1/72 "Latin American Deltas"

Greetings,

I just wanted to share a few pictures of these jets I built rather slowly during the past year. They have a common theme in belonging to South American air forces, and being delta winged aircraft.

The first one is a Modelsvit 1/72 Mirage III EBR, built in the "azure grey" scheme. Aftermarket used is Master pitot tube and Reskit Mirage IIIE resin engine nozzle. Also replaced gun barrels with hypodermic needles, and added some brake lines to gear legs from copper and lead wires. Very nice kit, had fun building it, just required some patience, as fit is rather tight in some places and it has the typical feeling on a short run kit. Out of the box they include PE and masks.

The second one is the AMK 1/72 Kfir C2. I picked a Ecuatorian machine from the 1995 Cenepa War, the one that scored a "lucky" aerial kill on a Peruvian A-37 Dragonfly. Used Eduard dedicated PE set, Master pitot tube, Aires resin engine nozzle and New Ware mask set. Scratchbuilt brake lines and various small aerials that were appearently missing from the kit.

The third one was the most time consuming, as it took me 7 months just to get the parts for it, haha. It is a Ecuatorian 1/72 "long-nose" Kfir C10, built from the 1/72 AMK kit as well, but using a resin conversion set by Scaleworx resin, and decals by Aztec modelling from Mexico. These two aftermarket items were a proper nightmare to acquire in Central Europe where I live. There is some scratchbuild lumps and bumps all over it also, as the conversion set doesn't include everything I needed (instrument panel coaming, various aerials, etc.). Other upgrades include Kfir rear fuselage pylons by Armycast.cz, Master pitot tube, some parts from a Kfir C7 Eduard PE set, Aires resin nozzle. Loadout involves 2 TERs out of the box, so in total the jet comes with a spectacular amount of 10 Mk82 bombs. I had spares from the second AMK kit I built before. Decals for weapons and pylons are sadly omitted from the kit, so I used some spare ones I could find.

All three are far from perfect, as I don't own an airbrush, they were completely brush painted, and achieving a proper thin coat with minimal brush marks is still a skill I need to master. But with each model I feel it is getting a bit better. Also experimenting with various "dedicated" brush-only thinners and various paints and brush types. I mostly used AMMO Mig and Vallejo acrylics, including pin wash and varnishes. Weathering is perhaps a bit overdone and uneven, I admit. Used Tamiya weathering master products. I like those a lot. Photography could be better also, I used a very shiny background and the lighting is too much "in your face", that is my opinion.

Anyway, I will try to improve for my next model. To continue this latin american trend, I am eyeing a Ecuatorian Atlas Cheetah C and a Cuban Mig-21 next... but both involve "hard to get" products, haha. Scaleworx makes a Cheetah conversion and Aztec has some proper nice Cuban Raiders decal set... they might arrive by Christmas.... next year! 🤣

If I have some spare time later on, I might write a bit longer post detailing construction. The kits are great, don't get me wrong, I just think there is some parts where the modeller has to pay attention, in order not to complicate later work for himself.

U2h1JaI.jpg

WQ7bzhz.jpg

9887BlR.jpg

ZSEAQjb.jpg

IuYqzX9.jpg

01InbLc.jpg

IjHMlI4.jpg

wcd4va4.jpg

HqXi9sq.jpg

z6XEJNb.jpg

d8lOhFa.jpg

hhYPsxt.jpg

TtSuIfr.jpg

SGArAIv.jpg

awSb7Ga.jpg

1DwhP26.jpg

qgTlZKZ.jpg

DbTzN72.jpg

Hs51zem.jpg

xBqXyn0.jpg

Vw1lVmd.jpg

• Like 52

Wow  great results!

Can't see the C10 currently, but judging by the other, this is also a gem!

You absolutely nailed them!@

:partytime:

Edit:, now all photos show :)

interesting armament on the C10!!

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for nice comments. I didn't expect such positive feedback.

12 hours ago, Josh G said:

Excellent, is FAE 905 one that scored an aerial victory in the '95 war?

Yes, it is the one. According to some literature I read, the jet was piloted by a certain Capt. Mauricio Mata on Feb 10th 1995, and he had to use 2 Shafrir Mk.2 missiles, because the Peruvian A-37B pilot was much more skilled flying a subsonic aircraft and chose to turn to face the incoming Kfir and evaded the first missile this way. Reportedly, the Ecuatorian Kfirs didn't even jettison drop tanks before engaging in the dogfight. The second missile destroyed the Dragonfly's rudder and thus the crew had to eject, but returned safely to home base. The FAE 905 Kfir received a kill marking painted below the cockpit nevertheless. I think the jet was later repainted and upgraded to C10 standard.

Also interesting choices to build from this conflict would be a Mirage F1JA, reg. FAE 806, which reportedly shot down a Peruvian Su-22 the same day.

Another curious one is Kfir C2, reg. FAE 907, which was appearently in the process of being repainted when the conflict started, and thus it flew with a very unique 4 color (brown/green/light green/blueish green) mixed camouflage scheme on the upper surface. There is only a few reference photos of this jet available though, as it was later repainted again...

