5x SPADs and a Nieuport 17 - finished

21 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

single pattern, but the variations occurred

Thanks Mark. That makes sense to me. There are definitely variations in the fuselage patterns from contemporary photos. I haven’t found many photos showing wing patterns but they seem to be pretty standardised, differing mainly in the whether the black blobs go the full chord or not.

• Like 2

Exceptional work especially on the prop. Great bit o’ whittling.  As for ppp I stole a little trick of our own @CedB. I too don’t use the blue thing.  Every time you finish using drip a small amount of water onto the tube top before screwing the lid on. It’s been working for me for ages.  

Johnny

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't remember what the actual differences are, you'd need a SPAD expert, but the black blob/footprint on the wing is definitely one, and I seem to recall that the one of the tail-planes is another. Bleriot aircraft, I think, are particularly identifiable by these "tells".

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

AFAIK, it was a single pattern, but the variations occurred due to slightly interpretation by the many different builders. Each builder had its own tell-tales, such that the builder becomes identifiable by the camouflage pattern.

Cheers,

Mark

Totally agreed..

Now add to the above the repairs or corrections in the field, with wath was at hand and one got it !!

CC

• Like 2

I scratched a mesh into the otherwise blank Airfix cowling, and filed in a valley where the round fuselage meets the cylinder fairings, where the moulding machine can’t get to:

D4-E56-AEB-BAFA-43-B5-A023-4-B5332066-E7

And the Revell one is part way through the horrors of brush painting:

ABD85914-25-DC-43-A1-852-B-98-A0-E8-A58-

• Like 15

Mark is absolutely correct. The differences in pattern were due to the different manufacturers' interpretation, and the aircraft builder could be identified by that.

Ian

• Thanks 1

We-e-ell, it wasn’t too bad. All the roundels have a (misaligned) white border, which doesn’t match photos, so I decided not to use them. The hat, numbers and tail flashes went on OK, but will need touching up to remove white borders and some general crud:

350-E8667-4-D9-B-4-DEE-810-E-7455-BEBB7-

They are under a coat of Decalfix+Decalsoft and I’ve got some chores to do while they dry. The Eduard kit has some spare roundels.

• Like 13

Some touch up required. Before:

90138-AA7-697-F-46-A0-9-B44-865-FD53-BF4

After:

A94-AB5-AD-E097-4-B43-B68-F-D4-F1-DC137-

[Edit: goodness gracious that paintwork looks rough!!]

I did end up making the Airfix struts out of scrap plastic. The horribly mismoulded kit struts could be carved down into something delicate and scale-like.

I’ve also come to realise that the Academy and ESCI exhausts are a bit too spidery, and (apart from being the wrong scale) I’m gaining respect for the Revell offering.

Anyhow, tonight’s family photo, with the Revell a gnat’s away from rigging:

6196021-D-B5-DA-4-E1-D-A3-B2-5898-B1-A8-

Those of you familiar with my build habits will notice that once again the nicest kit is lagging behind!

• Like 19

16 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Those of you familiar with my build habits will notice that once again the nicest kit is lagging behind!

Huh, that's oftenly the case with me too...:rofl2:

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

touching in around those decals

It's more like painting around the edges of a rock garden with those bloomin' lumps! Maybe it's time to replace my trusty old Hu 102 light green...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Lovely collective work. I've just used some Microscale Decal French roundels. Either late 70's or early 80's. A little bit flakey but they're on now. Used solutions but not the recommended own brand. The Airfix Spad roundels, similar vintage, were even better although they had yellowed a little. BTW are you sure that British Spads had blue trailing edges on the rudder? I think US did but weren't British and French red.

• Sad 1

On 07/12/2021 at 15:51, stevehed said:

BTW are you sure

No I’m not! You are quite right. Looks like I haven’t done with painting over decals yet…

[edit - on the train home, after Beer] I could have just painted the damn’ things (or at least used the Xtradecal strips the other way up!).

[edit #2] - I am amassing a list of jobs to do for each airframe after it is “finished”. I’m hoping that list doesn’t get bigger than the original build!

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 12:39 PM, AdrianMF said:

Like eating the peas first & leaving the roast beef till last. ;) :D

These are looking ever so good Adrian. 'Specially considering the raw materials.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

the peas first

Dammit! I rather like peas…

The trouble is, if you are doing  a few builds of a type and browsing the web to help, you start to become familiar enough with it to work out what is and isn’t scale/accurate enough, at which point you wish you’d bought  a ton of Eduard kits (both early and late, as appropriate)!

Still, here we are…

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

I had quite a catch up here.  These look terrific.  I'm especially enamored with the US Spad.  I have an Academy 1/72 Spad with US markings that I bought eons ago, but I've never had the courage to work on it because of the rigging.  Your rigging looks great BTW.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Academy 1/72 Spad

TBH the kit is a nice build. If you have an alternative prop, even more so. It doesn’t need rigging to be a nice model. So I would just build it how you like and have a worthwhile addition to your collection/display/pile.

I have to say, mine is more like a pile than anything else!

Regards, 

Afrian

• Like 4

Revell is rigged:

517-C1527-444-E-43-A3-AE96-5-B5-C64131-E

I bought some Uschi stretch thread (0.05mm) because the EZLine (0.25mm) was looking a little thick to me. The size difference is clear when they are laid out side by side. I used Uschi to rig everything but the flying and undercarriage wires, which I did with EZLine, and looking at the rigged model I’m damned if I can tell the difference between the two!

• Like 10

Crumbs Adrian, four  (or is it five now?) biplanes AND a figure! I hope the last lot of rigging went well, I know you were worried that the modelling Gremlins were waiting as the first one went so well.

That is great work,

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1