Dune

sardaukar

I saw this film a month ago and thought it was magnificent. Then I saw it again last Saturday to check (!), having reread the book in the interim, and it still is. Interesting how some of the dialogue goes to different characters than in the novel, but it works. And the soundtrack is excellent, I thought. I hope the cinema you watched it in had a decent sound system.

Went to see Dune this afternoon and loved it. Then again, I liked the original 1984 version which I think was ahead of its time. And it must be 40 odd years since I read the book. But this remake is magnificent and the Zimmer score is wonderful. Sound system in our local independent cinema did the score total justice. Going back for a second viewing next week 

SD

• Like 1

It is an awesome movie and visually everything I wished for since I discovered SF book covers at the dawn of time. Add the acting & music on top of that, and it's a great experience.

As a moviegoer, I think the third (fourth?) act after the Harkonnen invasion could have been shorter – actually, a lot shorter. It becomes a little exhausting, like a walk through the desert...

On 10/26/2021 at 8:25 AM, sardaukar said:

Anyone think we might get an ornithopter or two?

Those were one of the highlights of the movie. Loved the ornithopters. Brilliant. I want to build one or three. 

Being a great fan of the books, I went in thinking well at least the trailers looked good. Result, I thought the movie was excellent. They tended to pick the main character arcs and made some changes which I can understand. I pity anyone who does not know the books intermittently because the complex political/factional machinations are such an important part and difficult to get across in the time available. A key part in the books is the relationship between Jessica and Dr Yueh which was touched on but not developed and some sacrifices were made for a simpler plot within the time available.  Also, not knowing the stories pre-history some may wonder why so much use of blade weapons' and no computer smarts at this time in the future. Frank Herbert had this covered. I thought the actors selected to play the roles were excellent. No clash with my image from the books and Rebecca Ferguson did an exceptional job as Jessica.  Oh, and the ornithopters, did I mention those?

I hope part 2 happens - can't wait to see how they play Alia and Feyd Rautha (I thought Sting did a good job in David Lynch's version). And @sardaukar, yes, the screen portrayal of your namesakes were cool.

As an aside, gave up Apple+ Foundation series after 4 episodes just too much mismatch with the books, characters, themes etc.etc. Maybe Ok, if it was a Sci-fi story with a different name. For me, just too far from the source material.

Ray

• Like 3

Saw it the other day, and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Loved the Ornithopters, and the rest of the visuals were great too.  It's surprising how similar to the film it was in many respects, and having watched the 1984 version, it was mainly the toe-curling whispering "thoughts" that had been added to help us thickos understand it, and the ridiculous mouth staining and eyebrows of the mentats that had been omitted, ignoring the march of SFX technology of course.  At 2.5 hours long I found it went by quite quickly, but the ending was a bit anti-climactic for me.  Sure they have to cut it somewhere, and I suppose it's got to be done away from the main action segments, but I'm a little worried that they didn't film the two parts back-to-back.  Apparently, the 2nd half is reliant on the profit made from part 1, so I hope that the HBO synchronous release and Covid stay-at-home aspect didn't ruin the numbers.  To me, the second half should be made, but I hope Timothee and the other younger members haven't changed too much by the time they get it in the digital can.

As a kid I found the book a bit dense, but when I revistited it later I found it a worthy read.  Before the days of the internet, I didn't follow the rest of the sequence, so I'm not sure how the story went from there.  A lot of folks say that it was the inspiration for Space Operas like Star Wars, and I think that's fair, so even if you don't like Dune, we've probably got to thank it for the ideas.  I wonder what Jodorowsky's Dune would have been like?  Trippy and weird, at a guess if it had Dali as the Emperor.  The documentary is worth a watch just for the artwork and designs by Dan O'bannon, Moebius, Chris Foss and the inimitable H R Giger of Alien fame.  Oh, and some of those dudes went on to create Alien, so we've got him to thank for bringing them together. :)

41 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

I thought Sting did a good job in David Lynch's version

"All I can see is an Atreides that I want to kill".  "My my Feyd, what lovely metal underpants you're wearing".

Not sure about that second quote :hmmm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I loved the book, probably the best Scifi book of all time, however the later books in the main series arent in the same league, and the books that came after Herbert's death are contract written pap like certain franchise fiction, although they do expand on the universe and have interesting ideas. 

One of the strengths of the original was the world building and I must've read the Glossary of Dune at least twice as many times as I've read the novel. As you can tell the Sardaukar had an impact on my young mind. This was cemented by playing the Dune video games which were a precursor to the Command and Conquer series of video games. The Sardaukar were a hireable elite infantry unit in the first game and House Corino's standard infantry unit in the second game.

Its interesting that I've heard it called 'Game of Thrones in space' but it too must've inspired Martin in his works. One set of works it has had a major influence on is Warhammer 40k which borrowed many ideas from the novels, although you wont hear them admitting that these days.

The film is great and a must see for any Dune or Scifi fan. But Id really like to see more of that world  universe building going on, we never got to see the Emperor at all, hard in a film I know. I was worried that with the exclusion of Fyed that they may try and amalgamate his character with Raban. Combat was always questionable in the series but everyone running around with more enthusiasm than skill or tactics during the invasion reminded me of the David Lynch movie a lot. Although at least Josh Brolin wasnt carrying a pug this time around. This version is a bit Po faced compared with Lynch's and I kinda missed the Baron shouting in glee about being knee deep in Atreides blood.

