Eastern Express 1/144 Vickers Viscount 700

Hi everyone.

I've always had a soft spot for the Viscount, flew in them many times in the 70's- early 80's (Cambridge to Jersey). Loved the look of them and the distinct sound of     the RR Darts. 

The kit went together reasonably well, just a shame its so expensive for what is, in 1/144 a very small kit.

I wanted to do it in an in-flight pose so I borrowed a Corgi stand until I've machined up a more permanent display stand for it. I removed the props and replace them   with clear plastic discs which were then air brushed yellow whilst they were mounted on mandrel, held in a battery drill.

The decals are from 26 decals.

Paints are a mixture of Alclads metalics, Mr colour and Halfords appliance white.

Comments and criticism welcomed.

Thanks for looking

gazza l

DSC_1283 - Copy

DSC_1284 - Copy - Copy

DSC_1285 - Copy - Copy

DSC_1286 - Copy - Copy

DSC_1287 - Copy

DSC_1288 - Copy - Copy

• Like 28

Hasn't she come up a treat? Nice work. Yes, I like the propeller discs, too. My first trip on an airliner was a Viscount to Surfers Paradise. I was invited into the cockpit to see the workings. I still have my ticket and a swizzle stick somewhere. Those were the days.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gazza l said:

Hi everyone.

I've always had a soft spot for the Viscount, flew in them many times in the 70's- early 80's (Cambridge to Jersey). Loved the look of them and the distinct sound of     the RR Darts. 

The kit went together reasonably well, just a shame its so expensive for what is, in 1/144 a very small kit.

I wanted to do it in an in-flight pose so I borrowed a Corgi stand until I've machined up a more permanent display stand for it. I removed the props and replace them   with clear plastic discs which were then air brushed yellow whilst they were mounted on mandrel, held in a battery drill.

The decals are from 26 decals.

Paints are a mixture of Alclads metalics, Mr colour and Halfords appliance white.

Comments and criticism welcomed.

Thanks for looking

gazza l

DSC_1283 - Copy

DSC_1284 - Copy - Copy

DSC_1285 - Copy - Copy

DSC_1286 - Copy - Copy

DSC_1287 - Copy

DSC_1288 - Copy - Copy

Wow, What a model. You've really nailed it! Very well done

Cheers, Einar

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Sensational result in an unfamiliar livery. Your prop discs are about the most convincing I have seen.

Thanks very much, they turned out better than I expected, took a few attempts to get right though.

11 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely job,brings back memories of me and my dad going up on the roof of the old terminal and spending a bit of time watching the world go by...

Yes, I used to spend many hours up there and at the end of the runway with my cousin during the summer holidays. Jersey used to be such a busy airport with aircraft lining up over St Quens bay one after the other. Viscounts, Heralds, Avro 748's, BAC 1-11's,  Trilanders and the occasional Dakota... happy days!

Thankyou every for your kind comments.

gazza l

• Like 1

Really lovely, we don't see enough 'in flight' models, especially not with props. I was due to fly to Jersey on on a Guernsey Airlines Viscount on the late 80's but the aircraft was substituted with a Shorts 360. I think they were already phasing the Viscount out at that stage.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Very nice! Recently finished one of these myself, it's a nice little kit. Like many others here I have fond memories of the Viscount, in my case it's the BA and then Manx 800s that I flew on many times to the Isle of Man as a child. I'm tempted to buy the newly-released 800 but the price is a bit off-putting - I'm holding off until PAS Decals has them in stock as their prices seem to be a bit more palatable. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Viking said:

Really lovely, we don't see enough 'in flight' models, especially not with props. I was due to fly to Jersey on on a Guernsey Airlines Viscount on the late 80's but the aircraft was substituted with a Shorts 360. I think they were already phasing the Viscount out at that stage.

Cheers

John

Thanks John.

Shame you didn't get a flight in the Viscount. I was a bit disappointed when they change them for this... 1983'ish.

Probably the worst flight I've ever had, up and down like a roller coaster! 🤢

Scan_0002 (2)

10 hours ago, zebra said:

Very nice! Recently finished one of these myself, it's a nice little kit. Like many others here I have fond memories of the Viscount, in my case it's the BA and then Manx 800s that I flew on many times to the Isle of Man as a child. I'm tempted to buy the newly-released 800 but the price is a bit off-putting - I'm holding off until PAS Decals has them in stock as their prices seem to be a bit more palatable. 

Many thanks Zebra.

Yes it is a nice kit, the pointy nose and cockpit profile look just right to my eye.

I managed to get hold of another second hand 700 recently for a decent price and I have decals for an Intra Airways Viscount. 

Cheers everyone.

gazza l

• Like 1