5x SPADs and a Nieuport 17 - finished

23 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Back on topic, cracking on with the Academy:

BF0-DC04-F-069-F-44-DF-9-ACA-3-AAC789-CC

Xtradecal “pre-war” decals plus stripes from a Modeldecal WWI set that had no roundels of appropriate sizes. I have some white WWI serials and some white “A”s in the decal dungeon for later.

Mrs MF has very kindly saved me from poking at wet decals by kidnapping me for gardening duties!

Great work, Adrian, the camo' looks fabulous! Is that an experimental rudder? ;) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

experimental rudder?

One day I will come back to find the two overlaps magically bonded together by the drying Decalfix, needing only the lightest of trims before yielding a perfect result.

Hasn’t happened yet!

[edit: 50 minutes lifting carrying and emptying in the wind, rain and dying light has failed, once again, to convince me of the joys of gardening!]

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

[edit: 50 minutes lifting carrying and emptying in the wind, rain and dying light has failed, once again, to convince me of the joys of gardening!]

I know that feeling very well! :)

• Haha 2

Well I’ll be blowed. PPP does work for large areas:

BC54-A00-F-CBDB-4239-ACE1-5-CB4-BB0-CBF4

Seen here under a couple of thin coats of Radome Tan. Looks like the Airfix kit will be joining the party after all.

I left it to dry overnight and found the right grade of sandpaper to sand down very lightly. Unfortunately the scrap of sandpaper doesn’t have the grade written on the back of it, but it feels like 240 grit.

• Like 8

Revell struts are in the bottom wing, equal overhang both sides:

061-C422-D-E79-B-4763-ADE4-0-C9-BE56-A21

I have also drilled holes in the Airfix wings to mark the strut locations. I’m minded to make my own struts for that one because the kit ones are such a mess.

I couldn’t find my other product so I used a bit of Revell Decalsoft, and lo and behold:

17285-D19-8-E6-A-46-B4-879-E-A8139-CECEF

However, in observance of the First Law of Conservation of Awkwardness, I’ve never seen an Xtradecal roundel fail to settle in before:

23-F871-C5-A582-4129-A089-90-AE56125-ED2

• Like 12

The are coming on well Adrian the RFC one is looking very nice indeed. Good to see the Airfix one progressing.  I have a half used tube of PPP and it is getting harder, I take the nozzle off and use.  I have recently had issues with an xtradecal roundel not settling too this was on my Anson and it was one of the huge upper wing roundels.  Brute force and klear was used to bed in.

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

half used tube of PPP

I haven’t ever used the blue tube adaptor, always straight from the tube. FWIW I’ve put the rest of the PPP in one of those “one person” jam pots and diluted it (to the consistency of Revell’s thicker acrylics!), and it seems to be working quite well for the one day of ops so far.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5

On 11/27/2021 at 6:36 PM, AdrianMF said:

First Law of Conservation of Awkwardness

Is the Second Law of Conservation of Awkwardness demonstrated when you take an item out of a box and can't get all the others back in, even though there should be more room?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saturday again and I’m sneaking some time at the bench.

First up, the Revell one has had the filled slots sanded down and a coat of Radome Tan underneath to seal it all in:

1-E955-ACF-E432-42-EB-82-EE-6337-C99-CF3

Academy exhausts cleaned up, augmented with fishtail ends from plastic card and painted:

F82-B5-D29-BB96-4-D04-A216-747-C3326-ABA

And the Airfix propeller needs replacing as it is too thin and wrongly has the straight edge at the front. The SPAD VII propeller rotated in the opposite direction to the XIII’s. I’ve carved a new blank from 60 thou card:

E99-F7-B64-78-F0-4-BB9-89-E6-D31-A287-AF

• Like 10

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The exhausts look great and the prop looks fantastic.

Thanks Chris! The exhausts are just on the verge of being too spindly but they’ll do. I was very pleased with the prop. I haven’t done one since my FROG/Novo Oxford.

Rigging today took one hour and ten minutes door to door. The magnifying headset makes it so much easier:

8061-D43-A-FFAD-4-D04-835-E-6208-A9-DD64

I just have to matt varnish the glue spots, add a few bits and bobs and that’s #2 done!

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Rigging today took one hour and ten minutes door to door.

Looking extremely good as usual.

I would make a gag about showing off but it might be taken the wrong way so I won't. :wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

I would make a gag about showing off

I’ve had some right nightmares with rigging so I don’t mind feeling smug when it all goes well. Karma will get me next time! :)

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

quick rigging

I’ve also just bought some Uschi elastic rigging. It’s 1/5 the diameter of EZLine. I pulled it out of the draw today, compared it to EZLine, thought to myself “you’re ‘avin’ a larf” and swiftly put it back! I might have a go with it on the Eduard one though, ‘cos it’s a posh kit.

The magnifiers are a game changer for this sort of thing. Well worth the 12 quid I spent on eBay. The only trouble is, they show up how rubbish all your painting is…

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

Well I would normally be posting a picture of a completed model in bad light on a messy workbench around now, but post image is refusing to cooperate.

So: two down, three to go and a couple of Nieuport waiting in the wings. Must get to that Bristol Type 142 again soon!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Hello Adrian

Really interesting thread !!

Another serial builder :worthy:

I find it really amazing to compare kits from different brands...

I also appreciate the way you upgrade the old ones !!

Impressive modelling for sure !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Another serial builder

I simply didn’t realise how many different kits of the SPAD I’d accumulated!

Anyhow, postimage is playing ball again, so here’s the poorly lit model on a messy workbench:

53333-B6-D-FD1-E-40-A3-8-A66-31-C67-A7-D

And the family picture:

EBDFD8-ED-4-A9-A-4423-88-A5-41-A0-A05755

• Like 17

AFAIK, it was a single pattern, but the variations occurred due to differing interpretation by the many different builders. Each builder had its own tell-tales, such that the builder becomes identifiable by the camouflage pattern.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1