Hello everyone …. This is my very late finish of an AT-6D started in the Texan single type group build. It represents an aircraft operated by ALA MIXTA N° 46/GANDO/C.6-167 circa 1975 in the Spanish Sahara. A brief history that I found stated this.

This armed Spanish Air Force
C.6 (T-6C/D) of Escaudron 463
at Ganda, was used in the counter
insurgency role over the Spanish
Sahara during 1975.

I chose the markings as there is a plane about 1 mile from my house that used to wear these markings as a warbird. Though it currently wears a new scheme. The kit is the Encore release of the Academy plastic. The underwing rockets are based on these.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_cm_Flz.-Rakete_Oerlikon

The ones in my build come from the Newer Airfix MiG-17. Seems the Soviets cloned the rockets at some point. 
zMiRDqO.jpg

V3zK4UV.jpg

diWZly7.jpg

VGkwoWM.jpg

CwXv0u3.jpg

VZ1w6qB.jpg

xpBz9zi.jpg

xUsLGbe.jpg

m7Am4gr.jpg

atDqW36.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or thoughts. Please also feel free to visit the build thread. 

Dennis

• Like 26

Well done! It looks great with its Spanish paint scheme and armament.

I built a similar a model of a similar Spanish T-6 many years ago. Funny to think that the Spanish Airfoce operated these little ground-attack aircraft on the Canary Islands when other units in Spain were already using Phantoms and Mirages. Apparently, the Texans also often shared the runway with civilian 747s. Quite a contrast...

I am not sure if the Oerlikon rockets were copied by the Soviets. I guess the Swiss simply exported them to Egypt (maybe via Spain?) where the rockets were installed on Mig-17s (which is why Airfix included them in the Mig-kit).

• Thanks 1