Eduard/Revell Panavia Tornado GR.1 Desert Storm 1/72 (Pink is my new obsession...)

socjo1

7 minutes ago, Johnson said:

@Hewy. Who makes the resin wings? Thanks.

Hi charlie, "airwaves " they're advertised for the hasegawa tonka in 72nd, you used to be able to get them for the revell version too . they're on some auction site for about  £15 or £16

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Thanks for advice. I want do classic "Mig Eater" with 4 x 1000 lbs boms and Hindenburg tanks. The best option would be paint tanks in Barley Grey to braek overall pink colour. Does it make sense? I'll try to buy Reskit bombs, but what do you think about Eduard's proposal? Is it the same?

Sounds a good idea, the 2250ltr Hinderburger tanks were for the Tornado F.3 and were in grey finish, some were painted pink as both colours can be seen in photos.

The Eduard 1,000lb bombs have nose fuzes fitted, they were rarely used as they were for air burst.  The Reskit bombs mention on the box they have 947 or 951 fuzes but as these fuzes were screwed into the rear of the bomb, then the tail was fitted they cannot be seen, a solid steel nose plug was fitted giving the bomb nose a smooth appearance.

My aircraft is going to be fitted with the Eduard JP233 airfield denial weapons, I can only think that Eduard employed the 'mad riveter' from Trumpeter models for the surface detail.

IMG_1807

I have sprayed them with black primer but I think they will need several more layers before the final colour of dark green.

4 hours ago, socjo1 said:

I watched Mig Eater's photos and I see there strange red dots on vertical stabiliser. What is this?

I can only think that it is red paint showing through the pink camouflage, the photo is taken after the war, the safety fence and people means it was taken at an air show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/02/2022 at 13:55, Hewy said:

Hi charlie, "airwaves " they're advertised for the hasegawa tonka in 72nd, you used to be able to get them for the revell version too . they're on some auction site for about  £15 or £16

Hi Charlie and Glynn, the Airwaves wings for the Hasegawa kit are on the Hannants site for £14.20, I have compared the Hasegawa wings to the Revell ones and they are very similar in span and cord the main difference is the pivot hole, the Hasegawa pivot point is further forward but as the wings cannot pivot with flaps and slats down I'm sure they could be 'fettled' to fit.  Air Graphics make a wing with it's bits down for the Revell kit but they are not in stock at the moment.  :winkgrin:

• Thanks 3

I begun prepare tanks.

Instead of dry-sanding putty beteween tank and stabilisers I have chosen different method. I wiped Mr Surfacer with "Acrylic Paint Remover" (I think IPA or Gunze laquer thinner (EDIT: of course Mr. Color Levelling Thinner - thank you, @Johnson)  works pretty as well). Clean, fast and clever method.

UIG9VL5.jpg

Eduard gave some nice PE details for armament-pylons. Unfortunantely almost nothing for three most visible ones under fuselage. Tht's why I used almost all included PE parts for these places and drilled some holes. It isn't very accurate but it creates impression of busy surface now. You know - horror vacui is most common feature modeller's work. 😉

Behind you see "Hindenburger" tank. I masked thin areas where I will try to restore panel lines by spraying these with Surfacer. Cross your fingers for me 😉

xNtyMvW.jpg

For holding tanks and drying them I have done holders with wire. It works well😉

1Ntim1p.jpg

Best regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, socjo1 said:

I wiped Mr Surfacer with "Acrylic Paint Remover" (I think IPA or Gunze laquer thinner works pretty as well). Clean, fast and clever method.

Agree. I use same method but wipe off excess with Mr Color Leveling Thinner 400. Works very well.

I was at IWM Duxford yesterday (too see the Spitfire exhibiition - superb!) and also was able to get close and photograph Tornado GR4. Very useful, but my build of this kit is a while yet.

Good progress Michel.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Model is painted with European camo now. I must to choose what to do next. Scrapped chipping technique or sponge+brush painted chipping. Orange Hataka are really very nice laquers for spraying but they create rather hard and strong layer for scratching, chipping and so on. So this method may be more difficult and time-consume.

BTW I did't care too much for camo great accuracy as it is only base for desert pink colour.

yTigjpz.jpg

I will try not to overpaint this lines. It is very obvious feature on many Tonka's photos:

You can see drilled holes in air brake bay.

TzekpdT.jpg

I thinned pitot's tube and added there thin aluminium tube from Albion Alloy. Shortened "aft passive ECM housing" located on vertical stabiliser's top  (no photo, sorry).

wsd2XDt.jpg

Best regards,

Mchał

On 11/02/2022 at 14:14, zegeye said:

Nice ''in progress'' Hurricane on the shelf ..... by the way 😃

It is old Revell, I think THIS one you will like more. Arma Hobby's mark IId!

