Revell 1/24 Mercedes MGP W01 - WiP

Hi guys.  I finally managed to bag myself one of these off Ebay not too long ago for a price in my budget.  Really looking forward to it, but not if you get me.  Those decals are gonna be tough I think.  Of the 5 variations available I'll be doing Shumacher's Germany GP option, in honour of the legend that he is.  This is going to be a slow build, done at my leisure for me this time.  I've done a few group build recently, which I love doing, but there is always a little pressure to try and finish on time (on my part, no GB ever pressures anyone to finish).  So this is just me slowly doing bits as I have the time and motivation, and not rushing anything.  If it needs sanding and repainting over and over, that's what I'm aiming for.  I'm hoping it will be my neatest build yet, well that's the plan anyway...

Box and contents, which I often skip when its a common build but I haven't seen many of these in my searches for help with building.

OW1vdI0.jpg

degzSRe.jpg

cYkQenh.jpg

MuIZg8H.jpg

Thanks.

• Like 6

These 1/24 F1 cars fit better into the mainstream car modelling scale, and a bit smaller as well.

Look forward to seeing this one being built.

Cheer,

Alan.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  So have been taking my time but have made some small progress.  I have begun with the engine, its mostly primed in Ultimate black primer, but some parts needed further sanding as you can see.  The exhausts were each in two parts, which have had filler and sanding to try and make the correctly look like one piece each, but one of them required more filler and sanding, and the other had a raised blob of paint from airbrush spitting I think.  Also on the right at the front is a little pipe that goes across the top of the engine which annoyingly had two ejector pin marks on what will be the outside edge of the pipe so that has been filled and sanded twice also.

u92itl4.jpg

I am by no means an amazing builder, but I am also planning to add extra detail if I can, like using wire to form any pipes missing, and instead of painting the carbon fibre parts the recommended mix of black/sliver 9:1 I'm going to use my carbon fibre decal sheet.  Although finding images of this engine is proving difficult, most I have found seem to be of the following year engine.  They look very similar, but the box on top is a slightly different shape on the photos I found so far, but they will do for now.

Slow and steady will be the theme of this build.

• Like 7

Slow and steady is good as long as you're enjoying it. It will give you chance to get it exactly as you want it, and also saves you from running out of display space :)

I don't envy you getting the body painted and decaled, but this looks a good start.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I said I'd be taking my time with this, mainly as I'm focusing on gutting and redecorating a bedroom (tearing down 100 year lat and plaster ceilings and walls to replace with plasterboard and insulation).  I also wasn't going to do my usual trick of trying to rush a few bits late in the evening, so I only did when I had the time to be patient.  Anyway, then engine is now finished to Revells instructions, with the addition of Tamiya super fine carbon fibre decals in place of the suggested black/silver paint mix.  However I intend to add some extra piping details with wire, which will be my first time on a car build.  I have only managed to find 3 reference images so far, one appears to be of this engine, and the other two have a very similar if not identical block but with a different black box on top.

Om8pO6K.jpg

rWnU1ZG.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

So this stalled a little over Xmas, had a lot on and just wasn't in the mood.  And I told myself I would only work on this when I was in the right frame of mind rather than forcing myself to "make progress".  But work has resumed, now prepping the floor pan.  Some filling and sanding required to get rid of the line where parts were glued.

TYo4ERH.jpg

• Like 2

I often struggle with the lack of zeal for my hobby.
So many things in life get in the way!

It is after all a hobby for most of us, and it is only a pleasure when you feel in the right mood for it.

(The cold weather doesn't help a lot. My workshop is in the un-heated conservatory!)

Glad to see you getting started on this again.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Thanks 1