1/72 Special Hobby Messerschmitt Bf 109 E1, E3 & E4

Hello

As I was struggling against my Mirage 4000 for the French Fancy GB, I was working on three Special Hobby Messerschmitt Bf 109 E.

These kits were produced this year and here they are.

First the Bf 109 E1 "Yellow 14" from 6.(J)/Trägergruppe 186 during Winter 1939/1940

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next is the Bf 109 E3 "White 13" from 1./JG51 during summer 1940. I chose to open everything around the engine as it is made possible in this kit. Further I opened the radio access hatch to see with a magnifier those equipments.

spacer.png

spacer.png

and finally the Bf 109 E4 "Yellow 8" from III./JG52 in Rumania in May 1941.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I can say that these kits are easy but long to assemble due to the number of tiny details and parts. The engines are inside the cowlings ! I could have opened the canopies which are in three parts but I am too lazy to get thinner the edges.

It was a great pleasure to build them. All the schemes came from the boxes.

Patrick

spacer.png

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 1

Patrick, what a great finished project.  I just found a couple of these double-boxings, and if I didn't have about 8 other projects started, I would surely be starting one of these kits.  Did you do some sort of work in progress?  I didn't see it on the first page of BM's WIP.  

You certainly deserve a nice bottle of champagne!  So what is your preferred brand?

Congrats, 

Bob C

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Excellent trio. Interesting to see that one with the oversized crosses. 
So the story never ends….and you’ve done justice to them. 

Andy 

Thank you Andy.

Yes, I was immediately seduced by these big crosses and the witch.

I know that another Emil in Spain is already available.

Patrick

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bob C. said:

Patrick, what a great finished project.  I just found a couple of these double-boxings, and if I didn't have about 8 other projects started, I would surely be starting one of these kits.  Did you do some sort of work in progress?  I didn't see it on the first page of BM's WIP.  

You certainly deserve a nice bottle of champagne!  So what is your preferred brand?

Congrats, 

Bob C

Thank you Bob

There is no WIP here because these trio is for a French magazine to be published.

I can say that there are many small parts and everything comes together well.

Aa I have said, I did not open the canopy because I am lazy. The thickness of it is overcalled and honestly it should be either thinned or replaced with a vac formed one. On the other hand those canopies are perfectly moulded (the moving part is not glued) and with the dedicated Special Mask it was easy to paint. Remember this Is 1/72.

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, David Koktavý said:

Hello Patrick,

Very nice 109s I especially like the no.14  👌.

I have only minor reservation about the yellow colour (it appears not in RLM04 but in lemmon yellow) and furthermore stencils were red or black, not white or red-white.

Best regards,

David

Hi David

Thank you and you're right the 14 is less deep than the 8. You can compare with the tip of the propeller spinner which I painted. 

Patrick

Edited by VG 33

Terrific. They're wonderful little models.

Did you shorten the gear legs at all? I've read elsewhere that the 'sit' may be wrong, but looking at yours I'm not sure there is a problem.

Thanks,

Ian

• Thanks 1