QUESTION: What ordnance if any did The Supermarine Scimitar carry??

Corvi

I know another ordnance question.  I am looking to see if Scimitars carried either Rocket Pods or Iron Bombs on any missions??

-Royal Navy 2" Rocket Launcher

-1000lb Iron Bombs

I will be starting a Scimitar and want to know the loadout

Thanks Guys

Steve,

Edited by Corvi

• Corvi changed the title to QUESTION: What ordinance if any did The Supermarine Scimitar carry??

AIM-9B Sidewinders, a unique fit on British service aircraft in that era.

I can't recall seeing pictures of Scimitars with the 2" rocket pod, they were definitely armed with the earlier style of 3" rockets carried in stacks on the hardpoints though.

9 hours ago, Corvi said:

You mean like LAU-3's  Cylinder type Rocket pod??

Steve,

No, I mean individual 3" rockets suspended in tiers from the pylons, so in three tiers each side of the pylon (six rockets per pylon) for a maximum of 24 rockets per aircraft.

I'm not sure but I think the Scimitar as a front-line fighter just missed the arrival of podded rockets, but could be wrong.  Certainly don't recall seeing pictures of one with the standard 2" rocket pod that Vixens, Buccaneers and Phantoms used.

There are pics out there showing the rockets installed and fired from Scimitars but not great quality, this Vixen shot illustrates nicely what I'm referring to,

1434589114865.jpg

BTW Scimitars could carry a maximum of four Bullpup missiles as unlike the Sea Vixen, the electronics and aerials to support it were fitted in the aircraft and not to an underwing pod.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dummy Red Beard WE177 on Port pylon, camera pod on Stbd, plus tank. Note the pylon adapter for the bomb.

Trials a/c en route Orfordness for ballistic tests.

6eaa1bb9-0b43-473c-94c5-ed420805e134.png

Edited by bentwaters81tfw
Ident
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Dummy Red Beard on Port pylon, camera pod on Stbd, plus tank. Note the pylon adapter for the bomb.

Trials a/c en route Orfordness for ballistic tests.

6eaa1bb9-0b43-473c-94c5-ed420805e134.png

That's not Red Beard (which was massive), looks like WE.177 shape during release trials with XD229

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

That's not Red Beard (which was massive), looks like WE.177 shape during release trials with XD229

Red Beard was 12ft long by 28in diameter, and was carried internally by the Buccaneer inside the rotating bomb bay, so not massive.

The dimensions look about right for  the store being carried by the Scimitar, the streamlined teardrop shape is also right compared to the more cylindrical WE177 shape.

You're thinking Blue Danube carried by the V bombers?

pc98-153-6_l.jpg

• Like 1

Great Info.   I can always throw some Bullpups on my Scimitar.  I may have some from my Monogram F-100D.

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Whose model are you using, Im a bit interested and fascinated by the type.  

I have the ScratchAeronautics kit coming.

Steve, 

• Thanks 1

• Corvi changed the title to QUESTION: What ordnance if any did The Supermarine Scimitar carry??
1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Red Beard was 12ft long by 28in diameter, and was carried internally by the Buccaneer inside the rotating bomb bay, so not massive.

The dimensions look about right for  the store being carried by the Scimitar, the streamlined teardrop shape is also right compared to the more cylindrical WE177 shape.

You're thinking Blue Danube carried by the V bombers?

A Buccaneer could get two WE.177s into the same space as that Red Beard.

That's a WE.177 on the Scimitar, Red Beard shape was the same length but far fatter (WE.177 16") and stumpier looking, also note the pylon adapter/extender used for the slimmer weapon.

I did have a good pic of a Scimitar with Red Beard but can't locate it at the moment.  This will have to do for now, cribbed from the internet,

CAzGL4cWEAA_pfW?format=jpg&name=medium

@Scimitar F1 You could be right, maybe Microcell type as fitted to this Sea Vixen FAW.1.  However I've not seen a pic of a Scimitar with them on, not to say they didn't of course.

Sea_Vixen_of_892_NAS_on_USS_Forrestal_(C

Edited by 71chally

Great info. Guys.  I think I may have some Bullpuppies from My Monogram F-100.  I do like the look of the British 2 Inch rocket pods ...It seems they were NOT used on the Scimitar.

My 1/48 Jet FAA collection is growing....Just need a Buccaneer in 1/48 and maybe an Attacker-----Odd little beastie to me.

I wish Airfix or someone would de a NEW TOOL of a 1/48 Buccaneer.....The Airfix kit is beast of a build.

Steve,

• Like 1

I just had a look in the booklet by D. Gibbings & J. Gorman - there is a very brief section on armament on p. 19 which does not list the 2" pods, and a listing of stores on p.45 which lists "2" and 3" RP's or other alternatives". So while the pods are not ruled out, they do not seem to have featured high up on the list. In any case, few stores are shown anyway in the pics contained apart from tanks, tanks and tanks... not even a single Sidewinder in sight.

4 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

@71chally I hadn’t seen one of those.

The rocket pod on the Scimitar I saw had a pointed nose but was smaller in diameter than the 2in one.

They are covered by a fibreglass nose cap for flight, usually it was a curved spinner shape one on Vixens but I believe pointed caps were used sometimes, I think on Canberras.

They are definitely smaller diameter than the later standard RN pods.

19 hours ago, tempestfan said:

I just had a look in the booklet by D. Gibbings & J. Gorman - there is a very brief section on armament on p. 19 which does not list the 2" pods, and a listing of stores on p.45 which lists "2" and 3" RP's or other alternatives". So while the pods are not ruled out, they do not seem to have featured high up on the list. In any case, few stores are shown anyway in the pics contained apart from tanks, tanks and tanks... not even a single Sidewinder in sight.

RP= Rotating projectiles, not Rocket pods. The small 2" pods are Mircrocell launchers, the later 2" pods are No 7 launchers.

Selwyn