Vickers Vildebeest MkIII 1/72 +++FINISHED+++

Ray S

39 minutes ago, Ray S said:

The wing section with the flash along the trailing edge was the section I varnished, and I was quite happy with it. I used a wide, flat brush and the brush strokes are pretty much invisible in real life, although they are showing slightly in the image. Most importantly for me, is that the gloss sheen has now gone. I have now used this mixture on the fuselage, and that is now covered to prevent dust settling.

That is it for now, thanks for looking and the comments.

Ray

Spraying the mat varnish from a can, the same way you do with the silver, looks much easier approach to me. You should try it.

• Like 1

Crikey the exhaust collector sink marks look a bit of a mare.  The varnish experiment is interesting,  I used Windsor and Newton acrylic varnishes now to finish it brushes on very well and gives me a nice matt finish, I did try thinning with Acrylic thinners but am going to try water next time. 

Great work Ray,  I hope you can get some more bench time soon.  My bench time has been lacking lately too, hopefully I will sneak some in tomorrow when SWMBO is at work😉

Chris

20 hours ago, Patrik said:

Spraying the mat varnish from a can, the same way you do with the silver, looks much easier approach to me. You should try it.

@Patrik I still have nightmares about rattlecan varnish! I built a Contrail Short Singapore some time ago, and when I varnished it from a can, the aircraft looked like it had spent time on Loch Ness in the middle of a blizzard, rather than being snug and warm in the Middle East (Basra, Iraq) as I wanted. That experience has made me wary of spraycan varnishes. Maybe I should try again one day. This is what happened -

Contrail Short Singapore III 003

@bigbadbadge, I have tried the W&N matt varnish, it seemed to work well, but I have not used it for quite a while, again, maybe one to revisit. 

Thanks for the comments!

This morning I have been dealing with some of the smaller stuff again. First up was the transfers for the spat flashes. I decided to do only one side each today. The transfers are very thin, and this time I used the Micro Set/Sol stuff on them as there was quite a complex curve for them to settle down around. I must admit, I did wonder at one time if I was going to have a massive fail, but a quick slice with a razor blade helped no end.

DSCN8113

DSCN8110

I had toyed with masking and painting these, but I don't think my accuracy would be high enough with those black outlines. The inside spat markings are a lot smaller, and I am anticipating a little more of a fight with those.

I have given the torpedo the first coat of ColourCoats RAF/FAA Yellow, an interesting brush-painting job (will need a few more coats I think), the gun mount has had a second coat of satin black and I have cleaned up the remaining struts and the tail wheel part ready for spraying tomorrow. Following advice, I have made sure I have written on the underside of the pegs which part number is for which strut, so hopefully I will not fall into a trap!

DSCN8112

I have made a start on cleaning up the filler on the one section of the engine assembly, I may still have to look at that a little more.

Anyway that is it for now, I need to now pluck up courage to build (fold) the torpedo mount from the etch. Thanks for looking, and the continued encouragement and comments.

Ray

• Like 11

Cheers Chris!

Hello all. Today has seen me give the wings another coat of matt varnish, as when the light caught them there were places where I had missed! They look a lot better now. The torpedo has had a third coat of yellow for the nose, maybe just one more (or two, three), but it is getting there. I managed to spray all the remaining struts and the tail wheel part with Aluminium. The transfers on the inner side of the wheel spats produced less of a fight than I expected, one of the benefits of remembering what I had done yesterday with the other side:

DSCN8118

Yesterday evening I popped some Krystal Klear into the window openings (well, all but the biggest) and saw how it went. To be honest, I was concerned about adding the KK to the larger port side section, but it was a common way of doing it online. I thought the opening was too large for the stuff to film over. Anyway, I plucked up courage and tried with my usual method, which is putting the end of a cocktail stick into the KK and smearing around the window edges, followed by pulling across the opening to film it. I failed. I had a soupçon of concern about that, then I had an idea. Which was good as it means my mind had not atrophied! I used a brush for the KK instead, and it went like a dream! Every day is a school day...

DSCN8114

At this point I was quite happy with the way this is going.

DSCN8115

DSCN8116

It would have been easier if I had not put those struts there. I finally (for today) decided to get the torpedo carrier cut and folded. I had the usual fun and games with the CA deciding not to stick when the parts were positioned properly, but got there in the end:

DSCN8120

I will put a little CA reinforcement on the joints over the next couple of hours (after the zipkicker has evaporated off) before painting it. It is very fragile!

That is it for today, thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 9

Hello all. I got the torpedo cradle painted this morning, along with the fourth coat of yellow for the torpedo nose, that will be that now, it looks okay to my eyes. I also noticed that on the reference images there was a small window on the starboard side by the middle station, so I masked that off and painted it gloss black, as the kit manufacturer had kindly marked the area, but not left it empty.

DSCN8123

I have also now started painting the front cockpit glazing frame, so it is getting closer to being able to start doing some gluing again.

