Thinking on buying Special Hobby's old tool Pucará, need advice

Sturmovik

What would be the best way to eliminate the gaps (seen HERE) between the fuselage and the wings WITHOUT using putty? I was thinking on two options:

1) Add a spreader bar in the middle of the fuselage in order to push the halves outwards, with the consequence of making the gap smaller (may also throw off the fit of the nose).

Or,

2) Test fit the upper wings to the lower wing constantly, while also sanding down slowly the lower wing until the gap disappears.

I somehow think the second option would work better.

Here's a photo taken from @sunray 's excellent build of his Pucará.

QiGxStm.jpeg

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

Putting plastic card shims is also an option. It also has the advantage of giving the wing root a bit more strength. 

I don't have plasticard available, so I'm trying to know how to tackle the gaps with what I have (a file and spreader sprues).

OK, other ways are any appropriate thin walled polystyrene containers for example yoghurt pots. Before I discovered plastic card in the late sixties I used stretched sprue to fill big gaps. It can be laid in the gap and then filed down. Might be of use if a spreader bar doesn't fill the gap. 

Make sure that the dihedral is right, too- all too easy to fill a "horrible gap" and then realize you've made it look like a Stuka.  Or, force the wing up to meet the fuselage (which that left side looks like could be done) and have too much dihedral.

• Like 1