Revell 1:24 Land Rover Series III

Hi folks,

A different build from me since it's not military this time. I had originally wanted to build Revell's Series III as a more beaten up, rusty vehicle being used by some broke surfer etc, but after I finished the body, I couldn't quite convince myself to mess it up again. I also had more plans to open up the interior and show off some details, but the Revell kit doesn't have separate doors, and the glass isn't actually very clear. Overall, it's an alright kit with decent enough detail, but the fit isn't great at all - there are so many locating holes and stubs that just don't line up and the moulding for some locating pins is just awful so a lot of work was required to get the kit to line up properly and allow the body to sit on the frame correctly - basically it's a typical Revell kit and I'm hoping their SR-71 is a lot better. Anyway...photos!

L1hhggc.jpg

The body colour is MRP Signal Red with Tamiya Clear Red over it to deepen the red, and provide a gloss coat. This was then glossed again with Tamiya X-22 and polished. The roof is MRP Gun Metal with X-22, and MRP Super Silver for the roof rack. The grille is Molotow liquid chrome (also used for the mirrors) which is the best chrome I've ever used! Various details were picked out with a mix of MRP, Tamiya and Vallejo.

GxOOtz9.jpg

The majority of the decals are from the kit, but the Kangaroo and Coca Cola ones are from AK (Cartograf prints though)

Re4Aj9o.jpg

t0kBRH6.jpg

There is some orange peel on the body, but after several attempts at getting a good even polish, I wasn't going to try and redo this again. But hey, the real ones probably weren't built all that well anyway.

DI53nBt.jpg

d4iiEfT.jpg

O5jlGET.jpg

The kit does provide a pretty decent engine (and a terrible gearbox & transfer case), but I improved it by wiring the distributor, adding a capacitor, fusebox and additional sensor, power and battery wiring. I also replaced the plastic front end built with one from Tamiya tape, but it's not visible at all so that was pointless. Overall this is pretty good detail, but the Revell moulding let's it down somewhat.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 21

7 hours ago, theaa2000 said:

basically it's a typical Revell kit

When I was a small chap I hated Revell kits for their imprecise fit and mis-aligned parts. Since then I have avoided their stuff like the plague, but had hoped that a new release would be better. Alas, this kit is no better with incorrect instructions, inaccuracies and, as you have noted, a poor fit in places. Considering its, err, 'challenges', you have done a really good job with it.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Andy J said:

That's a very nice build indeed well done on all levels 👏 👍 

Thanks Andy

21 hours ago, Marco F. said:

As Andy said,  a very nice build, especially the engine bay looks good 

Marco F 

Cheers Marco - Actually the engine is the one bit of the kit that I thought is very well detailed since most other vehicle kits I've built have had very little detail or a fixed bonnet, but anything can benefit from more detail

15 hours ago, Natter said:

When I was a small chap I hated Revell kits for their imprecise fit and mis-aligned parts. Since then I have avoided their stuff like the plague, but had hoped that a new release would be better. Alas, this kit is no better with incorrect instructions, inaccuracies and, as you have noted, a poor fit in places. Considering its, err, 'challenges', you have done a really good job with it.

Yeah, it's disappointing since they're often the only company to tackle some subjects (Rafale, Eurofighter in 1/48 etc) so I'm quite nervous about their Blackbird - I hope it's like their 1/32 P-51D/NA which is apparently quite good!

15 hours ago, TonyW said:

That's a very good looking Landy indeed.

For a kit with all the issues you listed, it's turned out quite superbly. 

Thanks Tony, I'm quite pleased with it despite the kit

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I do love that colour combo, and I think the paint job looks very authentic. 

Thanks Jeroen - I think it's a nice modern paintjob for a classic vehicle

4 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Really good job on what sounds like a tricky kit. The engine in particular looks very good 

Thanks mate!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...