This is short and sweet, but hopefully more later.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 10

Cheers again Chris!

I have started to deal with the struts now. I decided to go with adding the three first ones to the lower wing first (rather than the top I mentioned earlier). I chose to do it this way around as I am not confident about controlling my shakes, so if there were any 'mishaps' and glue got onto the upper wing lower surfaces, they would be less visible. Anyway, I used Revell Contacta glue, added via a metal probe to the strut end and also the location hole (which I enlarged slightly). I used a set square to try and ensure that the struts were vertical in all planes I could think of (no stagger on this one), and also used a steel rule to assist:

DSCN8124

It took a little while, but eventually the three were in and as true as I could get them. The fourth will go in when the top wing and cabane struts are fitted, as it is likely to need some adjustment due to the incorrect angle on the starboard forward section of the wing.

DSCN8125

I will leave that to set now overnight and hopefully it will then be strong enough to hold the top wing. I do not want to use CA to reinforce the joins as it marks the silver finish (in my experience). That will prove 'interesting' when I add the rigging.

I have also started to paint the black section of the torpedo, and the tyre for the rear part of the undercarriage. Another coat or two will be needed, this time I am using Revell Anthracite acrylic, still brush painted. The torpedo props are being done while still on the etch fret.

DSCN8126

That is it for today, I am busy this evening so hopefully more tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 10

Chris, I was certainly happy about finishing the yellow!

Today has not been good. I started by adding the top wing. Nowadays I need to use magnifiers, and I have found that they alter perspective, and have an incredibly narrow 'visible' range. That meant I had to turn the aircraft upside down and lower it into position, aligning the three struts with their location holes. All well and good for the three practice runs. I added some glue (CA gel) to the holes, brought the wing down to locate the struts, and got them all in place (eventually!). I held it in place for a couple of minutes, then rotated the plane so it was the right way up. My shakes got the better of me, and suddenly I had one loose wing and two struts on the floor! I was well impressed, not.

That shook me more than somewhat I must say. This is the second time it has happened in two biplane builds, but I managed to rescue the previous one (the vacform Bristol Scout), so why not this as well? I said 'Ooops', as you do, and re-glued the two dropout struts, aligning them as I did yesterday. Then I went and watched a video about Yellowstone's Super Volcano (waste of time, rubbish programme). Anyway, it must have cleared my mind because I had yet another idea (I know, two whole ideas in one build? What are things coming to?). I still have some Aeroclub aerofoil strut material - what if I could drill a hole in the end and add some wire - would that help? I had seen it done in other builds, but I have always struggled to drill into thin section materials, but being made of stern stuff and all that, I bravely gave it a go. I found my spare sewing needle, pressed that into the end of some spare strut, then drilled with my smallest drill, and it worked! Even better, I had some nickel-silver rod which then fitted the resultant hole!

I then measured out each individual strut and drilled each end, and popped them onto the numbered pegs in the same position as I did the struts, so now I have spares if the kit struts fail again!

DSCN8127

DSCN8129

These struts are slightly wider than the kit ones, but never mind. If the struts do break off again, the first thing I will do is try and drill those and fit the wire, but at least I have a Plan C now, just in case.

Here endeth this tale of woe for the day, it will improve! And I am still smiling, despite that.

Cheers,

Ray

• Like 9

I’ve got four biplanes on the go, so I sympathise. There’s always one strut that refuses to go into the hole when it sees the glue.

I am starting to wonder whether PVA glue wouldn’t be a better option when offering up multiple struts to multiple holes in the other wing - more adjustment time and less panic, plus cleanup with a wet brush.

It is looking jolly smart and far prettier than a Vildebeest has any business looking.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking good! If you find you cand drill the strut ends, just cut a slot in them, side to side,  and slip the brass rod fittings in. A swipe of PPP over the join and you'd never know.

That's my go to method.

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

resized_ed873d41-31b6-42df-9143-f1715da8
Well for my next biplane I’m going for soldered brass, shouldn’t even need that much glue :) 

I’d be very nervous about PVA I tend to use shaved cocktail sticks for my struts and favour slow CA and make sure my strut ends fit the associated hole before glueing. Sometimes a jig helps 

resized_2b733e8a-b722-4cbc-a0b5-8ec88eccI managed this little nightmare with that method, I reckon it’s good for anything.

• Like 3

On 11/26/2021 at 2:02 PM, Brandy said:

Looking good! If you find you cand drill the strut ends, just cut a slot in them, side to side,  and slip the brass rod fittings in. A swipe of PPP over the join and you'd never know.

That's my go to method.

Ian

Ian, that is a good idea. I had seen that before (it may well have been one of your builds) but had forgotten about the tip.

On 11/26/2021 at 2:40 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice work :)

Cheers RidgeRunner!

@Marklo, I have seen your method in your great Group Build threads, I am still waiting to pluck up courage for that idea. That model you have just shown was an absolute cracker!

