Eduard/Revell Panavia Tornado GR.1 Desert Storm 1/72 (Pink is my new obsession...)

socjo1

Two weeks ago I started Gulf War Tonka. I had to do a pause in my maritime project which appeared more troublefull than I expected. I hope you will find here some interesting and helpfull points and... sorry for my english 😉 .

ZKtbI11.jpg

As usuall, I work together with my 8 years old son who is big history and aviation's fun. He supoports my high morale strongly 😉

DeX71rz.jpg

IpI0lfE.jpg

He cutted almost all plastic parts, glued with  Tamiya Extra Thin, however now it's time for me. Working with interior are quite long and complex, every seat contains about 15 parts.  It was a little shock for me as I usually do planes of II world war era, far

less complicated.

dG7YgMz.jpg

vnIqHUy.jpg

2 warnings:

1. You have to fill or cover gaps in the floor, as resin seats are narrower than plastic:

MgNlZNn.jpg

2. After fitting seats, there is almost no place between pilot's seat and dashborad for steering column. Dry-fitting and cutting both seat's back side are must!

3Geendq.jpg

Best regards,

Michał (and Mikolaj)

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

• socjo1 changed the title to Eduard/Revell Panavia Tornado GR.1 Desert Storm 1/72

:goodjob:

Loving that seat; it would look great in 1/48, in 1/72 its fantastic. Great start guys, I'll be following this very closely & with great interest.:popcorn:

Rich

• Thanks 1

Rich, thanks for kind and warm words, I really appreciate this!

I don't like coloured PE Eduard sets too much. They are like Mc Donald. Very quick, not awful, but not very good. I don't like because they are almost completly flat and often you can see raster (dots of paints) on it. I hoped Eduard's decals are better and I would use these with original plastic parts. This method sometimes gives great results, as you can see on my previous model, ArmaHobby's Wildcat:   

tau8ZBf.jpg

Unfortunately, Eduard's decal instruments are... just almost black holes without ane details: dials, digits and so on. So I took a little brush and somewhat "oldschooly" painted dials like 30 years ago. It was possible thanks to great Revell's part relief. In a few parts I use photo etched parts, sometimes - decals. Generally it is a mix of these three techniques. In all cockpit contains about 70 parts. Ho would belive?:yikes: 

l0idwTO.jpg

Light flesh-coloured seat belts was painted with brown wash to give them more dull effect. I think original colour was just too bright in such small scale and miniature.

As I mentioned earlier, front seat was heavily thinned by scalpel to make a place for steering column.

kWw3DMr.jpg

tAXqNda.jpg

F1pr90x.jpg

As you probably know Revell' s model is not very young (even he can legally buy alcohol and tobacco and so on 😉  ). So on one side it is model with fantasic details (interior, panel lines and so on) but on the other side you can see lot of passing-time's signs: many surface-damages, sink holes and so on. So now it's time for very boring but necessery job: take care and curing all these defects.

Sc2wSpy.jpg

9P7HQj3.jpg

Till next time,

Michał (and Mikołaj)

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• socjo1 changed the title to Eduard/Revell Panavia Tornado GR.1 Desert Storm 1/72 (Pink is my new obsession...)

Hi Michał (and Mikolaj),

Great thread and one for me to watch as I'm planning to do a Gulf GR.1 when Eduard re-release the kit. Great work so far, love your seats and cockpit and agree with your comments on Eduard coloured PE. I think that with the new 3D decal printing we will see an improvement.

Best wishes,

On 28/10/2021 at 13:32, Johnson said:

Hi Michał (and Mikolaj),

Great thread and one for me to watch as I'm planning to do a Gulf GR.1 when Eduard re-release the kit. Great work so far, love your seats and cockpit and agree with your comments on Eduard coloured PE.

On 28/10/2021 at 08:29, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Michal.  Cockpit is looking very detailed and complete- well done- looking forward to the build.

Colin

Thanks a lot!

I think that with the new 3D decal printing we will see an improvement

I think so. Eduard released Tonka's cockpit in Brassin product's line.

