Dune

sardaukar

2 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Anyone have any thoughts/experience to share on whether I should go to an IMAX or regular showing. My local has 3D “4DX” as well, in which the seats move and you can experience “real weather”, but I don’t fancy bouncing around in a howling sandstorm for 2.5 hours…

best,

M.

I saw it on the Cineworld superscreen 2d which I think is the Cineworld equivalent of IMAX. I would say see it on the best/biggest screen you can.

2 hours ago, Dave said:

Dynamic Digital Creations have announced on their FB page that he's planning a 1/17 kit. He'll be working with the designer George Hull to get it as accurate as possible.

Great news, although I suspect 1/17 scale will be a bit large for my display cabinet. 😀 it would dwarf all my 72nd scale armour.

I'm glad part 2 has been green lit .....when it's all complete it will be impressive.   I was a bit underwhelmed with part one tho . for me the tech was dissapointing .particularly the spice harvester . I enjoy the Lynch version much more and it's design ethic is superb .

I think I'm getting jaded tho ,the new version has a very " made forTV " feel to it and it's quite slow...

• Like 2

I finally got to see it yesterday. Visuals - 9.5/10, storytelling - 6/10. As many folks have said, it REALLY feels like part one of a much bigger story and the ending felt very abrupt, indeed.  

Also got me thinking about what Sandworms eat. Sand.... Spice.... each other? An animal that size would obviously require enormous amounts of food to survive. We see a worm apparently devouring a Spice-harvseter - it must have a very good digestive system.

It's a shame Duncan's dead, but I've read there's a chance he might appear in Part Two. 

It comes as no surprise that they left the part out about Baron Harkonnen being a predatory homosexual - that would have gone down like a new Dave Chapelle Netflix Special, in this day and age. The back-lash would have been enormous. If I were the film-maker, I would have done the same. 

Chris.  

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I finally got to see it yesterday. Visuals - 9.5/10, storytelling - 6/10. As many folks have said, it REALLY feels like part one of a much bigger story and the ending felt very abrupt, indeed.  

Also got me thinking about what Sandworms eat. Sand.... Spice.... each other? An animal that size would obviously require enormous amounts of food to survive. We see a worm apparently devouring a Spice-harvseter - it must have a very good digestive system.

It's a shame Duncan's dead, but I've read there's a chance he might appear in Part Two. 

It comes as no surprise that they left the part out about Baron Harkonnen being a predatory homosexual - that would have gone down like a new Dave Chapelle Netflix Special, in this day and age. The back-lash would have been enormous. If I were the film-maker, I would have done the same. 

Chris.  

If I remember rightly the worms eat sand plankton, so like whales basically.

I don't think Duncan will be back until a part 3 at the earliest if there is one, unless they deviate hugely from the books.

I loved the campy evilness of the harkonnens in the lynch film. I do feel this version could have been a bit darker.

• Like 1

Went to the cinema yesterday to see it and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm a huge dune fan, read Dune and all the follow on books years ago and the film popped up a lot of information from the depths of diminishing memory cells.

Unfortunately the wife hated it, this was not helped by the cinema being freezing cold, and the audio being ear splitting loud.

Cheers

Dennis

On 10/26/2021 at 8:47 PM, Steve Coombs said:

I saw this film a month ago and thought it was magnificent. Then I saw it again last Saturday to check (!), having reread the book in the interim, and it still is. Interesting how some of the dialogue goes to different characters than in the novel, but it works. And the soundtrack is excellent, I thought. I hope the cinema you watched it in had a decent sound system.

Yep watched it twice too, Really enjoyed it, Fantastic scene and the Airbourne ships are fab. I Recommended it to someone else who could not understand it and the premonitions into the future and how it could be changed. Think he should stick the the hangover.

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, moondrome said:

There's fresh new pictures from the artist making the ornithopter... Wingspan is 1 meter!! 

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?graphql_id=UzpfSTE0NTQzNTc2NzEzMDg2MjY6NDgwMDE0MzU3NjczMDAwMg%3D%3D

Holy plop... that's a big detailed model, and likely has a big detailed price tag to boot :crying: Can we have another smaller one please that will fit into small British houses? :pray:

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 4:28 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

Imagine if they let Andrei Tarkovsky at it after Solaris (1972). A 72 hour film with nothing actually happening for 70 hours of it 🤔

Nah, it would get pretty intense in the last two minutes or so, but completely beyond-normal-understanding at the same time. Before that, it would have included a man staring at a dead dog in the middle of a large puddle for at least 8 hours straight (probably with an intermittent, super earnest voice-over about the futility of man's existence). 

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Haha 1

On 25/10/2021 at 23:25, sardaukar said:

....Anyone think we might get an ornithopter or two?

Not sure if this was already posted here: Gambody offers 2 different types of Ornitopters for 3D Printing.

A bit more challenging than a injection kit but printing offers you the option to scale the Kit to your preferred size.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

About the only thing I took away from the movie was a very strong desire for an ornithopter kit!

I'm not big into cinematic spectacle, and it seemed as if Villeneuve read a book that consisted largely of dense, nuanced conversations and internal monologues, but then extracted all the scenes of conflict and peril (relatively small and peripheral parts of the book) and made an action movie out of them. I had the same feeling from the forty-odd minutes of Foundation that I managed to watch: How on earth could anyone read that book and make this film?

I suppose I'd kind of hoped for something more like the BBC's I, Claudius, in space, but I suspect the market for that sort of thing probably consists of me and one other guy. Sigh.

Anyway: I WANT AN ORNITHOPTER.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I finaly got around to watching this, and must say I was very impressed. Never liked the style of the Lynch version, but I felt this one was spot on and truer to the source material. More gritty and less trippy.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, Electric Indigo said:

MODELS ARE COMING!

From Meng, apparently:

Cool!

But strange that this was not mentioned on the Meng Website at all...

Edited by Reelyator

Those flying stands look much the same as those that come with Bandai's little box scale easy-build Star Wars kits, so I'm guessing the overall approach with these will be much the same as well. Time for a quick prayer to the God-Emepror for that to be extended to also making some 1/72 kits one day...

19 hours ago, Electric Indigo said:

First spotted on their FB page 🙄. Now on their Twitter - pretty small birds

• Like 2

Wow! This is GREAT news!!!  Thought the day was long gone where we'd see model kits from movie franchises other than Star Wars or Star Trek (both of which hold a special place in my heart)... 

If they are reasonably priced, I will buy multiples of the 'thopters...and maybe one of the harvester (even though I prefer the overall design of the newer DV Dune to Lynch's (I hated the Atreides 'thopter in that), I still prefer the wheeled bug-like Lynch Harvester to DV's boxy, industrial factory-on-tracks design, as Lynch's seemed more Dune-ish to me...)

Loved the DV 'thopters and look forward to the kits being released --- maybe if they are initially on the smaller side, if these sell well-enough, Meng will release larger-scaled versions...?

Fingers crossed!

And thanks for the update!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B. 

• Like 4

I won't mind if they're smallish, hopefully that also makes them affordablish too. I really like the look of the Harkkonen one but they being the baddies, I'll feel obliged to go for an Atreides one, maybe I could buy both if they're not too spendy. :)

Steve.

• Like 1