1/48 RAF Jaguar - best starting point?

Terry1954

So I'm contemplating a second 1/48 build (after my Meteor for a mate, RFI elsewhere) which will therefore be my second 1/48 build, in probably almost 48 years! This is not a "soon" build, but a near future lets say.

I have built many 1/72 aircraft and have many of those on the go. I'd love to build an RAF Jaguar, as I worked with these aircraft wayback, in the MOD Jaguar project office in the early 70's. Yep, I'm that old!

A beautiful aircraft, Trouble is, I am not a seasoned 48th modeller, and i hear the Airfix kii is perhaps OK, and the Kittyhawk kit is very scarce, and maybe not that good. This build won't be quick, but I want it to be good. I'm prepared to use much aftermarket if necessary. 

So the question is, am I better starting with the Airfix 1/48 jobby, or finding a Kittyhawk release and starting from that?

All ideas, opinions and such like very welcome,

Terry

My opinion is that the Kittyhawk kit, despite it's issues is better than the Airfix one.  The surface detail is nicer.

I did use pylons from the Airfix kits as the ones in the Kittyhawk kit are wrong for the RAF A/C.

My BM build is here

All the finished photos are here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t built the Kittyhawk one, but with a bit of aftermarket and some cutting this is my Airfix 1/48 Jag …

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235096476-jaguar-gr1a-xx970eh-no-6-sqn-raf-coltishall-1987/&tab=comments#comment-4138794

WIP here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235094383-coltishall-jag/

It can be built into a reasonable looking Jaguar.

• Thanks 1

both can be build to a very presentable standard.

KH needs more research (weapons, pylons, etc...)

Airfix could be build out of the box, but needs aftermarket cockpit, nozzles, wheels, for improved detail.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your comments and input. It would seem both need work, each in their own way, which is what we do I guess.

Choice may be taken out of my hands given that the KH kit seems as rare as the proverbial Hen's teeth!

Thanks again

Terry

7 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks for all your comments and input. It would seem both need work, each in their own way, which is what we do I guess.

Choice may be taken out of my hands given that the KH kit seems as rare as the proverbial Hen's teeth!

Thanks again

Terry

KH's availabillity was always difficult. But since they kind  of stopped producing kits earlier this year, there is not too much KH left in the ordinary channels!

As Exdraken has implied in the previous post, Kittyhawk have ceased their operations fairly frecently. Will the moulds be taken up by another manufacturer? I have no idea, unfortunately. I dfidn't think that the ex-Wingnuts Wing's Lancaster would ever see the light-of-day and I was very wrong about that one. 

Chris. 

I have a KH T2 and an Airfix GR1. The Airfix panel lines are variable - it may have been the first kit that they did with recessed panel lines. Fill and rescribe the widest. Use the Neomega cockpit, get an ALQ-101 from somewhere else. Reskit do wheels and burners (not sure that they will fit the AX as they are for the KH one)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

I have a KH T2 and an Airfix GR1. The Airfix panel lines are variable - it may have been the first kit that they did with recessed panel lines. Fill and rescribe the widest. Use the Neomega cockpit, get an ALQ-101 from somewhere else. Reskit do wheels and burners (not sure that they will fit the AX as they are for the KH one)

If the Reskit burners are meant for the KH kit, they might be be too large for the Airfix. I once checked the Paragon T.2 nose, flaps, and afterburners for the Airfix kit to see if I could use them to improve the KH T.2, but they were too small. After battling the KH T.2, I'm still kicking myself for selling my Airfix kit + Paragon resin.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
  • Like 1

IMO both kits have their issues - KH fatter in places that it should be, issue on the wing shape on the leading edge, if you want it closed up needs work. Airfix shape much better but softer in places and panel lines in the wrong places. There is a great thread on BM when someone corrected these mistakes. Both with issues but IMO Airfix win with a better shape.

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 1

Not built the Airfix version but have the Kitty Hawk one on a very slow build.

The wing issue has been mentioned - I have ideas for that involving slicing away the offending area and scratching with plastic sheet and filler (not a time soon).

Ordnance is a problem. First off, the pylons are totally different and the deathly stuff hanging from them is also French spec. Underwing tanks are too small. I obtained a Flightpath update set for these bits (not the pylons though).

The Brit single seater has no overwing fences, only the Sidewinder/Matra missile carriers. Curiously the two seater has them on the etched fret!

If I were starting again, I’d do a FrankenJag mixing both kits and binning what’s left.

Finally, the stickies are awful and incomplete - no wing walkway markings. One curious feature is that the pylons all have markings only found on the Cosford training examples like this

51267016105_92b1ec0847_b.jpg

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom
Mixing up my missiles
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Has the Jaguar got the radar for these missiles?

I meant Sidewinders btw!

The only CSF Agave radar equipped kitties were the maritime versions built by HAL for the Sea Eagle toting maritime strike aircraft.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/north/story/indian-air-force-jaguar-darin-iii-standards-hindustan-aeronautics-limited-192413-2014-05-11

Trevor

• Like 2

Have built both and like the OP I worked hands on with the aircraft and in the MOD Engineering Authority.

KH has better detail, but it's hard work and if I made another I'd get the Airfix kit with a resin cockpit etc.

John

• Like 1

Just to add - the later Revell boxing has really nice decals, the KH however are appalling and have important ones missing too.

For the least drama I would go with the later Revell 04996 box. The KH isnt unbuildable, but it is a bit.... taxing shall we say (I still have a T2/4 and French "A" to complement my finished GR1. Yea. Great.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 10:42 PM, Max Headroom said:

I meant Sidewinders btw!

The only CSF Agave radar equipped kitties were the maritime versions built by HAL for the Sea Eagle toting maritime strike aircraft.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/north/story/indian-air-force-jaguar-darin-iii-standards-hindustan-aeronautics-limited-192413-2014-05-11

Trevor

You don't  necessarliy need a radar for a heat seeking missile, e.g A-10s have used AIM-9s, you just need something hot to point them at.

If you have a radar however, you can 'slave' the missile seeker to look at what the radar is pointing at and this may allow the seeker to lock on faster. Without a search radar, the pilot can manually point the missile seeker directly at the target which is more work as the seeker will have a more limited view when caged in boresight mode and the pilot would rely on an aural tone changing from a 'growl' to a higher pitched 'whine' to indicate aquisition

Pappy

I have built the Airfix and had the KH. The kitty hawk surface detail was nice but there were some shape issues. Airfix is one of the two kits tooled by Occidental for them, the other being the Bucc. Shape is very sound and with some aftermarket in the cockpit the kit is lifted a level or two especially with it's comprehensive warload as included. In the end, I sold the KH and will stick with the other Afix GR1 and Heller Jag A I still have to build. Basically KH on paper the nicer kit but Afix can produce a nicer model in my view.

Edited by BushBrit66
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1