The Revell Edelweiss Airbus A320 in 1/144 scale

Even if vintage airliners are my real cup of tea I occasionally like to model newer planes when I find a colourful and stylish livery. Well, this is what happened with Revell's 1/144 scale Airbus A320 in the smart scheme of the Swiss charter airline Edelweiss. 

The company was established in 1995 and it's currently a joint operation of Swiss International Airlines and Lufthansa. The emblem of the airline is the edelweiss or the alpine star. At present the company have a fleet of ten Airbus A320's plus eight larger Airbus types and three MD-80's.

The quality of the Revell kit was quite two-fold. The decals were excellent but the molding of the parts surprisingly mediocre. There were a lot of flash and ejector marks but despite those problems the details and the accuracy of the kit were quite ok.
Building the model was straightforward but quite time consuming. There were a lot of decals and aftermarket details (a set from Daco) to be attached. The cockpit window decals I ordered from Authentic Airlines. Moreover, the open holes of the cabin and cockpit windows had to be filled and sanded.

I first primed the model with Mr. Surfacer 1000 and then spayed the white areas with Tamiya Fine Surface primer coated with Tamiya gloss varnish. The red areas of the fuselage and the rudder were sprayed with Tamiya TS-8 Italian red. For the colleagues who want to build this kit there's a piece of advice. The white alpine star decals are quite thin and transparent and the colour underneath shines easily through. So, before I painted the red areas I masked the spots where the decals were to be attached. As to the wings and stabs I painted them with Xtracolor X150 (Awacs/Canadian Voodoo grey). For the minor details I used Vallejo acrylics. In the end I coated the model and the decals with Humbrol clear gloss varnish.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

Just now, gazza l said:

Nice work on this very colourful subject.

The windows look impressively real they give a convincing 3d effect.

gazza l

Thanks Gazza!

Einar

59 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Edelweiss, Edelweiss … 

Fantastic work Einar 👍 

Thank you for the positive comments and the nostalgic song! 

Cheers 

Einar 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Nice work as usual, Einar. All I have seen are good reviews of this particular kit, and you have "done her up" quite nicely!

Thank you very much!

Cheers

Einar 

Just now, Abandoned Project said:

Nice work on the red. 

Just now, Abandoned Project said:

Nice work on the red. 

Thank you very much!

Einar 

• Thanks 1