A41 Heavy Cruiser (prototype Centurion) Operation Sentry.

diablo rsv

Looking really good good Wayne, up to your usual top quality paint job! 

As you say decals gone down really well, my only experience of AFV Club decals was appalling, they splintered terribly.

The silhouette cutter looks handy but doubt I could justify one.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

@APA, @PlaStix, @Jasper dog, @Bertie Psmith, @LeeM, @Lazy Modeller Thank you all for taking the time to comment, your input is very much appreciated.

I thought I would take the opportunity to try out a couple of different weathering products on the lower hull as most of it will be hidden behind the bazooka plates. The first of these was the acrylic paste for adding heavy texture, I used this on the underside of the track guards but I didn't really get along with it though as it dries fairly quickly and it needed painting over once it had dried, so I went back to my usual pigments, fillers and fixers.

Ivfwmdml.jpg

I have a photo of one of the Operation Sentry tanks sitting in a field where it had churned up the soil and these vehicles had also covered a lot of miles during the trials therefore I am assuming they got pretty dirty, so I'm trying to recreate the look of a dirty tank with a build up of drying mud. 

gnfCUbEh.jpg

I will probably add some oil and grease stains but I don't think I'm far off from the look I wanted.

KhHnSffh.jpg

On 24/01/2022 at 07:14, Jasper dog said:

As you say decals gone down really well, my only experience of AFV Club decals was appalling, they splintered terribly.

The silhouette cutter looks handy but doubt I could justify one.

Unfortunately I spoke too soon regarding the decals. They did appear to settle down nicely.

oZF7KCfl.jpg

And this is why I hate decals, once I applied the flat coat over the model the carrier film became very apparent.

sxU6jfyl.jpg

I'm not entirely sure why this happened, I know I could have trimmed the film around the sentry boxes but AFV had used white backing paper which made it difficult to see where to cut and it would have been impossible to trim around the serial numbers.

So I felt I had no choice but to remove them and cut some stencils. which I should have done in the first place, that will teach me to be lazy. :sad:

lnTJFVWl.jpg

The paint work was repaired and I set about designing and making the stencils.

Finding the correct font was difficult but the one I chose was close enough.

uMsniSwl.jpg

I took a photo of the Sentry box emblem that is in one of Dick Taylor's Warpaint books and uploaded it into the design software where it could be converted to a stencil. The Portrait cutter is an impressive piece of kit and it's amazing how small you can cut once the correct settings can be found. The Sentry box scales out at around 8mm.

1t0KEbbl.jpg

It was a slightly time consuming process applying the paint as there are five colours to spray. I really wished I had trimmed those kit decals at this point. 

Doyukajl.jpg

veKDaC7l.jpg

The end result was worth the effort though. No more carrier film.

qz7r1KVl.jpg

2BPBANah.jpg

After that little hiccup I can hopefully get back on track, literally, with getting the running gear put on.

Wayne

• Like 17

Absolutely brilliant with those masks Wayne. The difference is amazing. I wouldn't mind getting hold of that piece of gear, but I suspect that it's a tad on the expensive side.

John.

• Thanks 1

On 30/01/2022 at 16:49, Bertie Psmith said:

What a save! I admire your determination to get it right. (Lazy me would have lived with the crappy decals, I'm sorry to say.)

Thanks Bertie,

If I had let it go it would have just bugged me every time I looked at it, you know how it is, once seen and all that.

I've been doing this long enough now to know that cutting corners never pays off.

On 30/01/2022 at 19:25, edjbartos said:

Wow , that looks amazing Wayne, the extra effort that you have put into making those stencils have really paid off, they look tremendous. Well done

Ed

Thanks Ed, 

I could kick myself really, If I had made the stencils in the first place I wouldn't have needed to put that much extra effort in. 🙄

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Absolutely brilliant with those masks Wayne. The difference is amazing. I wouldn't mind getting hold of that piece of gear, but I suspect that it's a tad on the expensive side.

John.

Thanks John,

It's one of those things where you think "is the expense worth it"? but I guess the average model with detail sets and paints etc must be well over the £100 mark plus the hours spent working on it, so I just hate having iffy decals spoiling the thing.

They seem to be selling at around £225, I'm sure I paid less than that for it but every thing seems to have had a price hike at the moment.

Wayne

• Like 3

Thanks Stix @PlaStix, very kind of you.

I have made a little bit of progress over the last few days and I think it's beginning to take shape.

The tracks were painted with a metallic brown colour before being weathered with various washes and pigments. The worn areas were brushed over with some good old Humbrol Metal Cote polished steel, a product I had totally forgotten about until Bertie @Bertie Psmith reminded me of it in his Valentine project.

AdqXkwYh.jpg

Overall I am pretty pleased with how the tracks look for now.

Q4XpyOOl.jpg

The wheels were also weathered with some pigments and then the bazooka plates could be added to hide it all.

