Scarborough 800 AD

Hello.

Rich has very decently let these two reprobates from Nordic I make a re-appearance here.

200406a Figures made front

They've had their flesh tones painted in the meantime, and their axe-handles. 

210902a Resus

I've got their clothes started:

211023a Restarted

According to an Osprey book, they were especially fond of green clothes, which looks pretty good, I think. I'm trying to decide on the colour of the tunic of the front man. I had thought the same sort of green as the back man but I think that would be a bit too green.

More later.

Alan

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Arr the dynamic duo are back...... and hopefully finished this time (no pressure!!! :D)

I reckon the dude at the back needs to be holding a huge tankard..... they look cross because someone ordered a shandy at their local! 

• Haha 2

They look rather good Alan. 

I guess the colours depended on the dyes available at the time - mostly from plants and insects/animals I suppose, but not something I know a lot about. A brownish red seems to be one possibility as it appears to have been a popular colour according to Osprey, but you probably know a lot more about this than I do and anyway it is your build so your choice!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

9 hours ago, PeterB said:

I guess the colours depended on the dyes available at the time - mostly from plants and insects/animals I suppose, but not something I know a lot about. A

The new Viking exhibit at the Historical Museum in Stockholm had the following (freshly dyed with Viking age methods and dyes) on display regarding Viking fabrics:

u7ez4xN.jpg

So for fresh fabric I'd say most things are on the table. With some use most colours likely faded somewhat rapidly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Parrahs, thank you so much! I decided on a yellow for the Hersir's tunic and I'm delighted to see that that's on the palette you've posted. The green of the Karl's (?) tunic is too bright but it hasn't been shaded much yet, which should bring it down quite a bit.

Here they are with the basic colours except the trousers. I'll paint them last so that I don't keep rubbing off the paint while painting the torsos and heads.

211031a Base colours on

I'm going to put them by now for a week or two now for the base oil paints to dry hard and hopefully matt-down a bit more.

On 10/23/2021 at 12:48 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

Red. I recommend red because it's opposite to green on the colour wheel and will give the static scene a bit of dramatic impact.

I'm surprised at you suggesting a colour, Bertie, after the business of the mauve socks. I'm surprised too that your valet hasn't told you, as Mrs.Tura has told me many, many times, that red and green should never be seen.

Alan 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Angus Tura said:

Parrahs, thank you so much! I decided on a yellow for the Hersir's tunic and I'm delighted to see that that's on the palette you've posted. The green of the Karl's (?) tunic is too bright but it hasn't been shaded much yet, which should bring it down quite a bit.

Here they are with the basic colours except the trousers. I'll paint them last so that I don't keep rubbing off the paint while painting the torsos and heads.

211031a Base colours on

I'm going to put them by now for a week or two now for the base oil paints to dry hard and hopefully matt-down a bit more.

I'm surprised at you suggesting a colour, Bertie, after the business of the mauve socks. I'm surprised too that your valet hasn't told you, as Mrs.Tura has told me many, many times, that red and green should never be seen.

Alan 

You remind me of a valet that a cousin of mine once had....

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rich.

Thanks. This thread seems to have been duplicated. There's this version, but also this: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235100744-scarborough-800-ad/ which is a lot less popular.

Here is some progress on these chaps.

211130a Drapery complete front

211130b Drapery complete back

You could be forgiven for thinking that they look exactly the same as when last I photographed them, but I've done quite a lot more shading and highlighting. The green of the back-chap is faded a bit by that, which is a relief, but it doesn't show up too well in these photos.

I've painted up the shields. I undercoated with Tamiya white fine primer,

211203a Shields primed white

I managed to get some overspray on the backs of the shields. I tried to wash that off with W&N varnish remover, which didn't work at all. To my surprise turpentine has taken most of the white haze off and after a bit of wire-wooling they look OK again. I didn't photograph the overspray but here they are cleaned up again:

211203b backs of shields cleaned up

I read somewhere or other that the paint traces found on the shields along the sides of the Oseberg ship-burial were alternately yellow and black. I thought that would go well with the greens in these but I also thought that it would be handy, if you were on rapine and pillage hell-bent, if all your chums had the same shields. So, I've gone for this:

211203c Shield colours sprayed

These are Mr.Color C113, RLM04 yellow, and Tamiya Lacquer German Grey. I haven't tried the Tamiya lacquer before. It sprayed beautifully thinned with the Tamiya retarder-type lacquer thinner. The shields need fading and shading but I'm pretty happy with the basic colour.

See you later.

Alan 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, again.

I had thought by last week that this was not going to be done on deadline, and spent a bit of time preparing and then failing to complete the Blitzenbuild. While blitzenbuilding I saw that we had an extension on this one. This is great. I wish I had known, and would probably not have started the blitzenbuild.

Anyway. I had progressed these a bit before thinking I wasn't going to get there.

