Landing Craft Infantry (Large) Royal Navy "98" - 1/350

Thanks Fellas.

So here's the Close down thread

RFI here :

Summary

Black Cat Models LCI (L) - 1-351 Class RN Version

Ben Druel at Black cat is doing a splendid job of creating 3D/resin printed vessels that we were never likely to see produced in Styrene by the large Model firms.  I Love them.  They may not have the sex appeal of the large German and British battleships etc but they have a character all of their own and deserve greater recogntion for the invaluable role they played in the amphibious landings of WW2.  They really are beautifully  produced and for once as @RGL Greg pointed out -  you get a whole kit with state of the art detail fittings that needs NO aftermarket goodies.  I think they porvide ideal models to experiment techniques with, such as with this offering - some advanced weathering.  Kudos to Ben for producing the mundane items such as liferings that are so necessary at this scale to provide a really authentic miniature.  Thoroughly recommended - expect a further build in more traditional Brit "D-Day" colours

IWM Collections

As modellers, we all need inspiration and mine for this build was this single IWM photograph which I found utterly evocative

LCI (L) 98

A true working craft without any of the spit and polish of Capital ships.  An utter workhorse and of course unusual in being in Amercan paint colours under a Royal Navy Ensign

The IWM collection remains a constant inspiration and apart from it's clunky search facility I thoroughly commend it.  If you haven't used it yet - you don't know what you are missing.

Paints and Weathering

Mr Duff does exceedingly good paints in US Colours as well as RN.  Sovereign Colourcoats  :clap2: Lovely to use and for deeply insecure souls like myself - you have the constant reassurance that you are using a "righter" colour than from any other paint producer.   If you dont - you should ;)

Weathering done solely with oils - I happen to use Mig Abteilung and I list previously the colours I find most useful.  Don't use more than 4 or 5.  You can always mix.  What you don't like you can always remove and you have a very long time to work them

Futher Rust effects are provided by Mig production "Light rust effects"

Rigging

As is my usual way with Infini 20 or 40 dernier gauge lycra rigging.   And on this occasion I got to try Modelkasten 0.15mm modelling wire that "Sags" :thumbsup:  Not easy to get hold of but I think it's fab and was the novel piece of this build

Extras

As Michal @socjo1 noted there are 2 x 20mm Oerlikons with 45 degree barrel elevations, that really do add to the scene.  These are Micromaster and Simon has promised some with the barrel vertical, as they appear so often in wartime photos.  

Base

As is now standard for me - Styrofoam - this time with Wave "indents" made with the hasp from a padlock and "smoothed" with Liquitex Gloss medium & Varnish and then finally gloosed over with Liquitex High Gloss Varnish.  

Name Plates

From Name It - Who else!

And thanks Again to @Danny L for his fabulous knowledge and input.  I hope I've done her justice Danny.

2021 12 14_3404

Thanks for all the fish

Rob

• Like 10

13 hours ago, robgizlu said:

As modellers, we all need inspiration and mine for this build was this single IWM photograph which I found utterly evocative

LCI (L) 98

Gidday, I've never done a model of a craft such as this but I can see the appeal in this photo. In photographing warships I've found that the camera angle can often make all the difference in the look of the vessel, the appeal of it. I wish to make a model of the USS Alaska one day - all because of a single photo in a book I had as a kid.

As I've said earlier, you've done a beautiful model of this vessel, very well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1