Airfix 707 1/144 Air India VT-DJK

Greetings folks,

Firstly thank you every one at the 707 wings thread and especially @TheyJammedKenny! your inputs were just great!!! and learned so many new things I guess that is the beauty of the forum, everyone is so kind and very helpful.
I always wanted to build a civilian aircraft, so why not start with Maharaja of the skies the Air India, the 1963 Airfix kit was quite challenging I learned it has many errors but that I okay I can live with but building was really exhausting and hard, so many sanding and filling yet some area are still there, plus lots of try fittings. The painting of white was quite challenging I literally had no idea whether the paint is dried or cured so once or twice i touched on the wet paint and it was back to square one painting again. The wing section was quite challenging as there was no good reference but you guys helped me out a lot and really thankful for that, cheers to you all. The decals was smooth sail, however, I cut some individual panel on the decals so when applied look like some windows are opened. There are tons of mistake with this build for sure but I gave my best. Thank you all for watching, Cheers.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by tomthounaojam
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Greetings folks,

Firstly thank you every one at the 707 wings thread and especially @TheyJammedKenny! your inputs were just great!!! and learned so many new things I guess that is the beauty of the forum, everyone is so kind and very helpful.
I always wanted to build a civilian aircraft, so why not start with Maharaja of the skies the Air India, the 1963 Airfix kit was quite challenging I learned it has many errors but that I okay I can live with but building was really exhausting and hard, so many sanding and filling yet some area are still there, plus lots of try fittings. The painting of white was quite challenging I literally had no idea whether the paint is dried or cured so once or twice i touched on the wet paint and it was back to square one painting again. The wing section was quite challenging as there was no good reference but you guys helped me out a lot and really thankful for that, cheers to you all. The decals was smooth sail, however, I cut some individual panel on the decals so when applied look like some windows are opened. There are tons of mistake with this build for sure but I gave my best. Thank you all for watching, Cheers.

1.jpg

1.png

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

That's a very nice looking bird.  Very well modelled. Congrats!

Cheers.

Einar

• Thanks 1

Despite the hardships you seemed to encounter,it turned out wonderfully.

I esp. like the wings with the different metallic and grey shades,very neat.

The Airfix 707 is quite a beast to build,I have 3 of them on the go currently and its a tough fight.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

That's an excellent model. Like many of the old Airfix kits the 707 scrubs up nicely in the right hands.

:goodjob:

Dave G

20 hours ago, Einar said:

That's a very nice looking bird.  Very well modelled. Congrats!

Cheers.

Einar

20 hours ago, gazza l said:

Very nice work on what is a very old kit.

I do like the patchy metallics on the wings, gives it a convincing weathered look.

gazza l

16 hours ago, SAT69 said:

It's clear a lot of work went into this one and the end result is well worth the labor. Congratulations!

14 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Fantastic job of an absolutely horrendous kit. I threw mine in the bin 😂 well done!!

14 hours ago, stever219 said:

I like what you've achieved with that old kit and the choice of colour scheme is excellent, I think it's the first time I've seen pre-1970s Air India markings on a model.  More like this please!

13 hours ago, Remus389 said:

I like the metal finish a lot, but the rest is also flawless.

Very nice indeed👍

13 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Ahhhh...the old B707 Airfix kit...I remember it well. We don't see this particular kit very much.

Quite right! Many issues with the kit...BUT...you have pulled it off! I agree with Dave...in the right hands, this one has turned out just fine! Nice work! 

13 hours ago, Zulu Hotel Alpha said:

The final result is fantastic.. thanks for sharing.

13 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Perfect work. Really good work from old kit. This shows that with skills can be achieve a lot.

12 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Fantastic, I like that a lot

SD

12 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Despite the hardships you seemed to encounter,it turned out wonderfully.

I esp. like the wings with the different metallic and grey shades,very neat.

The Airfix 707 is quite a beast to build,I have 3 of them on the go currently and its a tough fight.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks for sharing

Alex

12 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully executed, sir!  Now you know the trials and tribulations of building and painting civilian jets!  

12 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

The first photo had me for a few seconds. Real or model?

11 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Fantastic 707! You're a braver man than I,  persevering with the old kit. Looks great. 

9 hours ago, TonyW said:

A beautiful build. The pictures are outstanding as well, especially the first one.

Tony.

Thank you each and everyone sincerely, I am quite overwhelmed by positives responds am getting for the work. I truly appreciate it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh that’s a very nicely done rendition of the old Conway powered 707 - well done.

Might I though, with respect, make one suggestion: I think you should add representations of the eyebrow windows above the cockpit (I’m surprised they weren’t part of the decal sheet), as these four small windows - two either side - are very much part of the signature look of a 707’s nose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Viking said:

Great result from a a very di9fficult kit, The metal panel effect is particularly good.

Cheers

John

Thank you, John It was indeed really hard and lots of fitting issues. But being my first civil aircraft enjoyed building it.

18 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

An excellent rendition of the oh-7. Well done

Thanks, Lewis, Cheers.

12 hours ago, Skymonster said:

Oh that’s a very nicely done rendition of the old Conway powered 707 - well done.

Might I though, with respect, make one suggestion: I think you should add representations of the eyebrow windows above the cockpit (I’m surprised they weren’t part of the decal sheet), as these four small windows - two either side - are very much part of the signature look of a 707’s nose.

Thank you so very @Skymonster thanks for the suggestion, I am gonna do the correctios this weekend. Appreciate the input. Cheers