Information on RAF Hornchurch (1939) Wing Commander Required

davecov

A recent post about RAF Hornchurch has rekindled my quest for some information about it. I realise there are some places where I could ask this query (such as the Hornchurch Aerodrome Historical Trust) but I thought I would only try them if I couldn't find the answer from fellow forum members.

My query is who was the Wing Commander of RAF Hornchurch in January 1939? Note that I need to know who it was during January 1939 only. I believe there were three squadrons at Hornchurch at the time, 74, 54 and 65 Squadrons and I think that a Wing Commander CT Walkington may have been in command. Could there have been more than Wing Commander at the time?

There is a family connection with whoever the Wing Commander was but I won't reveal the nature of the connection until I know the answer! All I can say is that the Wing Commander in question was not a relative.

BTW, I grew up close to RAF Hornchurch airfield and used to play on it when I was a nipper! My mother still lives in a house that was built right next to the airfield in the Sixties and I used The Good Intent pub during the Seventies. The streets where I grew up were named after many famous RAF pilots and aircraft, Deere, Malan, Bader, Tuck, Finucane, Bouchier etc, 

Dave

• Like 1

• davecov changed the title to Information on RAF Hornchurch (1939) Wing Commander Required

Hi Dave;

Think we've swapped stories about Hornchurch in the past. My grandparents lived in Gillam Way, and this aviation mad youngster loved soaking up anything that was left there. Wish I'd been around to see the airfield before it was built over. At least there's still a little bit of history to see there. My favourite RAF station with Rochford a close second.

Had a thumb through the books I have on Hornchurch, and they all say C T Walkington, from July 38 to October 39. So I guess that would cover January 1939.

Cheers!

Steve

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve. We have.

I had the same dates but need to know that he was definitely there and if there were any other Wing Commanders at RAF Hornchurch during this month. The reason for wanting confirmation will become clearer when I spill the beans about my quest!

BTW, my mum still lives in Deere Avenue which Gillam Way comes off.

Dave

I thought I would now reveal the subject of my research. It involves a murder.

At 10am on the morning of 19th January 1939, a nightwatchman was cycling along Wood Lane, South Hornchurch and saw a bundle in a ditch. On closer inspection he saw a body of a nine-year old girl. The girl was on an old mattress and had been trussed up with her legs forced against her chest. She was naked apart from a white petticoat pulled up around her neck. The man ran to the nearest house which belonged to the Wing Commander of RAF Hornchurch Airfield which was close by. The Wing Commander's batman phoned the police.

The girl was examined at the scene by a doctor at 1120 am who confirmed that she had been dead for several hours. The subsequent autopsy was carried out by the eminent Home Office pathologist Sir Bernard Spilsbury.

Police interviewed many people including more than a dozen airman from RAF Hornchurch. However, their main suspect was Leonard Richardson who went on trial at the Old Bailey, London on 27th March 1939. A lot of the evidence was circumstantial and the jury informed the judge that there was insufficient evidence for the case to proceed further. The judge formally acquitted Leonard Richardson and he was free to go. Nobody else has ever been charged over the murder and it remains unsolved to this day.

The little girl was Pamela Doreen Coventry, my father's cousin.

Dave

• Sad 4