LU07CE2.jpg

Nice decals, aren't they?

Thank you, Zbyshec! 😉

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 6

As armament pylons and wings were very loose fitting, I did a simple jig for straight and more accurate fixing (Lego rules forever ;-)) :

JRo1b4R.jpg

4gsVEPY.jpg

I painted camo. Tht's how Tonka looks now:

rLRSoUo.jpg

REb6RNN.jpg

aVUkKoh.jpg

uC1Qd66.jpg

As you can see there is still masking fluid on it, ready for chipping

I think I oversprayed all preshading job too much. And here you can see what I have done earlier:

Masking I and then shadows:

1HVVzBq.jpg

td6gKYo.jpg

Highlights and masking II:

rsEUQ4V.jpg

What do you think?

Regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 12

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks @David Koktavý , thanks Friends for kind support.

No, I didn't give up.

However prograss is very slow and

many thing changed. First of all my new name is king John the Lackland ( 😉 ). I had to change my sooper - dooper 8 meters  sqare kingdom on mezzanine:

5AI33bx.jpg

for something more compact:

mKYrujf.jpg

Why? Beacause we have now some friends from Kyiv, Zaporozhe and Zhytomierz in our flat. So I had to remove my workshop to our kitchen. Anyway, its not a problem at all, wish all the people such problems and world wold be better place for live. Lets hope and pray our friends from Ukraine will go home soon while agressors and looters will pay for all evil they have done.

Go back for model. That's how it looks now. (Over)weathering is 80% finish. Undercariagge was really hard to fix with good geometry. And decals fixed.

fTltBNp.jpg

wmzH6yY.jpg

j33hSFz.jpg

xx7HmJN.jpg

I used decals mady by Cartograph from Italieri's kit. Why? Generally I like nose-arts and pin-ups but these girls on UK planes during Gulf War were... Hmmmm... Let's say painters weren't van Gogh, Rembrandt or Gaugain. They werent too much talented.

That's why this time fish won :rofl::

zp0fejU.jpg

And the armament I want to use:

Dq3FG32.jpg

Now I'm really finishing Tornado. What's next?...

Despite I'm very IIWW concerned guy and shiplover I think this will be my next build...

1l9bhCz.jpg

Best regards,

Michal

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 12

Well done for finishing your Tornado Michal, it looks lovely and weathered as these machines were by the end of the Gulf war.  I agree that the Tornado nose art were not the best examples, the Bucaneer's had much better nose art. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Generally I like nose-arts and pin-ups but these girls on UK planes during Gulf War were... Hmmmm... Let's say painters weren't van Gogh, Rembrandt or Gaugain. They werent too much talented.

I have to agree Michal, however the nose art on ZD715 wasn't bad - if a bit diminutive, Eduard obviously liked it.

y4m3Y0wsdlEumPjhqCyGXbMamVZfQqH2dyncWUER

This will be my choice when/if I get around to my GR1.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I have to agree Michal, however the nose art on ZD715 wasn't bad - if a bit diminutive, Eduard obviously liked it.

y4m3Y0wsdlEumPjhqCyGXbMamVZfQqH2dyncWUER

This will be my choice when/if I get around to my GR1.

Fully agree with you. Threre are some nice painting like Lizzie, Black Magic or Dhahran Annie however they are almost invisible on 1/72 scale model. 

Ladies on Buccaneers are another story. Sea Witch, Flying Mermaid or Guiness Girl are fantastic IMO

Regards,

M.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Well done with fixing the length of the front undercarriage leg

regards Toby

All your advices are very helpfull, I appreciate them very much.

Regards,

Michal

It was very boring job, but I had no choice.

Four twin racks for bombs are almost ready.

meH3eNF.jpg

Not 100% accurate but quite enogh.

Regards,

Michal

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I installed all stuff under wings and fuselage. Looks impressive in my opinion. Tanks are painted lighter shade of sand. I added DIY cups for Sidewinders too.

hqrQsoI.jpg

n197xWI.jpg

Ax8xEYo.jpg

I install a few last details. Now its time for cockpit canopy and air brakes and then long awaited finish!

QzDd2p0.jpg

TmjuvoH.jpg

5Foo18M.jpg

y3stqDi.jpg

PS. Last week I finished somethig. It was not a model. But I liked it very much too. Do you know what is this?

yVWn8nZ.jpg

r0H9Mad.jpg

Best regards,

Michal

• Like 6

The GR.1 is looking magnificent. Who needs 1/48th?

27 minutes ago, socjo1 said:

Do you know what is this?

Well, clearly not in Poland! A well earned pint at Robin Hood's Bay?