1/72 MIG-19 Farmer Any good kits available?

David Hadland

I tried searching for this topic but no joy,

I been looking for a Mig-19 kit to complete my MIG jets collection, I've seen the SMER and ZTS Plystic(?) models and while some of them are under a tenner some kits go up to £20+, are these kits any good?

Hello David. I just completed the new too KP kit and I would recommend it as the best available in 1/72 scale. You didn't say what scale you prefer so ignore this if you want something bigger. This is the version I built.

Although I went for something colourful, standard NMF schemes are available in different boxings. This is how mine turned out:

Gz2XQ2t.jpg

My only criticism would be that the ejection seat is a bit basic and should probably be replaced. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

IIRC all these kits are copies of some sort of the old KP kit. The Smer kit should be a straight copy, the various Plastyk, Mistercraft etc. should be modified copies.. in any case crude stuff. The Plastyk kit can be found for a fiver and I'd personally not pay more than that for such a kit...

The only modern kit us the one issued by Kovozavody Prostejov.. that is the new KP, today a brand of AZ Models.

This is a nice kit, much superior to all others but also costs more

1 hour ago, old_tonto said:

Hello David. I just completed the new too KP kit and I would recommend it as the best available in 1/72 scale. You didn't say what scale you prefer so ignore this if you want something bigger. This is the version I built.

Although I went for something colourful, standard NMF schemes are available in different boxings. This is how mine turned out:

Gz2XQ2t.jpg

My only criticism would be that the ejection seat is a bit basic and should probably be replaced. 

Hope this helps.

That's the Kovozavody Prostejov (or KP) kit I meant as the only good one around. Available in a number of different boxes with different markings.

All others kit are old and/or crude. Speaking of which, I forgot the Bilek kit, that is the only one I'd consider apart from the new tool KP kit. Since the Bilek MiG-19 is hard to find and the KP one is  easily available, I would not bother though

I'll be using the Bilek kit and a Pavla cockpit and Mk.10 seat for a Pakistani Bird.  I was able to find a set of KP resin up-date parts and decals so we'll see how it turns out. 

Only thing left to finish her is some AKAN paint for the cockpit!

Happy Hunting,

WARDOG

@Giorgio N's comments about the new KP MiG-19 are "spot on" versus the old model kit. I built the old KP Mig-19 several decades ago and remember it as typical of many other brands. Okay as it went; but, not as good as the Hasegawa kits were that were then coming into the stores at that time(I went to the old Squadron shop in the Chicago area looking for kits). The new one is as @Mike Esposito describes it: "Beautiful kit!" I have bought a new ejection seat for it: the Pavla KK-2.

I forgot to mention that there is a review of the new KP MiG-19 kit in the Britmodeller "Reviews" section. You will have to search the section for the review; but, it shows the parts in excellent detail. This should help you greatly.

Joe

Earlier mentioned Mistercraft kit has surface detailing engraved so it is not at least a straight copy of the legacy KP kit. With the new generatioon KP available I wonät think it worth to built.

Cheers,

AaCee