Airfix 1/72 Lightning F2a to F6 conversion

phat trev

I have the 'new' tool Airfix 1/72 Lightning F2a and after a bit of debate and researh (and a change of mind) I have decided I want to make a later F6 version. Knowing both the Airfix model F2a and F6 are very similar, what would be required to upgrade the F2a? Apart from the ugly overwing tanks. Thanks

I don't know what's going on here?  This thread is showing as having had no replies but I'm damn sure I answered it on Monday.

The answer I gave to this question then was the F.6 has longer cable ducts, no nose guns, the ability to carry both Red Top and Firestreak missiles, all grey cockpit with IFICS instrumentation and in many, but not all cases, guns carried in the forward part of the ventral tank.

If you use the F.2A kit and extend the cable ducts as well as paint the cockpit grey you could make a Firestreak equipped, non gun aircraft, a lot of NMF aircraft were in this configuration.

Unless we are all having a collective case of senility some forum gremlins are afoot. Anyway missing the f6 sprue which can be found in our review section, which contains the additional missles, rails, long pipes, tanks and the right gun parts for the nose and belly.  I shall have a look see what spares I have edit: I have a full f6 spare that I would part with for a fee, though I have a few missles and rails, a set of the belly part and numerous over wing tanks.

Edited by PhantomBigStu

If I were you, I'd get a kit of the F6 and build that, then get hold of an Alleycat conversion to convert the F2A to an F1 or F3!

I found the table at the bottom of this page very useful for listing the features that distinguish each particular mark of Lightning: https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/history.php

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wez said:

I don't know what's going on here?  This thread is showing as having had no replies but I'm damn sure I answered it on Monday.

There were 2 identical threads. You guys originally answered the other thread which is slowly sinking down the page and then answered in this thread bringing it up above the other one. The Mods will need to do their magic and merge them.

Duncan B