G'day from Australia

Darknark

Hi

I am new to the field of modelling, except for a brief foray as a seven year old when I built a 1/72 spitfire in a day, which included lots of fingerprints in the camo paint and strings of glue everywhere. :) 

Recently I returned to Australia and ended up in a quarantine hotel, so I bought an Airfix "dogfight doubles" kit, Spitfire and 109 ,to try and keep myself occupied. I didn't finish either of them as the paint that was supplied just peeled off. Maybe because no primer? Or just the paint supplied is rubbish, I am not sure.

This led me to buy a H&S Ultra airbrush, the 2/1 kit, and I have invested in Mr Hobby Aqueous paints. I tried to buy the right colours but ultimately it will be my first models so I am not expecting show quality and if the colours are off I am ok with that. A steep learning curve ahead. I am currently just waiting on a no name brand AS186 compressor to arrive and then I can have a play. 

The quality of some of the builds on this forum just blows my mind and it so far has been a great resource for someone like myself just starting out.

Thanks for having me.

Dave

• Like 6

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Welcome aboard! :clap2:

Thank you

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Dave, welcome aboard, from the west side of Oz. Your story of your first builds reminds me of my first efforts, stringy glue included. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Arnold.

I am in Perth, NOR. Do you have a favourite shop in Perth (assuming that you are in Perth)? Or do you buy online?

Gidday again, SOR, in the hills. My models are mainly Airfix ships in 1/600 scale, hard to come by now. For parts, glue, paint etc I go to SIK Hobbies in Rockingham, as I donate blood (plasma) at the Red Cross blood bank there fortnightly. For models usually Hobbytech in Myaree or Tactics in London Crt in the city. Up to now Tactics (I call it 'The Dungeon' as it's actually under London Crt) has been my preferred store because they seem to have the best range of Airfix ships but I went there yesterday for the first time since Covid-19 started here - not much available anymore although they had a good range of the other scales. I'll have to rely on the stash for future builds I think, it'll probably see me out.

I'm not much into online shopping, I'm a dinosaur in that regard, although my son and daughter got me a model that way (Revell's Scharnhorst in 1/570) a couple of years ago. I intend to build it next year as Gneisenau with 38cm guns.

What about yourself? And do you attend WASMEx? Regards, Jeff.

G’day Dave … :post1:from another former colony in Chicago. Im an aircraft builder myself, Ive heard some interesting comments about the starter set paints. You're correct about the steep learning curve, but have no fear. The Members of this forum will usually go out of their way to help and answer questions. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Gidday mate!

Another Perthite here. SOR (South of river for any confused outsiders). Welcome aboard. 
In a way you are lucky living NOR as that probably allows easy access to the Weatherill Way club rooms in Noranda. If you aren’t familiar with it I’ll give you the gen. This is an old sporting club-room in the park on Weatherill way converted to a scale modelling  den. Essentially all of Perth’s modelling clubs meet there and it’s open to interested members of the public to drop in. There are folks there most days. It might be worth dropping by some time.

see you at WASMEx 2022! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday again, SOR, in the hills. My models are mainly Airfix ships in 1/600 scale, hard to come by now. For parts, glue, paint etc I go to SIK Hobbies in Rockingham, as I donate blood (plasma) at the Red Cross blood bank there fortnightly. For models usually Hobbytech in Myaree or Tactics in London Crt in the city. Up to now Tactics (I call it 'The Dungeon' as it's actually under London Crt) has been my preferred store because they seem to have the best range of Airfix ships but I went there yesterday for the first time since Covid-19 started here - not much available anymore although they had a good range of the other scales. I'll have to rely on the stash for future builds I think, it'll probably see me out.

I'm not much into online shopping, I'm a dinosaur in that regard, although my son and daughter got me a model that way (Revell's Scharnhorst in 1/570) a couple of years ago. I intend to build it next year as Gneisenau with 38cm guns.

What about yourself? And do you attend WASMEx? Regards, Jeff.

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I bought my airbrush and paint from Hobbytech. I believe they are the dealer for H&S. I had good service from them even though I just bought online. I will definitely checkout The Dungeon next time I venture into town. Thanks for the heads up on WASMex. I had to google it. Looks like a good day out.

10 hours ago, Faraway said:

:welcome:to you. From the other side of the world.

You’ve made the right decision by joining here. Huge amount of knowledge and very friendly people.

Jon

Thanks Jon. I am a forum member on a few other unrelated forums and this one seems to be certainly the friendliest. Some other forums can get a little out of hand.

