Land Rover series II kits in 1:24 scale?

bootneck

Anyone know of a kit of the series II Land Rover in 1:24 scale?   I've checked Hannants but nothing comes up in that scale although they do have a series III. 

I want to have a go at a larger scale vehicle and plan to build a model of the first Land Rover I drove when in the forces.

cheers,
Mike

Was it used in Norn I'rn?

If so, there is a small company in Comber, County Down which does limited run resin kits of British Army vehicles and Artics in 1/24. 

The vehicles are extremely well detailed

You're looking at betwixt £250 and £400 for a kit

eg a Humber Pig was about £360

• Like 1

Ouch!

The period I used mine was 1966-1968, after that we had the half-ton lightweight.  I may have to have a go at scratchbuilding if nothing else, affordable, is out there.

cheers,
Mike

Hello Ade,

to be honest, I didn't realise large scale vehicle kits would cost so much.  This would have been my first venture into the large scale stuff, mainly as I've been so impressed with other's builds on here.  Ah well, I shall have to be more realistic with my ideas and downscale somewhat.  There is a series II in 1:35 scale; the Tamiya Pink Panter, which is much more affordable for my little venture.  It appears that most of what I need would be included in that kit and all I should need to do is scratchbuild everything above the bonnet level.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 2

Italeri have reboxed the old 1/24 Esci 109 which might be bashable to what you want, I think it's an S3.  They also do a 1/35 109 S3 too, this has military pattern bumpers.

39 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hello Ade,

to be honest, I didn't realise large scale vehicle kits would cost so much.  This would have been my first venture into the large scale stuff, mainly as I've been so impressed with other's builds on here.  Ah well, I shall have to be more realistic with my ideas and downscale somewhat.  There is a series II in 1:35 scale; the Tamiya Pink Panter, which is much more affordable for my little venture.  It appears that most of what I need would be included in that kit and all I should need to do is scratchbuild everything above the bonnet level.

cheers,
Mike

If you go down to 1/35 and convert might the Revell kit be a better starter?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03246-4x4-off-road-vehicle-series-iii-109-lwb--765199

53 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Italeri have reboxed the old 1/24 Esci 109 which might be bashable to what you want, I think it's an S3.  They also do a 1/35 109 S3 too, this has military pattern bumpers.

32 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

If you go down to 1/35 and convert might the Revell kit be a better starter?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03246-4x4-off-road-vehicle-series-iii-109-lwb--765199

Hi Malpasso and Fred,

I'm not sure which would be the more difficult:  making the windscreen, canopy bars and tilt, or changing the grill and headlamps to the earler version.   Thanks for the link to Scalemates, I just noticed that Italeri also did an FFR version [#6353].  The Landy's I drove were radio fit; however, that kit appears to be out of stock everywhere.

As to which scale, being a 1:144 model builder, both 1:35 and 1:24 scale would be classed as very large to me, so probably not much in it.   That Scalemates isn't good for me as my interest has now changed to that Italeri FFR! :dog:

Off to search the bazaars,  thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

Mike

The Ffr kit is hard to find now ..they do come up occasionally and the radio kit is a bit odd ..I got a larkspur set from a company to add to it …nice model though 

Hi viper-30,

I think you are right,  I can't find any FFR's but I have found this which is probably the same as the BK mentioned, and is available at a price I can afford.  I shall work at making a replacement front grill and light assemby;  plus have a go at making a cage for it.   I started with Larkspur:  A41, C42 and C11/R210 etc., then moved on to Clansman 3xxx range.

cheers,
Mike

10 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi viper-30,

I think you are right,  I can't find any FFR's but I have found this which is probably the same as the BK mentioned, and is available at a price I can afford.  I shall work at making a replacement front grill and light assemby;  plus have a go at making a cage for it.   I started with Larkspur:  A41, C42 and C11/R210 etc., then moved on to Clansman 3xxx range.

cheers,
Mike

That’s cool Mike 

using one of these at the moment to build my Land Rover on here . You can use the early tamiya Land Rovers to give you the early grill and light configuration you would need.. larkspur was on the way out when I joined with clansman coming in ..

KFS do the lightweight air portable Landy, though I see he has stopped using the words Land Rover on his site, they probably wanted too much money from him.

I must say I have his Land Rover ambulance an FV432, while they are expensive you get what you pay for from them. The kits are extremely well made, need no clean up and have everything you need in the box down to lengths of evergreen struct etc.

spacer.png

• Like 2

I scratch-build a 1/24th scale LR Series 1 using the wheels and some suspension components from 1/24th

Hasegawa Jeep (or Italeri do a Jeep as well). See  http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4382&hilit=land+rover  The link includes a scale drawing.

For an early 1/24th scale Series II it should be possible to use wheels from a larger tyre 1/35th scale kit e.g. a Tamiya gun tractor.  Ans as you can see a model Land Rover is a fairly easy shape to replicate as there are primarily flat edges and simple curves.  

There is another very nice scratch build 1/24 Series I here http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9155&hilit=land+rover  and another one at http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7740&hilit=land+rover

Burago do a diecast Land Rover in 1/24th but I think its Series III

Bu the way if anyone is looking at Kit Form Services kits you need to be very quick as they are in the process of closing down.

Edited by dcrfan

12 hours ago, Julien said:

KFS do the lightweight air portable Landy, though I see he has stopped using the words Land Rover on his site, they probably wanted too much money from him.

Thanks Julien,

That 1:24 lightweight Landy, plus the larger tractor units, look absolutely stunning but way out of my budget range I'm afraid. 

I have managed to acquire a 1:35 scale lightweight...........

spacer.png

for a future build.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dcrfan said:

I scratch-build a 1/24th scale LR Series 1 using the wheels and some suspension components from 1/24th

Hasegawa Jeep (or Italeri do a Jeep as well). See  http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4382&hilit=land+rover  The link includes a scale drawing.

Hello dcrfan,

I may do something similar and will probably draw it up in CAD first.  That could be a nice little test to see if my CAD skills are improving......  or not!

cheers,
Mike

I've decided to try and do something scratchbuilt.  First off, getting the series II grill done.

Here's a start:

spacer.png

The grill isn't too narrow, it is viewed at a slight angle on this shot.

Mike

• Like 1

Don't know if you access Facebook, but Motobitz is about to release a full 1/24 Series 2 Landrover conversion set in resin and brass etch for the 2 and 2a variants.

Link here: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1233534410460624&set=a.117434858737257

Hope this helps;

Steve