Norway-based Bf 110 query

Jon Lake

I'm trying to work out whose Bf 110s nearly did for my Dad off Bergen on 15 November 1944. 

I'm guessing 12./ZG26 based at Herdla, though some sources suggest that Lt Rudolf Kurpiers was one of the assailants, flying 1B-NX. 

What unit is that?

What colours, codes, etc. might have been worn?

Unfortunately WWII Luftwaffe really isn't my bag!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon Lake said:

I'm trying to work out whose Bf 110s nearly did for my Dad off Bergen on 15 November 1944. 

I'm guessing 12./ZG26 based at Herdla, though some sources suggest that Lt Rudolf Kurpiers was one of the assailants, flying 1B-NX. 

What unit is that?

What colours, codes, etc. might have been worn?

Unfortunately WWII Luftwaffe really isn't my bag!

Yes, that would be 13.(Z)/JG 5. They flew pretty much standard Bf 110G-2s at the time, sometimes with an additional twin MG 151 canister under the fuselage. Unfortunately, I know of no image of 1B+NX from this time so its specifics are not known. But it was almost certainly finished in standard RLM 74/75/76 colours with black codes.

The story of your father's shootdown from the German perspective is to be found in Erik Mombeek's JG 5 chronicles,Vol.1. p. 217, but only in German, unfortunately. Let me know if you want a scan of the page.

Kjetil

• Like 2

On 10/27/2021 at 11:45 AM, Jon Lake said:

Yes please! My partner reads German so that would be very helpful indeed.

So all four code letters in plain black, and no coloured spinners, bands, etc.?

J

Here'sthe page in question:

spacer.png

Edited by Kjetil Åkra
  • Like 1

Chilling? Perhaps, depending on whether your glass is half full or half empty. While gunner Ken Conway on the port beam gun was killed (that's the cause of the ominous stain down the rear fuselage), the rest of the crew survived what should have been certain death, and at least two of them are still alive today. 

My Dad always viewed it as the luckiest day of his life - the day he should have perished, but was instead saved, along with all but one of his mates.

A little before 3pm (after a 5:34 am take off), Nick Nicholson in the rear turret spotted three grey/green Bf 110s approaching fast from astern. Two of the 110s came up on the starboard beam to give the Lib a good look over - perhaps making sure that this B-24 was a hostile. On another occasion the crew encountered nine Ju 88s who simply gave them a cheery wave - perhaps thinking they were KG200?

This time, though, the three 110s attacked from the port side, standing well off and pumping 30-mm into the Lib, out of reach of the B-24's defensive 0.5 machine guns. Conway was killed in the first couple of attacks, the port inner was put out of action, the fuel tanks were holed and Nicholson was badly injured (he subsequently had to have one leg amputated). Jack Frost's skilful flying (which included tight downward corkscrews FROM 800 ft down to 200 ft, and which saw the Lib standing on one wingtip) prevented the aircraft's destruction, though after landing engineers counted more than 300 bullet and shell holes in poor old EW288, which was written off.

When the Bf 110s ran out of cannon shells, they pressed their attacks closer, and at this point (during the ninth attack, after 40 minutes of combat), Merv Gollan in the mid-upper turret was able to hit one of the attackers, which was observed leaving the scene on fire and trailing heavy smoke from one engine. Soon afterwards, presumably low on fuel, the other two enemy fighters withdrew. I believe that both sides claimed and were credited with a kill!

The Lib limped back to Sumburgh (the nearest airfield, since there was no way on earth they were ever getting back to Leuchars) with the crew jettisoning everything that wasn't 'nailed down'. This included the depth charges, which had to be manually released by the F/E, standing on the narrow catwalk along the centre of the bomb bay, and relying on their weight to push open the partially jammed bomb bay doors. The Lib landed wheels up on the runway (contrary to the wishes of ATC, who were expecting the return of a Beaufighter squadron), before skidding off onto the grass. 

The incident was not judged to be a 'productive action' in that no U-boat or ship was sunk or damaged, and under standing Group rules and regulations this limited the tally of medals given to the crew  - a DFC went to Frost, and a DFM to Gollan. Promotions followed for several of the crew, however, and Sergeants Webb and Lake were commissioned - both subsequently staying in the air force into the 1970s, retiring as Wing Commander and Group Captain respectively.

Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, a dwindling number of the British members of the crew met up on the 15th November to celebrate their 'deliverance' (the crew included Aussies and Kiwis, too).

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for that extra info Jon, I had assumed from your & others early posts, the Lib had indeed been shot down & your Dad had been a survivor. The truth is much more cheering, though RIP Ken Conway. :poppy: I have made an amendment to my post.

Steve.