Sea Vixen FAW.1 XJ481

A practically peerless project Tony, that has provided a CAD muppet like me with incredible levels of interest and entertainment in almost equal measure.

And it’s wonderful to see that the physical realisation and the traditional modellers art has done full justice to the design work.

Bravo Sir :worthy:

• Thanks 1

That's brilliant, the finish is very good as well was there much clean up involved? I'm asking as I work with 3D printers at work and there's always a lot of clean up of parts.

• Thanks 1

Astonishing!.

I agree with what others have said in that perhaps this is one of  the directions the hobby will take in the future. Maybe in the same way that it is possible to buy a paper plan for a R/C ship, it will be possible in the future to buy a model aircraft CAD plan/program for a home 3D printer.

Back to the present, I'm now looking forward to the next Sea Vixen springing forth from the biscuit tin.

Pete

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:47 AM, perdu said:

you even got me buying a capable laptop with which to attempt to learn and handle Fusion360 in a fit of imagined competence, now proven to have been a jump too far.

You see Tony, your threads really are inspiring game changers to some of us.

You go for it Bill. I've had a play with Fusion. It's scary at first, but there are loads of good tutorials out there. Imagine the rotor heads you could design and print! I plan to have a got at this 3D malarky at some point, too much injection moulded stash for that to be soon, but you never know.........

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have no words to describe your effort and skill throughout this process. The others have already used all the superlatives! It's been a fun ride watching the CAD emerge as physical parts from your 3D printer - you make it look so easy, but I'm sure it's not. I wonder how many folks are now using Fusion 360 and saving up for a 3D printer?

Looking forward to the next installment of the WIP.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/10/2021 at 21:57, Deano353 said:

That's brilliant, the finish is very good as well was there much clean up involved? I'm asking as I work with 3D printers at work and there's always a lot of clean up of parts.

Deano, hi.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the minimal clean up requirements on most parts using resin printing. Main issues are where the printing supports are attached to an object and occasional problems where you might get get light striations in one or two regions due to it being impossible to orient a complex shape to the build plate at an angle that allows every  region of it to print off smoothly.

In each of these cases though, a light sand is usually all that's required.

Interestingly I find that the screen type (lcd/mono) on a printer can have a significant effect on the smoothness of certain parts as well at identical layer heights: I have an original Mars along with a Mars 2 Pro and dedicate each to specific sets of shapes (eg. wings) that I know will print well on them due to this.

Best,

Tony

• Like 4

I dropped in your WIP a couple of times and was left shaking my head in awe. What skills! What a result! Not sure what else to say except please mass produce this so that no-hopers like me can build a Sea Vixen that looks like the real thing...

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...