Special Hobby Do-27 in Belgian Army Aviation Branch colours.

stevehnz

Gosh, me, starting late again, seems to be my modus operandi these days. :D

I'm throwing my hat in the ring with this bird. Since taking this sprue shot I've cut the necessary cockpit parts off the sprues & glued the main cabin seat backs onto the bases. Tomorrow hopefully, some paint on the cabin walls & cockpit components & seat belts & it'll be ready to go together, I think. Coupla days. :)

DSCF3311

Steve.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Gosh, me, starting late again, seems to be my modus operandi these days. :D

I still haven't even started mine yet Steve!  Welcome to the GB though, with a classic :thumbsup2:

Cheers

• Like 1

• stevehnz changed the title to Special Hobby Do-27 in Belgian Army Aviation Branch colours.

Pretty much ready to close it up now, it really is  a nice kit this, the fit & design is right up with with best to my mind. So far everything just fits.

DSCF3313

I'll likely pause on this one for a few days while I try to get my French Fancy effort over the line.

Steve.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Chugging along, steadily, most of the structure together now, almost time to get some paint on & then pop the clear bits in. I did a trial fit of the rear portion of the top transparency & was very impressed at the way it clicked in with no over hangs or steps. 👍 for Special Hobby on this. Still playing with colours, I reckon the right mix is pretty close to what I'm after for this.

DSCF3323

Steve.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

Don't let the lighting put you off @Corsairfoxfouruncle Dennis, the colour isn't that dark in reality.

Steve.

Oh No … It was supposed to be a like. My fat sausage fingers must have hit the sad face by accident. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Started to get some colour on tonight, the mix of 4 parts Revell 46 to 1 part Humbrol 155. It looks Ok to my eye. The photos lighting is crap, taken later this evening at my work table so it doesn't do much for it. So far got wings & tail planes with a coat on top & bottom, I was saved from agonising where to hold a plane that is all one colour by realising that I hadn't mixed enough, I cam now paint the fuselage & tail holding onto the wings. :)

DSCF3325

Steve.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slower than hoped the last week but the last couple of evenings have made up for it. Tomorrow though is crunch day, I'm back at work 3 days from Saturday & after 12 hour days, getting much done is a struggle, so it all has to be tomorrow pretty much. This is the latest photo, airframe painted & glossed for decals, windows & all installed & detail bits painted up including some very fiddly etch, pretty much my first go with this, it went ok in the end, though the carpet monster made a spirited bid to spoil the party, thank goodness for shiny etch :)  She currently is lying on her back legs in the air while the wheels set.

DSCF3336

Steve.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Steben said:

Revell 46 + Humbrol 155.....

I have those. Might give it a mix to check the colour 😄

I reckon looking at photos, Revell 46 by itself would have been fine, I think I lacked the courage to go with it, so lightened it a little with the Hu 155, it is probably close to what one sees on the one in the Brussels Museum & it looks OK on the model in a scale effect sort of way. I'm OK with it anyway. :shrug:

Steve.

The day was kind to me, as were some of the inmates of Chez Hnz, one in particular. ;)  :D The decaling went OK, I'm proud to say that I even placed all the stencils, including several little red ones that looked like Space Invaders on the sheet but virtually disappeared against the dark olive shade, nevertheless, they're there but I can't guarantee they're not upside down. :shrug: once the decals were on I used Hypo glue to affix the blade aerial, hump aerial & TV aerial on the top of the centre section 🙄. The latter was a bit of a joke, but its there, though not quite hardly level, something I may or may not rectify down the track, probably by scratching a plastic job. :( :unsure: All in all, I'm happy enough with the overall look of it, the satin varnish has hidden some of the paint glitches, a couple of others remain but are not obvious from a couple of feet (60cm) plus. Many thank for @CliffB & @Corsairfoxfouruncle for hosting this & those who gave me encouragement along the way, it makes a difference for sure. This was a nice kit to build, the only real glitch was the placement of a sprue attachment point or rather a nub attachment point on the front door/screens where they abut the centre frame. Handling had stressed the nubs which left fractured edges on the clear panels. Application of Klear didn't really cut it. Other than that though, all other glitches were my fault, a really nice kit to build. Here is a taster, the rest in the gallery.

DSCF3338

Steve.

• Like 10

Well done Steve, looks very nice.  The more I see of this kit the more I want one!  Would make a nice companion to my Porter.  I don’t really want to start another collection, but high winged STOL machines are a growing  attraction!

AW

• Thanks 1