Lightning F.6 gun troughs

Bozothenutter

Does anybody know what angles they should be from the Horizontal and vertical centreline planes?

There seems to be something funny with the Airfix  1/48 kit versions apart from being way too shallow.

might want to change them for some tubing or something.

I now have the Coremans books and dvd as well, but if I follow the Airfix trough and deepen it, the ellipse shape needs to be MUCH longer than it looks in the pics.

the only way I can see getting that shape correct is if the guns were splayed outward?

Seems highly unlikely.  The guns will be aligned to converge at a specified distance, but the actual angle will be very small.  Being so close together, they quite likely will even be parallel.  Any exception to this would be not only unreal but heavily commented on.  I suspect that this is down to the subtleties of the real aircraft shape as distinct from the model

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I suspect that this is down to the subtleties of the real aircraft shape as distinct from the model

I do not have my kits to hand at present so cannot examine them but Graham Boak is correct in his assumption as illustrated by my two shots below.  The Forward Ventral Gun-Tank was slightly fatter than the Forward Ventral Fuel tank and had a distinctly flat front end.  It also had flatter upper suface sides.  :- 

spacer.png

Fwd Ventral Fuel tank

spacer.png 

Fwd Ventral Gun-Tank

HTH

Dennis

• Like 1

if the guns were splayed outward?

The Cannon's were harmonised to converge a X distance in front of the jet so it would be the opposite but only very slightly.

The Sqn's F6's were all Harmonised prior to APC (Armament Practice Camp) in Cyprus, also checked again during the time in Cyprus if the pilot thought they were off.

When the Aircraft was due to go on QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) the Harmonisation had to have been carried out with in a certain time frame. 

I spent many years working on Lightning Radar...One of the more obscure things I remember was that when selecting 'Guns', a -2 degree offset was applied to radar and LFS (light fighter sight). hope this might help..

DaveH😎

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 9:49 PM, DaveH said:

I spent many years working on Lightning Radar...One of the more obscure things I remember was that when selecting 'Guns', a -2 degree offset was applied to radar and LFS (light fighter sight). hope this might help..

DaveH😎

You win the beer filled fridge!

Found a way of checking the angle from the horizontal, used 2deg downwards and the ellipse would fit again.