etch primer pealing?

A_S

Hi all

I thought i had asked this before but I checked through my posts and I couldnt see anything.

Just looking forr some advice on what people prime etch and brass with? I'd previously used Halfords car primer when painting 1/32 scale brass steam locos, without problem, 10 years on the paint jobs look perfect. However in my recent efforts to paint photo etch and my own scratch built brass parts for my 1/24 rally cars the primers I'm using keep pealing at the corners often even before i paint, and from touching them or clamping them with buldog clips etc.... I can't work out why the etches seem so hard to paint.

I opened my cabinet this evening to check out some shades of silver/grey on my completed models only to find my most recent finished build has suffered the exact problem I describe above. See the corners of the roof vents, these are brass parts painted with zero etch primer. So annoying as there is not much I can do now, and all its been doing is sitting in that cabinet since Oct-20.... no other interference.

y4mLeGmgB7no4DtyFNUq--BxjR6U_aoY027MEDyL

I've used all of the following -  zero paints etch primer (2 part), tamiya - whichever one lists etch and metal as one of the surfaces it can prime, some other 2 part stuff my dad uses to prime 5inch gauge steam locos but all 3 just peal at the corners.

My technique has been to slighty key the brass and soak for 10-20 mins in white vinager before drying and applying 3-4 medium coats through the spray or airbrush.

Anyone else have similar issues, and how do you get round them?

Cheers

Andy