Queen's Flight Heron colours

dalea

You have a choice of schemes....

Red with blue cheatline

Silver (polished metal) with blue cheatline

and one flown by the Duke of Edinburgh was Silver (polished metal) with Edinburgh green cheatline - this is the one I plan to build.

The first two appeared on an Airdecal sheet - I'll find you their suggestions when I'm home later in the week.

53 minutes ago, rossm said:

I'll find you their suggestions when I'm home later in the week.

Fluorescent red until the late 60's, then Signal Red BS537. 

The blue (edged in white) control surfaces, cheatlines and engine flashes are all given as decals, but the blue is quoted as Royal Blue BS106, which should be a bit darker than Roundel Blue BS110, however the blue of the decal roundels appears to be the same as the rest of the markings.

The "silver" Herons are noted as natural metal.

Serials for the silver ones are XM296 and XH375, these are also shown in the red scheme together with XM295 and XR391

There's an old issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling (V15 N2 Nov 1992) with an Aircraft in Detail on the Queens Flight including a load of Mike Keep profiles, XH375 is shown as HRH DofE's green stripe one, this was polished natural metal, but had white painted upper wing surfaces.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

There's an old issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling (V15 N2 Nov 1992) with an Aircraft in Detail on the Queens Flight including a load of Mike Keep profiles, XH375 is shown as HRH DofE's green stripe one, this was polished natural metal, but had white painted upper wing surfaces.

From Flight, referring to the Royal Heron (XH375) - "The cabin colour scheme is grey and green. The chairs are upholstered in dark-green whipcord, the walls, carpet and fittings are soft smoke grey, and the curtains are patterned light green."

I get the impression that XH375 started as the D of E's aircraft so probably with the green stripe and presumably it changed to the blue stripe later.

The photo in Flight - pre delivery but with roundels and stripe - doesn't appear to have white upper wings, later photos don't show them clearly but I reserve the right to finish my model without them as I prefer the photo to a comment with a profile per @Troy Smith's motto 😃

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rossm said:

From Flight, referring to the Royal Heron (XH375) - "The cabin colour scheme is grey and green. The chairs are upholstered in dark-green whipcord, the walls, carpet and fittings are soft smoke grey, and the curtains are patterned light green."

I get the impression that XH375 started as the D of E's aircraft so probably with the green stripe and presumably it changed to the blue stripe later.

The photo in Flight - pre delivery but with roundels and stripe - doesn't appear to have white upper wings, later photos don't show them clearly but I reserve the right to finish my model without them as I prefer the photo to a comment with a profile per @Troy Smith's motto 😃

Yes, I'd agree on XH375 being originally fitted out in the DofE's colours, the Airframe decals give this serial for the blue option, so one would assume it was later repainted into this scheme, but I'd look for confirmation to be sure

The SAM magazine article has a photo of the aircraft pre delivery with the full scheme but manufacturers trade plate reg G-5-7 The painted upper wings are clearly visible with a distinct change in tone between the painted inspar area and the unpainted upper flap and aileron surfaces. The tone matches the white of the wing roundels, and the caption states the wing upper surfaces were painted white to aid keeping the fuel tanks cool. The photo is good enough for me to say the wing uppers were white just prior to delivery to the RAF, whether this was stripped off in service I don't know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

manufacturers trade plate reg G-5-7

B Class registration ... Love the trade plate comment though .comes in handy hitching  !

• Like 1

Thanks to all who responded. I have the 26 decals sheet, so it's the red and blue one for me. Thanks Dave for reminding me  of the Queen's Flight issue of SAM which I will have to dig out. Waiting on the Valom Flamingo.

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Scrub that and do an Admirals Barge...in fetching Green and white.XM296

He does have a point, especially in this green world we live in these days 🤣

Terry

• Like 1