I have started work on some of the detail painting such as the exhausts and mantlet cover and also made a start on some stowage with a camouflage net made from some old plasterers scrim and painted strips of masking tape. 

tmx6kazl.jpg

The straps are made from more Tamiya tape and some photo etched buckles. I probably need to add a little more weathering to get it to look right but it's not far from what I was aiming for.

I'm not sure what to add to the other side of the turret. There is a photo but its not a very high resolution one and I can't make out what tools they have strapped to it. Gun cleaning rods?

If anyone has any ideas it would be very much appreciated. @Das Abteilung

u4QJPSQ.jpg?1

Maybe I will just add some tarps and bedrolls if I can't work it out.

For now though I shall carry on with the detail painting before tackling the final weathering. 

The end is in sight!

NJkzgWZh.jpg

Wayne

• Like 18

20 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

There is a photo but its not a very high resolution one and I can't make out what tools they have strapped to it. Gun cleaning rods?

If anyone has any ideas it would be very much appreciated.

The stowage diagram for the Mk I says another cam net should be stowed there, same as the one you have, and there is nothing stowed in that bin that matches.  So your guess is as good as mine.  Enlarged it looks like a couple of gun cleaning rods with a canvas cover for something stuffed behind and flopping over at the top.  I thought perhaps spare 8ft antenna sections but they may be a bit thick for that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Your masked and painted markings are so much better than decals, well worth the effort Imo!

The light touch with the mud really looks the part as do the tracks too!

Real masterpiece of modelling. 

Atb

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/02/2022 at 20:30, APA said:

Ooh I'm liking this. Looks great. Crack on 😊

Andrew 

On 07/02/2022 at 20:36, edjbartos said:

It's coming along great Wayne, nice details that you are adding...

Ed

On 08/02/2022 at 13:52, Bullbasket said:

Those tracks look excellent Wayne.......as does the whole of it.

John.

On 08/02/2022 at 15:05, Das Abteilung said:

The stowage diagram for the Mk I says another cam net should be stowed there, same as the one you have, and there is nothing stowed in that bin that matches.  So your guess is as good as mine.  Enlarged it looks like a couple of gun cleaning rods with a canvas cover for something stuffed behind and flopping over at the top.  I thought perhaps spare 8ft antenna sections but they may be a bit thick for that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 08/02/2022 at 18:16, Jasper dog said:

Your masked and painted markings are so much better than decals, well worth the effort Imo!

The light touch with the mud really looks the part as do the tracks too!

Real masterpiece of modelling. 

Atb

On 15/02/2022 at 14:08, PlaStix said:

Great to see this one is still progressing well Wayne. It really is looking superb. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you all for your great feedback, it's very much appreciated.

With the M3/M4 group build about to start I thought I should push on with this one and clear at least one more build from the bench. 

I was a little lazy in photographing the adding of the final detail parts and weathering processes but it was mostly a case of sticking on a few wires and cables so not that interesting really. I also decided to leave the off the stowage on the other side of the turret. I agree with Peter @Das Abteilung that they are most likely cleaning rods in the photo but without a decent image of them and not wanting to make another net I took the easy option and just added a couple of straps. 

Getting the dirty/dusty look of a well travelled tank proved a little more difficult than I was expecting, especially on the bazooka plates. After three or four attempts I gave up, it's still not quite what I was looking for but good enough.

0TC8jFL.jpg

I found this kit a joy to build and I'm pleased with the way it has turned out. As always there are one or two areas that I feel I could have done better. The mantlet cover looks to stiff to me compared to the one or two photos I could find, in hindsight I may have been better off using some tissue over the Milliput. The Polsten canon could do with replacing but finding the RB Models one for a reasonable price proved difficult.

Hopefully I can get some photos in RFI soon.

Wayne

• Like 10

8 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Thank you all for your great feedback, it's very much appreciated.

With the M3/M4 group build about to start I thought I should push on with this one and clear at least one more build from the bench. 

Likewise, doubt I'll get the Shot Kal finished but I'd like to get it closer than it is...:wonder:

A other bobby-dazzler Wayne, I rather like the accumulation of dirt and dust complete with scratches running through it along the bazooka plates. 

Really like the finish on the tracks too.

Cheers

Darryl 

On 16/03/2022 at 06:48, Jasper dog said:

Likewise, doubt I'll get the Shot Kal finished but I'd like to get it closer than it is...:wonder:

A other bobby-dazzler Wayne, I rather like the accumulation of dirt and dust complete with scratches running through it along the bazooka plates. 

Really like the finish on the tracks too.

Cheers

Darryl 

On 16/03/2022 at 06:51, Hamden said:

As usual with your work another outstanding piece of workmanship and attention to detail, stunning result

Stay safe          Roger

Thanks Darryl and Roger, you're too kind but I really appreciate your comments.

Finding bench time is a rarity at the moment but I am looking forward to the group build as it will be my first.  My only concern is that I chose the Firefly which will mean another Olive Drab tank along with the Charioteer and the Cromwell which are on going and that will be four in a row. 

Wayne 

• Like 1