408 Sqn. Lancaster B.II EQ*Z "Zombie" (LL725)

Scott Hemsley

It's one of the decal options in the Airfix Lancaster B.II kit as well as the B.II option on the Zotz OOP(?) "Sexy Lancs" decal sheet. They both agree on the markings and serial, but there the similarity ends. 

The question I have is what style of bombay doors did it have in 1943 - 44?  The Airfix kit calls for the regular 'un-bulged' doors, while the profile on the Zotz decal sheet shows the late-style of full-length bulged doors with the dorsal gun fairing (less the dorsal turret) still fitted.  For some reason, I'm leaning towards the early bulged doors (about 1/2 the length) with the dorsal turret fair (less turret) fitted, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

There is a well-circulated PR photo of the port-side nose of 'Zombie' that includes the front portion of the opened bomb doors, but IMO, that's rather inconclusive ... regular bomb doors or full-length bulged doors - it's anybody's guess.   Does anyone either have or know of an online source for a 'profile style' photo of 'Zombie' (EQ*Z) or at least one that 's angled, but shows conclusively the style of bomb doors and if the doors were bulged, the presence of the dorsal turret fairing?

A future build depends on it.   :)

Scott

• Like 1

The caption for this says it's LL725:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RCAF_Lancaster_Mk_II_RAF_Linton-on-Ouse_WWII_HU_56276.jpg

and says it was EQ-C lost 29 July 1944:

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/serials/details.php?uniq=LL725

However another site has the one in the photo as LL720. either way you can clear tell it has a bulged bay, note the back of the doors.

Jari

Profile No. 235, Avro Lancaster II by Bruce Robertson has another view of LL725, page 18 from a lower angle.  The bomb doors are open and are not the ones with the short bulge as seen on the Mk II.  Whether these are the early standard doors or the full length bulged ones I can't say because of the angle and cropping.  Also the ventral turret (and fairing) is blocked from view, if it is there at all.

Also of note in the picture are the shallow bomb aimer blister, early forward-mounted pitot and the later standard short Beaufighter style carb intakes.  The port side of the canopy lacks the observation blister.  Lastly the machine does carry the cheese grater-shaped Window chute on the starboard nose.

Carl Vincent has asked me to post these photos for him.

" I do not know whether Scott has all three of these photos or not. However, I would like to post them for whatever information they might provide. "

Carl

51639251915_b22c6164ac_b.jpg

51639251950_5a06436133_b.jpg

51639051399_8cbd8d7fca_b.jpg

Chris, for Carl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jari: Thanks for the links. 

The first link clearly shows the Lanc is fitted with bulged doors and by their appearance from the front, I'd have to conclude that they're the full-length style of a bulged bombay door.  I don't think the ventral turret nor the fairing was fitted with these style of bombay doors and if the aircrews had any say (according to the accounts in 408 Squadron History - my copy is in storage so I can't furnish publisher info, sorry) the ventral turret would be gone. Apparently they viewed it as next to useless.  However, I would question the Wiki caption.  If the photographed aircraft is indeed EQ*C, according to Kostenuk & Griffin's RCAF Squadrons and Aircraft the serial for EQ*C was LL699.   In the same book, there is a small photo of EQ*D (DS858) that clearly shows the early 1/2-length bulged bombay doors fitted with the fairing for the ventral turret in place, minus the turret.  The nose art is just an inscription, but I might be able to do up a decal on the inkjet for that.  That's an option.

Chris:  Thank Carl for me.  The last photo is the one I was referring to in my initial post.  More telling is the 2nd photo ... the one with the open bombay doors at a very good angle showing that they were indeed the full-length style of bombay door (you can see the bulge in the door by the curvature of the bottom edge. 

Question is, do I still have the Paragon full-length bulged doors (as seen on some B.X's) stuck with my Lancs in storage?  I know I've got Paragon's early 1/2 length style of bulged bomb doors.  I originally got the full-length bulged doors for a planned  B,X, but I've since got a few photos of my chosen subject fitted with the regular doors - making the resin doors surplus ... until now!  :) 

Upon closer examination of the sprues, I also noticed that the kit only has the early(?) style short scoops atop of the cowling.  Some B.II's (EQ*D - DS858) for example) appeared to have longer style cowl scoops, along with the 1/2-length bulged bombay doors and ventral turret fairing .... so check your references. 

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

Zombie is also included here:

IMG_0691

where 2 of the pictures uploaded above appear: however notice that the bomb loading view shows more of the doors as the picture has not been cropped.

IMG_0690

Note that the serial is given as LL725 in the photo captions.

Also the caption seems positive that Zombie did carry the ventral turret. They also include colour profile artwork to this effect.

I need to have a more detailed sift through the text to see what, if any, evidence is offered to support the ventral turret.

SD

• Like 1