But cant wait to see what they do with part 2.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mike said:

I hope Timothee and the other younger members haven't changed too much by the time they get it in the digital can

Don't worry - Timothée doesn't age.

I'm very happy about the overall enthusiastic reception I see. SF seemed to have come down to decoration for animated superhero comics lately.

I also welcomed the monolithic, more architecural approach to spaceship design. Minor letdowns IMO were the Sardaukar outfits, again they look like guys in Hazmat suits. The Harkonnen soldiers were much more menacing, and they got some cool hardware, too.

spacer.png

The movie won me over right at the beginning with the Harkonnen harvester sequence.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mike said:

I wonder what Jodorowsky's Dune would have been like?  Trippy and weird, at a guess if it had Dali as the Emperor.  The documentary is worth a watch just for the artwork and designs by Da

In one word.... unwatchable. I've read the his original screenplay would have made a 14 hour movie and had only a passing resemblance to the novel. From what I've seen of Jodorowsky's films, they were made in the assumption that the audience were as high-as-kites and would have had a much greater tolerances for his artistic excesses. 

Personally, I am very glad he never got to make his version of Dune.

Chris.   

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spruecutter96 said:

In one word.... unwatchable. I've read the his original screenplay would have made a 14 hour movie and had only a passing resemblance to the novel. From what I've seen of Jodorowsky's films, they were made in the assumption that the audience were as high-as-kites and would have had a much greater tolerances for his artistic excesses. 

Chris.   

It would have been a unique visual spectacle but probably very little to do with the novels.

But then people probably said the same about Stanley Kubrick's 2001 at the time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I'm glad he tried, as we got some awesome artwork and design ideas, plus it may well have been responsible for bringing the Alien creators together, but at 14 hour movie? No thanks :fraidnot:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I'm glad he tried, as we got some awesome artwork and design ideas, plus it may well have been responsible for bringing the Alien creators together, but at 14 hour movie? No thanks :fraidnot:

Imagine if they let Andrei Tarkovsky at it after Solaris (1972). A 72 hour film with nothing actually happening for 70 hours of it 🤔

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Andrei Tarkovsky at it after Solaris (1972). A 72 hour film with nothing actually happening for 70 hours of it

Tarkovsky is an interesting example of "art over commerce". He's also the darling of the "cineaste" brigade. The fact that he died in his fifties probably adds to his mytsique.

After decades of reading what a stunning piece of cinema "Stalker" was, after finally getting to see it, I really couldn't see what the fuss was about, TBH. A lifeless, pretentious, head-scratching, slow-trickle of a movie (although some of the cinematography was stunning, admittedly). I think the Russians mistake looking depressed and / or anxious for great acting - it really isn't. Maybe I simply didn't get its brilliance or nuances (but I have other theories on that one). 

Chris. 

I watched Tarkovskij " Andrei rublev" expecting a super boring film like Solaris and was surprised by its awesomeness. But not science fiction, historic film set in Russian middle age.  But is always a matter of personal taste i guess

4 minutes ago, moondrome said:

I watched Tarkovskij " Andrei rublev" expecting a super boring film like Solaris and was surprised by its awesomeness. But not science fiction, historic film set in Russian middle age.  But is always a matter of personal taste i guess

11 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Tarkovsky is an interesting example of "art over commerce". He's also the darling of the "cineaste" brigade. The fact that he died in his fifties probably adds to his mytsique.

After decades of reading what a stunning piece of cinema "Stalker" was, after finally getting to see it, I really couldn't see what the fuss was about, TBH. A lifeless, pretentious, head-scratching, slow-trickle of a movie (although some of the cinematography was stunning, admittedly). I think the Russians mistake looking depressed and / or anxious for great acting - it really isn't. Maybe I simply didn't get its brilliance or nuances (but I have other theories on that one). 

Chris. 

I really need to get around to waching Rublev at some point, I actually really liked Solaris and Stalker for what they were, I was lucky enough to see both in the cinema without any distractions (I suspect at home I would far more easily have gotten tired) and would describe the experience as looking at a great masterpiece painting for an hour - slowly seeing and discovering all of the intricate details and discovering the artists' journey even though nothing is actually changing or moving.

As for 'art over commerce' - he was very "lucky" to have the support and funding of the Soviet state film boards, who although obviously offering their own obstructions and restrictions, treated film funding like that for artworks, wanting to make something to show off Soviet culture and art to the nation and to the West rather than looking for commerical viability.

• Like 1

Anyone have any thoughts/experience to share on whether I should go to an IMAX or regular showing. My local has 3D “4DX” as well, in which the seats move and you can experience “real weather”, but I don’t fancy bouncing around in a howling sandstorm for 2.5 hours…

best,

M.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:25 PM, sardaukar said:

I'm just back from seeing the new Dune at the cinema, amazing visuals and some very nice flying things.

Anyone think we might get an ornithopter or two?

Dynamic Digital Creations have announced on their FB page that he's planning a 1/17 kit. He'll be working with the designer George Hull to get it as accurate as possible.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Anyone have any thoughts/experience to share on whether I should go to an IMAX or regular showing.

IMAX a must. I am not a fan of 3D and yet thoroughly enjoyed the experience. This was my second showing. The first was regular 3D and was great but nowhere near the experience on IMAX. Exceptional.

• Like 1