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

Wow  great results!

Can't see the C10 currently, but judging by the other, this is also a gem!

You absolutely nailed them!@

:partytime:

Edit:, now all photos show :)

interesting armament on the C10!!

Thank you, the armament is based on this picture below. Even though I suspect those are inert/training bombs? Or basically just ordnance put on the jet for purpose of showing off during a parade or something, haha. Most C10 FAE Kfirs only really fly with a couple AA missiles, usually Python 3s and drop tanks, from what I can tell. On the other hand, I've seen Colombian Kfirs with various targeting pods, Rafael Derby missiles, Python 4s and 5s, etc.

K2H9BFj.jpg

Edited by drake122
  • Like 1

Quit pulling my leg!  You used a $400 Iwata airbrush on those three!  😄

Fantastic job.  I couldn't brush paint that well if my immortal soul depended on it!

• Thanks 1

Definitely outstanding work... there's no way I could paint anything close to acceptable with a brush!

I built the AMK kit (Israeli Kfir C7 version) myself a year or two back, thoroughly enjoyable to work on... now seeing yours I'm itching to build another one some day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RaceAddict said:

Definitely outstanding work... there's no way I could paint anything close to acceptable with a brush!

I built the AMK kit (Israeli Kfir C7 version) myself a year or two back, thoroughly enjoyable to work on... now seeing yours I'm itching to build another one some day.

Thank you.

I have one more AMK Kfir in the stash, however, in the back of my mind there is a thought that I should get 2-3 more. 🤣

It is becoming harder and harder to get in hobby shops and I have a feeling there will be a shortage, unless AMK release another batch, or Eduard rebox it, or something.

1 hour ago, Pete in a shed said:

All of them are superbly done but I love FAE 901, the slightly ungainly nose makes it look more buisnesslike in my view.

Pete

Haha, thank you, but that gives me another build idea... a Israeli Shahak with Tsniut nose and 13 kill markings. Now that looks even more businesslike. 😇

7YaVJJV.jpg

In fact, there is so many exotic Mirage variants to pick from, I could spend my entire life building just Mirage/Kfir/Cheetah/Pantera/ROSE/whatever models.🤪

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9895

Pink Mirage anyone?

6gifQOu.png

Edited by drake122
  • Like 3

Fantastic trio. Those kits, Modelsvit & AMK are superb to start off with plus that Scaleworx conversion for the C10 makes it look the business.

C10 is definitely the star. I ordered my TC-12 conversion & it does take quite some time to arrive, but it's worth it in the end. 

Martin

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2021 at 11:50 PM, Lightningboy2000 said:

Fantastic trio. Those kits, Modelsvit & AMK are superb to start off with plus that Scaleworx conversion for the C10 makes it look the business.

C10 is definitely the star. I ordered my TC-12 conversion & it does take quite some time to arrive, but it's worth it in the end. 

Martin

Indeed, I was lucky to find the C10 conversion set in a dutch hobby shop, however next I was looking for the Cheetah set as well and that is out of stock literally everywhere. So I contacted Scaleworx resin and ordered directly, but they only work on demand appearently, they don't carry any stock. 🤷‍♂️ Had to pay in advance, but I am hopeful I won't be scammed.🤣

• Like 1

13 hours ago, drake122 said:

Indeed, I was lucky to find the C10 conversion set in a dutch hobby shop, however next I was looking for the Cheetah set as well and that is out of stock literally everywhere. So I contacted Scaleworx resin and ordered directly, but they only work on demand appearently, they don't carry any stock. 🤷‍♂️ Had to pay in advance, but I am hopeful I won't be scammed.🤣

He, (I think it's John if I recall & he's on Britmodeller) does mould orders on demand. Definitely worth the wait & remember it has to go through customs coming out of South Africa then on the way into the UK. Worth the wait.

13 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

He, (I think it's John if I recall & he's on Britmodeller) does mould orders on demand. Definitely worth the wait & remember it has to go through customs coming out of South Africa then on the way into the UK. He won't scam you. 🙂

This is the result of the TC.12 AMK 1/72 conversion. All fitted the AMK fuselage really well. Part of the top of the fuselage had to be cut away for the resin spine to sit in a recess, so had to be careful what I cut away from the kit. 

AMK/Scaleworx 1/72 Kfir C7 converted to a Columbian AF TC.12

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

He, (I think it's John if I recall & he's on Britmodeller) does mould orders on demand. Definitely worth the wait & remember it has to go through customs coming out of South Africa then on the way into the UK. Worth the wait.

I was in contact with him, I think he is actually based in Tbilisi, Georgia, but regardless the order will have to through customs, yes.

Nicely built TC12. Where are the decals from? Particularly the KFIR writing on the fin? And the targeting pod? I don't think the Scaleworx set has those, or does it?

I stayed away from any two seater versions so far as I have no experience working with vacform canopies yet. But perhaps next year. I am a bit worried about the AMK Kfir selling out by then though.🤣