211229b Bits and pieces 211229a white metal and hair

They've got their hair painted on and the white metal axes, helmet and shield bosses. This was Vallejo Natural Steel x 2 thin coats. The hair is H110 wood and some H103 (I think) cream. These need a bit of texturing. I should be able to get the leather straps and shield bits all done before the end of the weekend.

I spent more time on the base than the figures in the last couple of weeks. I want the front viking to be standing in/on some dune-grass and the back one on sand. I found a great explanation of using "Treemendus" fake fur for long grass here: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1999.0 . I also found some pictures of grass on dunes on-line.

Here is a bit of fake fur stained/painted with Mr.Color IDF green. This is one messy job, not least because of the thinners you need for Mr.Color paint. I have spent quite a bit of time repairing the kitchen table (!) Next time I'll use Vallejo and water as the link above suggests.

211229c Grass start dyed (2)

The problem with the fake fur seems to be hiding its backing material. As suggested by the finescale railroader I built up the front and side edges of the base with magic-sculp, albeit I'll need to deepen the ground surface more for this to work.

211229d Edge of base built up

That build-up of the edges, however, has meant I've had to re-finishes the edges of the base, and I can't get that to work without it cracking between to wooden base and the Das clay from which most of the base is made.

211229e Cracked base paint

This is such a pain! I won't be using the Das clay again. I think the problem is its porosity. The paint is black Mr.Surfacer 1500 and I wonder if some other paint might not work better. I got some stone effect spray at B&Q today, which I thought I might try in the hope of covering up the crack. It's maybe a bit too coarse, and its got white flecks in it, which I am not big on. I'll maybe just brush paint it matt enamel and then satin valllejo varnish but if I do the landscaping before the edges are OK I won't be able to spray it again so easily.

I'll let you know,

Alan

• Like 3

On 12/4/2021 at 5:55 AM, JeroenS said:

Those shields look nice! Way better than, say, red and green 😇

Couldn't agree with you more Jeroen. Red and green could only be suggested by one of those chaps I've heard about who seem to live for pleasure alone...

Thanks again.

I am cracking on as best as poss. I should have something for the gallery on-time although it might not be 100%

I've painted the footprints on the base and its edges with black oil-paint and pressed the grass on top to see where the feet should go,

220101a Black paint footprints 220101b footprint marks

I could then cut out the foot marks and the edged edges, as it were:

220103a Footprints cut out

, and stick the grass to the base. I started with the feet and then, when that was dry worked my way round, trimming and sticking. Or, in the case of the back edge of the grass, sticking and trimming. All 5" epoxy.

220105a Gluing 220105b more gluing

One is always learning! The fur has a definite "grain", wanting to lie in the direction it is made. Where it's cut across the grain the fur along the cut comes loose and there's a bit of a bald patch , while, with the grain there's no bald patch:

No bald patch.

220105c No bald patch

Bald patch.

220105d blad patch

Here is the bald patch filled in with 5" epoxy and bits of painted fur cut off the backing material:

220105e filled bald patch

At the back of the clump of grass, where there's an overhang on the base, the backing of the fur is really obvious but I am going to put some roots under the overhang and then blend them into the grass above with some earth paint/paste:

220106a backing at overhang

Here's the man standing in the grass before trimming,

220106b untrimmed

and the both of them with the grass trimmed:

220106c Trimmed grass

There are a couple of bald areas which need some help and I might trim the grass a bit more. It's about a centimetre now, or a scale foot, approximately, which I think is about right for dune-grass.

A couple of things learnt are: to paint the backing with glue (PVA?) before cutting it in future: I think that would prevent the bald patches. And to use the grain of the fur better. You can see that the grass is trying to point to the left in the photo while, if there were an on-shore breeze, it would be better to have the grass coming towards the front.

The best of it is that in this photo-angle you can't see their feet! So, I reckon if I paint the trousers. stick on the hindmost man's right hand and front man's shield, take another photo and post it in the gallery I might avoid a visit from Rich and his emoji-baseball bat...

See you Sunday,

Alan

• Like 8

that does look really good!!! The "long grass" looks like the long dune grass you see at the beach, love it!

I have faith that you'll make it in time............. :whip:.... see no bat this time! :D 

On 1/7/2022 at 9:02 PM, trickyrich said:

I have faith that you'll make it in time............. :whip:.... see no bat this time! :D 

No bat, but that is your actual emoji-flagellum australis!

Its a couple of days after epiphany but I have nonetheless had a revelation:

220109a foot bust off

There is a god, and he abhors slightly dishonest entries in groupbuild galleries. I have ignored this celestial message and painted the trousers and stuck the bits together, and the hersir's foot back on. So, here they are, finished-ish:

220109b Front for GB gallery

Thanks very much for the groupbuild(s) Rich, and all. A few too many things for me to learn to be entirely comfortable time-wise. More in the gallery. Roll-on Bombers, Ground attack &c. in a fortnight: Scarborough 1914 AD in planning.

Alan. 

• Like 7