5x SPADs and a Nieuport 17 - finished

17 minutes ago, Brandy said:

thread on The Aerodrome

Thanks for that! I’m not inconsistent, having  tricolour lower wings, red outers and green foremost.

Meanwhile, I’ve been sanding and putting a coat of grey on those wings:

A6-B3-D69-B-4-BA2-40-CE-B167-E0-D0-C0848

Looks like I will have to build the damn’ thing now…

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ray S said:

That is going well Adrian! I don't know how you manage to do four (or is it more now?) at once, I have my hands full with one biplane!

Cheers,

Ray

He must have even more tentacles than I have!

Envious of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

40 minutes ago, Martian said:

more tentacles

My modelling extremities felt more like sausages than tentacles when I was doing that rigging! I have to admit, just one more hand would be very useful…

Wheels. Ah. The ESCI and Academy wheels are rubbish and too small, and I only have one  pair of extra wheels in the Eduard kit. So, make some:

B14-DE0-DD-6-B08-4941-9196-E3-AF77939-DA

The discs are too small for my circle cutter and too big for my leather punch so they are made by scribing round inside a template with my centre punch. I will add a short length of rod in the middle of the pieces marked “o” and build a little cone of filler up around it. The paint brush handle acts as a mandrel for the solder tyres.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

So, make some:

I must admit I used to make wheels this way but nowadays I resin cast my own much easier.  You only need to make or find one decent blank, silicone sealant and washing up liquid for the mold and two part resin for the wheel.

Fantastic work so far btw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey

Crikey it’s done:

C8892-A57-D8-F6-4-A91-A7-A7-24-AE0-E62-A

That was a lot of rigging for something that’s smaller than the palm of my hand!

(Edit: and the top wing is on straight - that’s smartphone camera perspective at work)

Well, not done-done - I need a man (Eduard WWI RFC set in the post from Mr EBay as a starting point), a base and some decent lighting. And some Christmas wrapping paper. And when I’m in the mood I may add the step and aileron levers too.

Next!

• Like 21

18 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Lovely finish on the Italian one!

Thanks!

After not having wheels at all for so long, and also from a combo of rather undersized undercarriage legs and wheels that are 0.5mm too big, it looks to me like a puppy with over-sized feet. And the size disparity with the accurate Eduard one is beginning to bug me now that I’ve finished it.

I am going to have to learn to not snap up awful kits just because they are “bargains”!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cockpits and seats painted:

CE850-B43-3-CE2-4248-9-C61-9-F6-A558-F5-

I suspect that there may have been shoulder straps as well. I may or may not bother…

And where I am now:

6399-E50-F-B7-B9-456-E-A468-CBD27-C08-C3
Top left, Academy, on the way to becoming an RFC early Spad XIII, with hideous original propeller and wheel next to the spares from the Eduard kit. Top right, Eduard with later propeller and big wheel option from kit - destined to become the Nungesser machine from the kit options. Bottom right, Revell, with short shot tailplane repair, thinned down struts and late mode propeller and big wheels, which will be in US markings from the kit if they behave, otherwise from the Eduard sheet. Finally bottom left we have the Airfix Spad VII with  hill and valley wing filling in progress, to be the Guynemer option from the kit - I need to scratch a new propeller if the spares box doesn’t cooperate.

In the short term, I’m going to get the Academy across the line and put the tailplanes back on my Bristol 142 so I can re-spray it.

• Like 10

I have put on another coat of PPP on the Airfix wings. Even though I keep the tube of putty in a sealed bag with a wet cloth to stop it drying out, it has been getting very hard to squeeze and I keep getting bits of yellow gunk in it (see blob):

C10186-BC-FC1-F-429-D-B39-F-814015190363

So I’ve cut the tube open and mixed the contents with some water in a tiny jam jar. Time will tell if that will save it. I do have an unopened tube but I’ve only used half of this one!

Has anyone else had that problem with PPP?

• Like 10

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I am going to have to learn to not snap up awful kits just because they are “bargains”!

But isn’t that half the fun, you get to exercise your modelling skill. Which you’re clearly doing.

I’ve built two Glencoe Albatri and still have two in the stash and I just know if I see one for a fiver I’ll buy it despite myself.

resized_284f9f87-d99e-4d93-9a1e-57cc11aa

resized_f3f5f9db-9875-4e7e-89db-f98070bc

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

Back on topic, cracking on with the Academy:

BF0-DC04-F-069-F-44-DF-9-ACA-3-AAC789-CC

Xtradecal “pre-war” decals plus stripes from a Modeldecal WWI set that had no roundels of appropriate sizes. I have some white WWI serials and some white “A”s in the decal dungeon for later.

Mrs MF has very kindly saved me from poking at wet decals by kidnapping me for gardening duties!

• Like 9