Tamiya 1/24 Sierra RS500 "Texaco "

Andy J

They look great , Andy . I wish teams would go back to simple , clean uncluttered colour schemes on cars . I hate the current trend for flashy designs  . Your car shows off what’s being advertised so simply .

Gary . 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Looking really good Andy. And not a single decal on the wall either!🤣🤣

Good luck with clear coating the decals

Nick

Just couldn't resist it could ya 🙄. I'm not concerned about clear coating the decals Nick..I mean...what could possibly go wrong 😬👍

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely job Andy, so glad to hear that the SK decals appear to be the exact opposite of shunko's....!! :)

That shell really looks good!

K

The SK decals were superb Keith absolutely spot on mate 👌.  The decal that runs along the top of the rear bumper came in one piece and I was dreading fitting it but it gave me no problems at all. They really are a top product 🙂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Nah not my cup of tea Stef you obviously have the wrong person.....just ordered one as a Xmas present for someone i know....well it would be rude not to especially after the traumatic events of yesterday 🙂👍. Thanks for the heads up Stef....oh and Mrs J will be so delighted when it arrives 😂👍

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

They look great , Andy . I wish teams would go back to simple , clean uncluttered colour schemes on cars . I hate the current trend for flashy designs  . Your car shows off what’s being advertised so simply .

Gary . 

I agree Gary and that's why I don't tend to build any of the more modern schemes way to busy for my liking 🙂👍

• Like 1

Looks great!

SK decals are probably the best aftermarket decals I’ve ever used. I recently used their Wynn’s decals for a Tamiya AMG GT3, which is basically a mass of complex compound curves. The decals fit perfectly and only needed a little Solvaset in some spots.

Ben

• Like 2

Had to look in in this build as this was my Scalextric car of choice back in the day.

Absolutely stunning job!!

Can I ask what levelling thinner you've used as I have a black Tamiya Porsche 911 GT2 to have a go at and that finish is superb.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks for the heads up Stef....oh and Mrs J will be so delighted when it arrives

Ha, and I had nothing to do with it - this time you can tell Mrs. J ..... 'Stef made me do it'.....!! 🤣

K

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ha, and I had nothing to do with it - this time you can tell Mrs. J ..... 'Stef made me do it'.....!! 🤣

K

I already have 😂😂👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, badger said:

Had to look in in this build as this was my Scalextric car of choice back in the day.

Absolutely stunning job!!

Can I ask what levelling thinner you've used as I have a black Tamiya Porsche 911 GT2 to have a go at and that finish is superb.

All the best

Ben

Hi Ben thanks for the comment much appreciated 👍. Here's a pic of the levelling thinner i use when mixing the paint 

spacer.png

For Tamiya paint i mix this 50/50 and spray a light first coat followed by a couple of wet coats at about 18psi. Wet coats are required if you want a nice smooth finish 🙂👍.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Hi Ben thanks for the comment much appreciated 👍. Here's a pic of the levelling thinner i use when mixing the paint 

spacer.png

For Tamiya paint i mix this 50/50 and spray a light first coat followed by a couple of wet coats at about 18psi. Wet coats are required if you want a nice smooth finish 🙂👍.

I'm so glad you posted that photo, I bought some of the same thinner this week (I had a slight, nagging doubt that I might have got the wrong stuff).  Initial experiments are showing promising results.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

I'm so glad you posted that photo, I bought some of the same thinner this week (I had a slight, nagging doubt that I might have got the wrong stuff).  Initial experiments are showing promising results.

No problem John the key is to spray wet coats. Now I know I keep banging on about wet coats but it really is important for a good finish. If you practice on plastic spoons then you will be surprised just how heavy you can apply the paint without getting runs. Get it right and you can actually see the finish as you spray the paint that's how i do it John hope this helps 🙂👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, badger said:

Brilliant - thanks for the pic and the helpful explanation.

I'll  pick some up and give it a go.

All the best

Ben

You are welcome Ben should you require any further help then simply ask 😉 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So today's session started out quite stressful when I realised I couldn't find the clear parts for this kit 🙄. With the recycling bin having been emptied yesterday I went into full panic mode but eventually I found them safe and sound in a cupboard where I put them for safe keeping ....I felt a little relieved when they finally turned up 🙂. So back to the build and today was all about applying the clear coat to the shell and rear spoiler. I'm glad to report that the process went very well and I'm extremely happy with the results. Here's more than a few pic's of the shell sporting its new clear coat 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've also added the wheels to the chassis and the interior tub to the chassis and though very basic in detail I'm pleased with the overall results. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The shell needs to be left alone for a couple of days now so that the clear coat can fully cure ready for finishing up and hopefully then i can get this build put together. Not much left to do now so time to start thinking about the next project and making sure I have all the necessary bits and pieces ready to go. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks perfect!

Thanks for the comment i have to admit I'm very happy with the results. I haven't been able to look too closely at the finish as I wanted to return the shell to it's covered safe place as quickly as possible after taking the pic's but looking at the pic's it seems I've been able to avoid the dreaded dust monster which makes me very happy indeed 🙂👍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

I really don't enjoy using clear as I find it impossible to correct any mistakes,  but if I could get results like yours I'm sure I'd dread it less, top job - Andy 

Thanks Andy it's purely down to practice and experience mate 👍 

Lovely job Andy - only one thing wrong - no real Sierra was ever that shiny....!!   :coolio:  🤣

Was it 2K you used?

Glad you found the clear parts. I've already got a Sierra kit missing them, we wouldn't want two...!! 

Keith

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely job Andy - only one thing wrong - no real Sierra was ever that shiny....!!   :coolio:  🤣

Was it 2K you used?

Glad you found the clear parts. I've already got a Sierra kit missing them, we wouldn't want two...!! 

Keith

Thanks Keith tbh I think the finish is pretty similar to the real car 

spacer.png

And I haven't polished mine 😂😂. Yep 2K clear Keith from Hiroboy it's a clear coat i trust over any decals. I really thought I'd thrown the clear parts away mate I was in a proper panic but thank god they turned up 🙂👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Yeh but that's probably been restored using Tamiya X-1 and Zero 2K..... !! :whistle: 🤣

Seriously your shell looks stunning!

Keith

Oh I see ....here we go again...it's a restored car......that old chestnut 🌰 😆🤣👍. Thanks Keith I'm really pleased with the results mate 👍 

8 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

That’s a top finish on the shell , Andy . Black is always a good colour to bring out a deep shine . 
Gary . 

Cheers Gary I understand that a 2K clear coat isn't for everyone but it's how I like to finish some of my kits so I'm very pleased with it 🙂👍

• Like 2