frs1-xz493/4-36-97.aspx

David

9 hours ago, Madmaks said:

For later versions the EDSG had faded down to dark sea grey - which is what I would suggest you use for the two tone camo SHARs. See below for my builds.

Hey, those two jets look great! Thanks for the advice and inspiration!

• Like 1

I dare to suggest that the Indian Navy received them FRS.51 directly from BAe in a standard color, i.e. gray color is BS381 / 640. What is the point of using a different color if this paint was enough in stocks at the production site?

On 10/29/2021 at 9:14 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Nice...they did a great job considering the pilot ejected and they recovered her from the sea!

Kinda, it's mainly Harrier GR.3 XV760 with the recovered cockpit of Sea Harrier FRS 1 XZ493 grafted on to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Kinda, it's mainly Harrier GR.3 XV760 with the recovered cockpit of Sea Harrier FRS 1 XZ493 grafted on to it.

Aaaah they did well, but it would be kinda nice if they could backdate a surviving FA-2 using Indian airframe parts. Or perhaps get an Indian one and paint it up to honor a lost one and crew??  Of course, easier said than done sitting on a computer making suggestion than actually doing it. However I think the Indian Historic flight are expanding their collection...maybe a swap?

On 10/30/2021 at 6:55 AM, scotthldr said:

While looking for images of EDSG and DSG jets side by side, I came across this one

https://www.militaryimages.net/media/indian-navy-sea-harrier.84197/

Is this just a poorly reproduced photo of a EDSG jet, or a Blue over White scheme?

How a picture is lit greatly effects color perception. This would be EDSG 

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

I heard that it was an FRS.1 fuselage with GR.3 wings?

Trevor

On 01/11/2021 at 19:44, Madmaks said:

How a picture is lit greatly effects color perception. This would be EDSG 

This was my thought too. At the risk of reopening a can of worms, EDSG has a particular quirk of appearing blue under certain conditions and processing methods. There was quite a lengthy thread about it on here earlier this year...

• Like 1