spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the new rebox of the Asuka M4 Composite Hull kit with the "Last Chance" markings and a few updated/corrected parts. The tank belonged to Company B, 762nd Tank Battalion and took part in the Battle of Saipan (15 June – 9 July 1944), which also featured the largest tank battle between the United States and the Empire of Japan.

Aftermarket was minimal, just a DEF Model rotor shield and metal barrel, Master Model M1919 barrels, and Panda Plastic T51 plastic workable tracks. The kit was painted with the Mr Color OD modulation set and various Ammo/Vallejo/Lifecolor acrylics for the details. The markings were masked and sprayed. It was weathered with Ammo Oilbrushers, Ammo enamels, 502 oils, and Ammo pigments.  And yes, the taillight was painted after I took these photos! 😉

Comments and criticism welcomed as always!

• Like 49
  • Thanks 3

Superlative weathering. Worn effect on stars is very realistic 👍 What happen to tracks on drive sprockets? It seems to me too distant from teeth😉.

Ciao

Filippo 

• Like 2

Superb, you've really cracked the art of worn and weathered OD, that along with the masked and sprayed markings, outstanding! 

The pattena of dust, dirt and stains along with the build up of mud, in various shades and tones around the wheels and lower hull is great. 

Really nice wood effect on the tool handles too btw.

Struggling to find anything negative but perhaps if doing another the track blocks could do with scuffing up a bit, they look to square and new, imo at least.

Brilliant work, looking forward to the next.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Superlative weathering. Worn effect on stars is very realistic 👍 What happen to tracks on drive sprockets? It seems to me too distant from teeth😉.

Ciao

Filippo 

Thanks!

Yeah, that’s the best I could do with the tracks on the sprocket unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Superb, you've really cracked the art of worn and weathered OD, that along with the masked and sprayed markings, outstanding! 

The pattena of dust, dirt and stains along with the build up of mud, in various shades and tones around the wheels and lower hull is great. 

Really nice wood effect on the tool handles too btw.

Struggling to find anything negative but perhaps if doing another the track blocks could do with scuffing up a bit, they look to square and new, imo at least.

Brilliant work, looking forward to the next.

Cheers

Darryl 

Thanks mate!

I agree with you on the rubber blocks. It’s too late I think for this one, but next time I’ll either get the pre-worn T51 tracks or just do it myself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ade H said:

Another good one, TJ. Saw this in the feed from your site at the weekend and loved what I took to be a Rinaldi-influenced style (good thing, I say).

Thanks!

Mike’s work was definitely a big inspiration for the weathering on this. I’ve also been fortunate to be chatting with Mike and he really helped guide me in the right direction when it came to working with pigments!

• Like 1

I have seen your work on this pop up on the SMCG a few times and I have to say that it really has turned out very nicely indeed! Your photography really helps to showcase your excellent work on this as well. I know where to look when I need some weathering inspiration for my OD schemes.

Wayne

• Like 1

Just repeating what most people have said, it's a lovely model' beautifully finished. What I particularly like and has caught my eye is the light dusting that you have done over all the model. It just adds a nice extra subtle layer of colour to the model that ties everything together. Really excellent, well done..👍

Ed

• Like 1

That might be one of the most beautiful Shermans i've seen in a very long time .......but you are obviously a man of taste anyway judging by your avatar and online moniker :P....Futurama might be one of the greatest animated series of all time ( along with Archer of course) so can't wait to see your next project judging by this it will be a proper corker. :goodjob:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That is such a well finished model.  I'm very envious.  And as others have said it really does show the benefit of painted markings over any other method.

Not wishing to re-open the Olive Drab debate (which I probably just have.........), which has come up here and on Missing Lynx half a dozen times in as many years, but if that's how the Mr Color OD set comes out then it's way too green for WW2 US and very disappointing for a well-regarded brand.  All 3 distinct shades of WW2 US OD No9 were very much browner than that, all being made from ochre and black pigments only with no blue.  While the pigmentation itself remained constant, changes to the paint type or formulation in early 1942 and mid 1944 resulted in visibly different shades.  Somehat greener (but not green) at the beginning and end and browner in the middle, when M4 Composites were built.  This mirrored the UK situation with KG3 to SCC2 to SCC15 in the same timeframe, but less pronounced.  Indeed the Vallejo colour #70.887 used to be called Brown Violet (as in Luftwaffe) but has recently been renamed Olive Drab: you can still find it on sale labelled with both names, confusingly.