Twin Yakult Engines.

On 24/12/2021 at 18:40, rockpopandchips said:

I skipped the gloss coat I normally do before masking. I won't do that again.

It seems to me that the problem is not the lack of a gloss coat, rather poor adhesion of polyethylene. If I good see all the paint is gone with the masking tape, so is the primer.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 5:40 PM, rockpopandchips said:

Oh balls...........

20211224-165800.jpg

Ouch! You've got as much sympathy as I can send, Rocky. At least the stripes are sill intact?

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2021 at 5:40 PM, rockpopandchips said:

Oh balls...........

PE polyethylene plastic isn't a thermoset so the individual atoms in it move albeit very slowly. As they move away from the surface the paint is no longer anchored. After enough of this happens the paint can be peeled off in a sheet.

Fear not there are two ways round this.

1. Rough the surface up to increase surface area then use a plastic primer (Halfords is pretty good) in two or three thin coats. As it dries it shrinks and it remarkably resilient.

2. Get some PVA as used by builders thin it to taste and paint it on the PE making sure it also anchors to adjacent materials if not completely covering the PE. Then your cheapie primer will stick well.

The latter was applied to the domes on my nephew's full size Dalek domes and 20 years on they're still good except where they've been scratched. You must be using a very tough clear coat to get the same effect.

That's come out very well indeed and looks fantastic, I'm glad you have been able to rescue it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SleeperService said:

polyethylene plastic isn't a thermoset so the individual atoms in it move albeit very slowly. As they move away from the surface the paint is no longer anchored. After enough of this happens the paint can be peeled off in a sheet.

I will have to take your word for it, I just stick stuff together and paint it, with little regard for anything else...😁

I would normally use Halfords primary but used some stuff from the £1 shop, it's OK but obviously not good for PE and it stinks like hell. I have never thought about PVA,  I have 5L of the stuff left over from a DIY loft project...thanks for that.

• Like 2