HMS Banshee TBD Combrig 1/350

Hi, 

finally managed to finish a couple of ships this year, the first being Combrig's lovely HMS Banshee in 1/350 scale. This ship is poorly documented in photographs but I found an image of her late in her career in the Mediterranean, with raised funnels, taller foremast (for aerials? higher signal flags?) and altered stern flagpole/tiller arrangement. Also with shelter awnings behind the conning tower. I was intending to modify the kit's funnels but bodged the job and actually robbed my HMS Earnest kit for these items. I suspect they could be a little taller still. I used Sovereign paints for the ships. The two-flag signal means something like "I don't like the look of the weather".

Cheers,

GrahamB

51620717789_4ad77dc7b2_k.jpgHMS Banshee starboard by Graham Bird, on Flickr

51620067051_fbc29e618f_k.jpgHMS Banshee starboard quarter by Graham Bird, on Flickr

51620717179_1a23928566_k.jpgHMS Banshee starboard bow by Graham Bird, on Flickr

51620930375_d7ad592f23_k.jpgHMS Banshee port by Graham Bird, on Flickr

51619231057_24e9748c1d_k.jpgHMS Banshee port quarter by Graham Bird, on Flickr

51620929950_537d862e9b_k.jpgHMS Banshee port bow by Graham Bird, on Flickr

Edited by GrahamB
textual changes
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

HMS Banshee was an early torpedo-boat destroyer (TBD) launched in 1894 by Yarrow. It was part of a loose class called "27-knotters" from their design speed. Later they were part of the "A" Class. Banshee served mainly in the Mediterranean (hence the white-buff livery) but didn't make to WW1, being disposed of in 1912.

HMS Earnest, mentioned previously, was a slightly later "30-knotter" and subsequent "B" Class.

Combrig now do a whole host of early British TBDs and destroyers in 1/700 scale.

Cheers, GrahamB

Another very nice build of a subject rarely seen (I assume, because this is the first one I've seen). Seascape is also very well done. The signal flag is apt as I would not like to be caught in any form of sea state in something like this.

How did you find building the combrig model and did it come with pe?

David

• Like 1

I do not have any of the Combrig kits for these A to D-class destroyers in either 1:350 scale or 1:700 scale but I must agree they make up into very attractive models. All the five or six examples I have seen completed exhibit the same small error which leads me to believe it is a result of a deficiency in Combrig's instructions. All these destroyers had a quite prominent capstan on the turtle-back. I am not sure whether this was steam-powered or not (the draughts are not clear enough in this area to confirm this or not), but the capstans definitely were set up to operate manually in the old-fashioned manner using the crew to push bars and rotate it. Consequently, there were small part-circle platforms on each side of the capstan for the crew to walk upon as they pushed the bars. The outer edges of the platforms were supported by the stanchions of the railings than ran from the gun platform to the bow. This means that these railings curve to match the platforms on each side and do not run straight fore and aft until forward of these platforms, a feature which would also be necessary to allow the crew to rotate the capstan.

I really like this model, especially as it is in the Mediterranean Fleet's colours and, correctly, has black anti-fouling paint. I am scratch building a 1:250-scale model of one of Laird's later 30-knotters, HMS Griffon, which has the same colour scheme, so this makes it even more attractive to me.

Maurice

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Maurice - you may be right but I can't see the capstan platform feature in my references (including Friedman, Lyon, Perkins) apart from perhaps images (Lyon p.15, 21) of very early designs (Charger, Dasher, Hasty, Fervent, Zephyr). I don't think it is on the builder's model of Whiting (Hobbs, p. 72-73) either.

They are an attractive subject and I look forward to building my HMS Earnest in the black scheme and an early WW1 format (if I can interpret scant references properly). The Combrig 1/700 TBDs/WW1 destroyers are a little too small for my liking.

Cheers, GrahamB

I do not have my copy of Friedman immediately available. Looking quickly through Lyon, in addition to the two places @GrahamBmentioned, the platforms are apparent in the draughts of Arab (28), Havock (54), Hornet (55), Hasty (57), Conflict (65), Thorn (68), Vixen (71), Fervent (74-75), Crane (78), Haughty (82), Swordfish (86), Hunter (88-89), and Zebra (90-91). They also show up quite clearly in photographs of Snapper and Bullfinch (73), Zephyr (76), Flying Fish (80), Hardy (83), Spitfire (85), Zebra (90), Cheerful (93), Whiting (107), and Hunter (108). On the other hand, I cannot see them in the photographs of the Laird 26-knotter Lynx (99).

Maurice

• Like 1

Hi Maurice,

yes you are right - I only had a brief glance at the Lyon book (and some of the names I mentioned can be extrapolated to others in the same build group). However, these capstan platforms are not universal across all the TBDs and may be related to specific builders - some may have installed steam-powered versions. It would take a detailed study of this to get the full picture, and I don't think that Combrig has got it wrong for Banshee, at least.

Cheers, GrahamB

• 8 months later...

I recently was able to examine the Cover for the River class TBD's of the 1901-1902 Programme (boats launched in 1903) at Greenwich. This includes a statement that steam capstans were to be fitted for the first time in Royal Navy TBD's on these boats, implying that all earlier TBD's of the 27-knotter and 30-knotter types only had manual  capstans.

Maurice

• Like 1