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/tornado-gr-1-cockpit-1-72.html?lang=1

There are only decals as a instruments and dials so I really hope these decals are better quality than those in "Desert Storm" edition. It would be heavy disappointment extra pay for extra upgrade set and receiving something "not so extra". Another option could be Kits World 3D decals however I don't know this company quality and this is for GR.4 variant.

https://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?GOTO=787&PICFILE=787&STKNR=787&STRH=&ORDN=&RNZ=345757&THISVIEWMODE=2&SUPPLIER=&FINDRETR=&WIDENET=&CATEGORY=9&SUB=6&VWW=1&VANCE=99

KW3D1721019%20Panavia%20Tornado%20GR4%20

Best regards,

Michał & Mikołaj

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2

Hi there

A couple of small tips with the Revell Tornado:

1. The nose undercarriage leg is too long by about 1 to 1,5mm too long. If you look at a lot of posted models the front of the plane points up and not a bit down like the real thing. It is best to remove the length just above the axle for the wheels

2. The replacement SBS nose cone and pitot look much better than the Revell plastic and just drop right in, easy fix.

3. There is a large gap between the top surface of the wings where thet meet the fuselage. It is best to thin out the fuselage surfaces fro the inside and squeeze together when glueing, these pictures may help.

Before

spacer.png

Plastic removed, and then cut at edge of vertical fuselage side

spacer.png

Glueing together

spacer.png

All assemebled, ready for primer

spacer.png

Regards Toby

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 30/10/2021 at 07:11, Planebuilder62 said:

Hi there

A couple of small tips with the Revell Tornado:

1. The nose undercarriage leg is too long by about 1 to 1,5mm too long. If you look at a lot of posted models the front of the plane points up and not a bit down like the real thing. It is best to remove the length just above the axle for the wheels

2. The replacement SBS nose cone and pitot look much better than the Revell plastic and just drop right in, easy fix.

3. There is a large gap between the top surface of the wings where thet meet the fuselage. It is best to thin out the fuselage surfaces fro the inside and squeeze together when glueing, these pictures may help.

(...)

Regards Toby

Toby, many thanks for very helpfull tips!

1. SBS Models nose is already oreded. This set contains resin nose and three metal parts from (polish) Master (pitot tube and angle of attack probes). The same metal parts you can find in Master's 72019 but without nose.

I bought Aires wheel bays too. You can compare them to original Revell parts:

5xtIB4B.jpg

2. I will short nose underarriage.

3. I confirm, gap between wing and fuselage requires extra attention, care  and sanding:

6jRysrw.jpg

Not only thinning plastic part is must. Don't forget remove a few ejection-pins and be careful with instruction. I found there one fault. Fix part nr 30 opposite way:

KggN0Am.jpg

I restored uneven panel lines:

y2TjFB6.jpg...

...and slightly thinned thick tail fin (photo before sanding):

4ZjztaC.jpg

When I work on fuselage and nose, Mikołaj (Nicholas) prepares tanks and armament:

yjmsyWL.jpg

btY43y9.jpg

abcEXau.jpg

Uuuuups.....

Something went wrong while my son polished a tank:

quQlvUX.jpg

Happily, a few drops of CA glue and Tamiya accelerator filled all holes quickly.

Now I have a question to all Tornadologists ;-).  These grey patterns on wings. When where they painted and when - not? Has these patterns Tornado EA Mige Eater or not?

I would be very greatful for help.

imALqA2.jpg

ElfvRQL.jpg

Best regards,

Michal & Mikolaj.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 5

Hi Michal 

So this is where YOU are!! :lol:

I shall watch with interst as I have one of these, that I'm considering doing in an SAOEU grey/green scheme

And those seats are Special.  The head box straps are just the right colour - what did you use?

Best

Rob

• Thanks 1

Although it is not my sphere of modelling interest, I will follow this build. As a kid, I was visiting my grandad in UK at the time Desert Storm started and we watched SKY news live coverage of the attacks, pink Tornados were very frequent on the screen.

Great work so far guys keep us posted. 

• Thanks 1

On 03/11/2021 at 21:11, robgizlu said:

The head box straps are just the right colour - what did you use?