10 hours ago, Tojo72 said:

Welcome aboard

Thanks Tojo. I appreciate the welcome

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

G’day Dave … :post1:from another former colony in Chicago. Im an aircraft builder myself, Ive heard some interesting comments about the starter set paints. You're correct about the steep learning curve, but have no fear. The Members of this forum will usually go out of their way to help and answer questions. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis, thanks for the welcome.

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Gidday mate!

Another Perthite here. SOR (South of river for any confused outsiders). Welcome aboard. 
In a way you are lucky living NOR as that probably allows easy access to the Weatherill Way club rooms in Noranda. If you aren’t familiar with it I’ll give you the gen. This is an old sporting club-room in the park on Weatherill way converted to a scale modelling  den. Essentially all of Perth’s modelling clubs meet there and it’s open to interested members of the public to drop in. There are folks there most days. It might be worth dropping by some time.

see you at WASMEx 2022! 😀

Hi Steve, I will have to give the clubrooms a look. I will certainly pencil in WASMex to the diary. Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Dave. Being a 7 year old and attempting to build an airfix spitfire brings back memories..! You will find britmodeller forum and members most beneficial I suspect. Greetings from tropical far north qld.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave, welcome to BM, there're a lot of good folk here, quite a few of us from the antipodes. Noting you have already invested in an airbrush & accessories, might I counsel not rushing it too much, there can lie the way to frustration, baby steps, trying stuff out along the way until you build up confidence is a good way forward, imho anyway. :) 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Welcome to BM and to the best hobby ever.

It would have been the lack of primer and possibly the oiliness of the plastic from the handling during building. Also the little starter paint pots seem to dry up really fast. Fear not, the learning and opportunity for constant progress are what keeps model making fresh for as long as to need it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, P-3s rule said:

Welcome Dave. Being a 7 year old and attempting to build an airfix spitfire brings back memories..! You will find britmodeller forum and members most beneficial I suspect. Greetings from tropical far north qld.

Thanks, Yep a 1/72 spitfire followed by a 1/72 Lysander. TBH I am not sure my eyes or sausage fingers can deal with 1/72 anymore. :) 

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Dave, welcome to BM, there're a lot of good folk here, quite a few of us from the antipodes. Noting you have already invested in an airbrush & accessories, might I counsel not rushing it too much, there can lie the way to frustration, baby steps, trying stuff out along the way until you build up confidence is a good way forward, imho anyway. :) 

Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome and the advice. I have used an airbrush a long time ago at school so I do understand the basic functionality of it all. I am expecting a bit of an uphill battle at the start so I have tempered my expectations. I have reviewed a lot of airbrush/paint threads here and if need be I can start my own. Looked at quite a few YouTube videos and basically plan on trialling my airbrush till I can get somewhat of a handle on it before I worry about painting models with it. Painting plastic spoons seems to be popular.  😂 So probably just buy a 50 pack of spoons to start with. Learn to do lines/ circles etc.

5 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Welcome to BM and to the best hobby ever.

It would have been the lack of primer and possibly the oiliness of the plastic from the handling during building. Also the little starter paint pots seem to dry up really fast. Fear not, the learning and opportunity for constant progress are what keeps model making fresh for as long as to need it.

Thanks Bertie. I must admit I hadn't washed the plastic first so probably release agent plus my mucky fingers.  I have been following your Vulcan thread and picking some good tips as well as enjoying the stories. All the best.

• Like 1

Welcome Dave, Your first statement is a reminder from some half century or so ago. Tube glue (before you had to be an adult to buy) outlined placement markings for the decals. I sure do remember those days. Looking forward to your progress here.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Greetings from far off to your northeast and welcome to the styrene addiction group the forum!

Yes, that :poop: in the small tubs that comes with Airfix Starter kits is awful. 

Chris

16 hours ago, Duxford1985 said:

Welcome Dave from Suffolk England 😊

Hi mate, I am following your P51 build tread with interest. Hopefully I can pick a few things up

2 hours ago, f111guru said:

Welcome Dave, Your first statement is a reminder from some half century or so ago. Tube glue (before you had to be an adult to buy) outlined placement markings for the decals. I sure do remember those days. Looking forward to your progress here.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Hi Ron, well yes not far off 50 years ago for me. It's funny what sticks out in our memory from all those years ago. Stringy glue that wouldn't stay where it was supposed to stay. :)

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Greetings from far off to your northeast and welcome to the styrene addiction group the forum!

Yes, that :poop: in the small tubs that comes with Airfix Starter kits is awful. 

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the welcome. I am hoping the paints that I ordered are a little easier to get results with.

• Like 2