Centurion question for an Armour newby

Covjets13

Evening all,

I want to build my dads Cent ARV, while he/we were based in Detmold with both the 9/12th and QOH in the mid to late 70’s. I do know it was a Mk2 LWB ARV, but what base kit do I need with Accurate Armour conversion. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good photos on the net?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Si 

Accurate Armour recommended any of the Meteor engined kits so I would stick with the Mk.5s. The Mk.3 would probably work but that kit was released after the Accurate Armour upgrade. I'm pretty sure the Shot Kal has a different engine deck.

Wayne

53 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

. I'm pretty sure the Shot Kal has a different engine deck.

You're right Wayne. The IDF reengined them with Continental Teledyne diesels, which was the same engine in the Magachs (M48) that the Israelis were just taking delivery of. So the Shot Kal kits will have a different engine deck.

John.

• Like 1

But the AFV Club Sho't Meteor kit (#35159) is basically a vanilla Mk5 with some minimal mods - as the early Sho'ts were.  The Australian kit (#35100) would work too, but IIRC doesn't include side skirts.

Something that may influence your choice.  AFV Club's new Mk5/1 "4 RTR Berlin" boxing now comes with solid plastic roadwheel tyres and rims instead of those nasty old vinyl ones.  But they don't have the reinforcing rings because of the moulding limitations.  Same flaw with the Amusing Mk5s.  Several brands of resin replacement wheels are available: MR Modellbau, Brach Model, Sovereign 2000, Panzer Art, £15-25.

Because ARVs spent a lot of time out on the public roads recovering dead vehicles many of them were fitted with rubber block "Hush Puppy" tracks to minimise road damage.  AFV Club offer these as an add-on, but expect to pay £15-20.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/10/2021 at 12:53, diablo rsv said:

Accurate Armour recommended any of the Meteor engined kits so I would stick with the Mk.5s. The Mk.3 would probably work but that kit was released after the Accurate Armour upgrade. I'm pretty sure the Shot Kal has a different engine deck.

Wayne

As I understand it The 'Shot Kal' would not be suitable.

The 'Shot' Centurions (Hebrew for Whip) were modified Mk5's upgraded by the IDF in 2 versions; 5/1 and 5/2 .

5/1 was the was the 6 day war Cent still with the Meteor petrol engine (a detuned Merlin) and manual transmission so the deck and exhaust are different from the 5/2 'Kal' which was upgraded with the american diesel engine and transmission and saw action in the Yom Kippur invasion.

I'm more than happy to be corrected if this is incorrect.