Best

Rob

Hi Rob,

Eduard's coloured straps were originally painted flash/pinky colour. In such small scale for me it looked too contrast and somewhat... silly. It is very subjective but I couldn't look on it. I just painted them transparently by black-brown wash from small polish cottage-industry company Modeller's World :

MWW-006-Black-brown.jpg?fit=2182,2182&ss

https://www.modelarskiswiat.pl/en/product/oil-wash-black-and-brown/

By the way, I like very much this product, I think first wash I like. It doesn't smell very intensive, spreads quite well on surfaces and bottle has smart drop-dispenser.

Best regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1

On 30/10/2021 at 07:11, Planebuilder62 said:

Progress is slow untill now, but this stage of building is not very easy and reqires precision and good planning.

I fixed fuselage and wing together and then remove a gap between fuselage and wing. Before:

V0Cn0wT.jpg

KVaUoAJ.jpg

I used CA glue and this:

EtQMGzt.jpg

I put CA glue with thin wire and razor's edge in fuselage-wing gap and then worked with accelerator to faster fixing glue and deonder to remove some glue residues.

Result (still needs some final Surfacer and polishing):

rh5wvp7.jpg

That's how almost ready wheel bays looks:

88cfEGo.jpg

lprmLzM.jpg

1. Black base

2. Spraying transparent off white (Hataka C Insignia White)

3. Brushed white (lifecolor) on ribs and details

4. Modelworld's wash

5. A few multi-colour details.

Best regards,

Michal.

• Like 7

On 11/2/2021 at 9:32 PM, socjo1 said:

Now I have a question to all Tornadologists ;-).  These grey patterns on wings. When where they painted and when - not? Has these patterns Tornado EA Mige Eater or not?

I would be very greatful for help.

The Tornado had more than just the wing sweep areas coated in that Teflon coating, also visible in the first photo is the same coating surrounding the tail plane spigot fingers as well. The Teflon/Ablatif coating would have been applied during the manufacture of the wings. As I was at RAF Laarbruch when the bases 4 Sqns of Tonkers were being prepared for war, speed was of the essence, thus not everyone was on the same page as to what to mask off.    Hopefully this helps.     😉

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Amos, many thanks for your answer!

Progress is very slow as model still requires lot of dry fitting, sanding and so on.

Eduard attached two side panels in pilot's cockpit. Unfortunantely, it's not easy to fix them to absolutely flat instrument panel. That's why I extended sun cover.

PUu35rJ.jpg

gYzmqyL.jpg

I think final effect is good...

TGWdaEX.jpg

Unfortunantely canopy is too narrow...

After adding the few details cockpit is less or more finished.

DwPou3W.jpg

These PE elements are really difficult for trimming and fitting!

0DtDwhx.jpg

Air inlets are generally poor-fitted, require epoxy-putty filling inside, it's edges are twisted and top and bottom panel lines non-exist.

As you can see I decided open auxiliary air inlets.

YO25MhB.jpg

Regards,

Michał.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 12

• 1 month later...

Fierce fight still goes on.

I fixed main air inlets. It was very tricky operation. You need to take care for symmetry and upper air gaps. Don't fill it, and don't make them too large:

GQHd5Ub.jpg

Than lot of putty and sanding is necessery on lower surfaces. I did it mostly with CA glue instead of soft and unstable putty. All panel lines on upper surface were non-existed so I  I had to rescribe it.

ucCx9xm.jpg

I opened auxiliary air-inlets. My inspiration here was excellent Tonka by @cathasatail  (thanks)!

6KtmwEG.jpg

Joints between stabilisers and fuselage were very weak so I broke them finally. Then I replaced it with brass tube and rods. Quick, smart and strong. To be continued 

(I hope...)

ykeCsPs.jpg

Best regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 10

13 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Fierce fight still goes on

Which you seem to be winning. Looking good, this will be a kit to remember!

13 hours ago, socjo1 said:

To be continued

You must! Keep going!

• Thanks 1

@Johnson , @Robertone139 thank you very much for your encouraging comments.

On 02/02/2022 at 12:45, Robertone139 said:

Very nice progress!

Like you attention to detail.

So I hope you'll like this short post too.

When I looked recently to the box, I found very strange thing. What is this???? Especially part nr 142 seemed suspicious.

vERN1Tc.jpg

I don't know what you think but for me it looks completly like Allien''s poo.

