Tamiya 1/24 Sierra RS500 "Texaco "

Andy J

I'm definitely going to be watching this build with interest, as I love the Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth in Texaco racing colours.

It's interesting that this kit seems to owe nothing to Tamiya's Ford Sierra XR4i kit, I suppose there are so few common parts (perhaps only the floor could be shared) that it was worth cutting a complete set of new tools.  It's a bit of a surprise that there isn't full engine detail, but that doesn't necessarily detract from the quality of the finished model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

though I reckon my build will cost a little less than £185000 ......around........£175000 I reckon 😂😉👍

You paid 10 grand for a Tamiya kit?? Nutter...... :tease: :rofl2:

16 minutes ago, Andy J said:

This kit cost me £65 inc delivery which at current prices is quite cheap,

That is an excellent buy Andy, great find!

K

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

I'm definitely going to be watching this build with interest, as I love the Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth in Texaco racing colours.

It's interesting that this kit seems to owe nothing to Tamiya's Ford Sierra XR4i kit, I suppose there are so few common parts (perhaps only the floor could be shared) that it was worth cutting a complete set of new tools.  It's a bit of a surprise that there isn't full engine detail, but that doesn't necessarily detract from the quality of the finished model.

Hi John glad to have you following along mate 👍. I've built a fair amount of car kits but for some unknown reason this one has me hooked already and I mean totally engrossed. Even just in the grey primer to me it looks awesome but hopefully tomorrow when it's wearing the black base coat the beauty of this car will really show itself 🙂👍

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Hiya Ben and welcome along glad to have you here for the build 🙂👍. You are correct regarding the prices being charged for these kits but I just waited for an opportunity to come along at a reasonable price and took it. So how much did I spend on this kit 🤔. Well I've seen them as high as £250 but the average price seems to be between £110 and £140 plus delivery. This kit cost me £65 inc delivery which at current prices is quite cheap, is it worth that price...well....it is to me and I suppose at the end of the day that's all that matters 🙂👍

It definitely deserves some restoration imo 👍

I meant to say, that's a good price.  I think the last one I saw auctioned on eBay (the Texaco version) sold for about £75.  I'm sort of tempted, maybe one day...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

You paid 10 grand for a Tamiya kit?? Nutter...... :tease: :rofl2:

That is an excellent buy Andy, great find!

K

Who me a nutter?.....a little puddled maybe but a nutter....no chance 😜. I agree it was a great find Keith and I'm still trying to find another couple for use with different scheme's especially the Labatts scheme which is a splendid livery imo. You know what mate having just read back through this post....well...I think that....maybe...I'm a total nutter 🤣🤣😜👍

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

I meant to say, that's a good price.  I think the last one I saw auctioned on eBay (the Texaco version) sold for about £75.  I'm sort of tempted, maybe one day...

Never say never John that's my motto 👍

• Like 2

Veering a little off topic, but given your new interest in Sierra's Andy, I take it you know about these, which are due 'soon';

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=54779

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=54778

And I was thinking again about what you paid for the Cossie, and it's actually a tenner less than Hannants want for the new Belkits DS C3 kit - and I know which one I'd rather build...!! :) (I also know Hannants are expensive and that the Citroen can be found for less)

K

Edited because I don't know my Citroen DS's From C's....!! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Veering a little off topic, but given your new interest in Sierra's Andy, I take it you know about these, which are due 'soon';

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=54779

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=54778

And I was thinking again about what you paid for the Cossie, and it's actually a tenner less than Hannants want for the new Belkits DS C3 kit - and I know which one I'd rather build...!! :) (I also know Hannants are expensive and that the Citroen can be found for less)

K

Edited because I don't know my Citroen DS's From C's....!! 🤣

Very interesting Keith but I don't see any prices mentioned anywhere 🤔

8 hours ago, Andy J said:

Very interesting Keith but I don't see any prices mentioned anywhere 🤔

Not available for pre-order yet Andy, when they are the price will be shown. But as they're supposedly plastic kits I'd guess they'll be somewhere around a new Belkits release?

K

• Like 1

I used to have both of these kits but my skills aren’t good enough for cars, so I sold them on and brought a big diecast car in the Texaco livery. Think I’ve been lucky as the price has gone up over the years. I had a cossie back in the day and religiously followed touring cars when these were competing. Still got all the dvds and good times of racing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Not available for pre-order yet Andy, when they are the price will be shown. But as they're supposedly plastic kits I'd guess they'll be somewhere around a new Belkits release?

K

Yeah around the £50 mark I reckon will certainly be interesting Keith keep me in mind if you hear anything 🙂👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great project Andy always liked the Texaco Cossie's so will follow along if I may?

Stay safe              Roger

You're always welcome Roger as I see you as an important member of the " clan " if you get what I mean 😉👍

1 hour ago, speedy said:

I used to have both of these kits but my skills aren’t good enough for cars, so I sold them on and brought a big diecast car in the Texaco livery. Think I’ve been lucky as the price has gone up over the years. I had a cossie back in the day and religiously followed touring cars when these were competing. Still got all the dvds and good times of racing.

Happy days and fond memories then Speedy thanks for the comment 🙂👍

13 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Will do! :)

K

Purely for research purposes Keith I'm not buying any more kits for a while I've got a few to play with for the time being 😉👍

• Haha 4

So today's update and I've managed a really good session at the bench. Although we all know how well engineered Tamiya kits are I'm truly staggered considering the age of this kit how well it all fits together...simply brilliant and a joy to build so far 🙂. Now I'm certain that this will not be the only version I build of this car 😉👍. A trip out this morning allowed me to purchase the Tamiya X1 I required to paint the shell and rear spoiler. Mixed 50/50 with levelling thinner I'm pleased with the results and the finish should be good enough for me to apply the decals before the clear coat. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Like I say the shell requires the decals applying and a clear coat but I need to let the paint dry for 24 hours so time to move onto the chassis and suspension. The plan was to get all the parts primed and painted ready for fitting but actually I've managed to get these parts all together which means tomorrow i can start on the interior 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally a pic of the shell and chassis together but not literally 

spacer.png

Now I'm slightly ahead of where I expected to be with the build so I can give the interior the attention it deserves . More to come tomorrow thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Real good looking. I like bright and shiny black😂

Marco F 

Good job you like the colour Marco as my next planned build is the same colour 😉👍

• Like 2

Oddly enough, I just won an auction for one of these Piumini kits plus some SK Decals for the Labatt's car for $50 US plus shipping! It seems like the least expensive ones are starting around $90 US and going up from there. It was one of those auctions a low opening price and nobody had bid on it by the last day. I bid a little over the minimum, just for fun, and actually won. Sometimes we get lucky! 

Ben 

Edited by Ben Brown
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Oddly enough, I just won an auction for one of these Piumini kits plus some SK Decals for the Labatt's car for $50 US plus shipping! It seems like the least expensive ones are starting around $90 US and going up from there. It was one of those auctions a low opening price and nobody had bid on it by the last day. I bid a little over the minimum, just for fun, and actually won. Sometimes we get lucky! 

Ben 

Congratulations Ben you've won yourself a great kit I hope you share your build on the forum 🙂👍

Just now, Andy J said:

Congratulations Ben you've won yourself a great kit I hope you share your build on the forum 🙂👍

Thank you! I won't be able to get to it until after the New Year, but I'll start an in-progress thread when I do.

Ben

• Like 1