Airfix 1/72 Lightning F2a to F6 conversion

phat trev

I have the 'new' tool Airfix 1/72 Lightning F2a and after a bit of debate and researh (and a change of mind) I have decided I want to make a later F6 version. Knowing both the Airfix model F2a and F6 are very similar, what would be required to upgrade the F2a? Apart from the ugly overwing tanks. Thanks

Extended cable duct on the F.6, no nose guns, if you want to make a later one with guns in the forward part of the tank which would need some scratch building otherwise you could build an early F.6 without the guns.  A lot of the NMF jets can be seen without the guns.

F.6 could carry Firestreak or Red Top missile, F.2A, Firestreak only.

Others will know more but that's the crux of it.

• Like 3

Just another thought, the F. 6 had full OR. 349(?) instrumentation known as IFICS in service and grey painted cockpits.  AFAIK, the F.2A only got partial IFICS, I did read somewhere that the majority of the cockpit remained in black as it was for the F.2 and some portions of the cockpit were painted grey but I can't confirm that and I'm willing to be put right on that.

Thanks both. the exterior changes then are not too extensive. I  have no plans on adding overwing tanks so no need to add this to the upgrade. What does the Airfix F6 come with on the sprues that the F-2a does not, looks like it could just be the said belly tank duct change and tanks? 

F2a only cleared for service with Firestreak missiles, the F6 cleared for service with both missiles types. the radar was also different but it was internal differences.

F2a had a black Cockpit as has been mentioned. If you can find an F6 kit it would have the decals too as the two F2a Sqn's never operated the F6.

42 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

F6 Specific sprue, note red tops and their rails, overwing tanks, no nose guns and ventral gun bulges plus longer tubing.  lightningf6_2.jpg

That was the sprue I was going to photo as well. I'll do a photo of the Decal sheet.