During these difficult and uneasy time the only one option for me is keep save distance and stay away.

That's why I carefully put strange thing to "biohazard fraction" waste bin. 

Then I decided to do and fix laser indicator target. I prepared some ingrediences:

hnpzaxU.jpg

Then... some shake and bake (2 evenings 😉 ) and voila :

bq7fAvt.jpg

4z3L0DH.jpg

It's not 100% ideal but I'm really satisfied.

Wingtip-positions lights. My most prefered option was using kit parts (really). They were to small and didn't want fit well. Then I tried to make my own from coloured plastic. Unfortunatelly light's shape is quite complicated and my trial failed.

g206usa.jpg

Then I tried another option. More primitive and not so impressive and good-looking but easier quicker and safer. I just used Tamiya epoxy putty and after sanding I painted area with Molotov's chrome marker then clear green and red paints and then mask before painting.

iS1d76G.jpg

And first battle with armament. It's necessery to fill ugly gaps between plastic and PE parts.

xdV05Zm.jpg

FHZi3tW.jpg

Best regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 9

Hi Michal, I'm still working on my Tornado, I know it's been quiet on my thread but that's how it goes.

I have thinned the wing box down to remove the gap but I was not happy with how it looked.

IMG_1809

I thought the same as you, to glue the wing to the fuselage to remove all the gaps, with that in mind I thought it would be better to be able to fit the wings after the fuselage has been assembled.

Out came my saw and the wing mechanism was removed and slots cut to the pivot holes, now I can slot in the wings after I have made the fuselage.  :idea:

IMG_1811

I was wondering what weapons you are putting on your Tornado, the 1,000lb bombs in the kit are not correct for a Gulf war aircraft, they are the later ones with a 960 fuze.

The correct bombs for the 1991 Gulf war are these from Reskit:

IMG_1810

For low level toss bombing, the ones on the left with the 117 retarded tails are the correct ones.  The free fall 114 tails were available but not used much as they were not very accurate at hitting the target, so they preferred the LGB's.

Bob.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you once more for your comments and likes. It is very nice!

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

A fine job so far  👍 have you tried the fit  of the  resin wings with dropped flaps and slats on this kit michal that are intended for the hasegawa kit?

No, I didn't know this product and producer when I started my build. I regret, as I agree it is definitely great option. I love Tornado's wings with open flaps and slats!

Bob, 1000 thanks for your advices, it is always encouraged knowing I'm not alone in this dark, deep wood 😉 .

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

IMG_1809

Bob, be carefull with this fillet (?) I forgot mention it in my topic. This place must be sanded below with fuselage's side's level beacause we place here PE part. So best way is sand this part before fixing to fuselage or  just leave away PE part (PE nrs 29 and 30) and made some from scratch. I'm not sure if you understood me, as my english is not the best, sorry.

0DtDwhx.jpg

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

I was wondering what weapons you are putting on your Tornado, the 1,000lb bombs in the kit are not correct for a Gulf war aircraft, they are the later ones with a 960 fuze.

The correct bombs for the 1991 Gulf war are these from Reskit:

IMG_1810

For low level toss bombing, the ones on the left with the 117 retarded tails are the correct ones.  The free fall 114 tails were available but not used much as they were not very accurate at hitting the target, so they preferred the LGB's.

Bob.

Thanks for advice. I want do classic "Mig Eater" with 4 x 1000 lbs boms and Hindenburg tanks. The best option would be paint tanks in Barley Grey to braek overall pink colour. Does it make sense? I'll try to buy Reskit bombs, but what do you think about Eduard's proposal? Is it the same?

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/brassin/aircraft/1-72/british-1000lb-retarded-bombs-1-72.html

My last question, if you please.

I watched Mig Eater's photos and I see there strange red dots on vertical stabiliser. What is this?

W2TD1ES.jpg

Further many thanks in advance and best regards,

Michal

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

have you tried the fit  of the  resin wings with dropped flaps and slats on this kit michal that are intended for the hasegawa kit?

@Hewy. Who makes the resin wings? Thanks.

Edit - I think they are the Airwaves?

AES72028.jpg?t=

Look nice, wonder if they'd fit?

Edited by Johnson
Found the parts
  • Like 1