After a few days where I could not get to the bench, I managed today at last! The first thing I did was try and sort out the struts - should I leave them and try and add the top one again, or bite the bullet and remedy (hopefully) the problem from the word go. I decided on the latter. I got the fourth strut (the one that need trimming), and sanded the remaining location pips off, and marked the hole position with a needle, then, heart in mouth, I tried drilling the hole for some wire. This went very well indeed, I managed to get the hole central, and did not send it out of the side of the strut as I drilled. Heartened as I was, I then proceeded to gently pull each strut in turn off the lower wing, drill and pin them, and then reattach them to their correct hole.

DSCN8130

I made the strengthening wire over-long, drilled a hole into the wing, then trimmed the wire to suit. It seemed to work. Then, while the top wing was still off, I added the High-speed Fairey gun mount to the rear cockpit (it still needs a little paint retouching now), and also added the front cockpit windscreen. The framework on that was pretty crisp, and I did not mask it, just painted it freehand with acrylic, then used a sharp wooden cocktail stick to tidy it up.

DSCN8131

DSCN8132

Sorry about the focus on that one! It was while attaching the gun mount that I noticed that I had not added the second seat restraint for the gunner, so that has been painted and will be added over the next day or so. I gave the torpedo a final coat of Revell Anthracite and test-fitted it to the cradle:

DSCN8133

I still have to add the etch propellers. Finally today, I just had to see if I would have any luck adding the top wing, just a dry fit at the moment:

DSCN8135

It is now becoming apparent just how big the Vildebeest is!

That is it for now, thanks for looking, and also for the advice!

Cheers, Ray

• Like 12

This is coming on really nicely, Ray. Struts! Much more difficult than rigging... Nice work with the pinned Aeroclub strut stock.

On 11/26/2021 at 2:02 PM, Brandy said:

cut a slot in them, side to side,  and slip the brass rod fittings in. A swipe of PPP over the join and you'd never know.

Ian, I've never heard or thought of doing that before, but it seems so obvious now that you've mentioned it! Thanks for the to tip, which I'm sure I'll be using!

Jon

• Like 2

Hello all! Thanks @bigbadbadge and @Jonners for your comments. Now, did someone mention struts?

I do not really know where to begin today. I will start by saying that I added the top wing without glue to the three struts, and taped it into place, and popped the fourth one in place to see how much to trim it by. Would it surprise you to know that I actually needed to add material to it to get it to touch the upper wing? I thought 'Hmm' or something like it and had a wonderful time wondering what I had done wrong. I got a pair of dividers out and measured the struts and found that the back starboard strut was longer than the forward one. I had marked which strut was which when I took them off the runner, and was very careful with the numbering, but I still wondered if I had made a mistake. I swapped the struts over so the longer one was at the front, let it set then about 3 hours later I added the top wing.

DSCN8138

All struts aligned, the wing was true and square, but it was when I was taking this photograph I began to have my doubts. Having seen Patrik's build (and Jonners' vacform build), the upper wing did not look right to my eyes. There seems to be quite a bend in the rear of the wing, in the centre and I wondered whether it had warped when it was moulded.

DSCN8139

DSCN8140

DSCN8141

Note just how low down the trailing edge is just forward of the gunner station.

DSCN8143

I was a bit fraught at this for quite a while this afternoon, wondering what was going on! Especially as this is being built for someone else. I looked again at online builds, and none seem to have this problem. I began to think it was a serious warp. With some trepidation, I decided to see if I could prize off the upper wing from the struts, and get the struts out of the lower wing. I managed to do that, knowing that I had the spare struts that I had previously cut just in case. I then measured the strut pairs, and re-fitted both so that the longer strut was hindmost. A test fit of the wing then showed that the edges of the wings were more parallel than in the side-on shot above.

All in all, I do wonder if I got the strut numbers mixed up (I swear I didn't but it is possible) or if Special Hobby got the numbers mixed up (I doubt they did but it is possible) in their instructions. I was aware of Patrik's warning about the struts, so I took extra care.

A final look at the top wing and what I think is excessive curvature:

DSCN8137

The struts will now set overnight, and hopefully I can add the top wing again tomorrow.

Thanks for looking, all the best,

Ray

• Like 4

Hi Ray, your wing definitely looks strange, at least on the mobile phone. I will have a look at it in detail on my PC tomorrow morning, as I do not have it with me now. However, important hint for you. The longer struts belong to the rear! I have them still on the sprue. The front ones are 2.9 cm, the rear ones 3.0 cm and the aileron rods 3.1 cm. All lengths are without the locator pins.

Edited by Patrik
  • Thanks 1

@Jonners and @Patrik, thanks for the comments, and I am glad it is not just me that thinks the wing is 'off'.

The longer struts to the rear have made things a lot better now. I still have no idea if I mixed up the struts, but I wrote the numbers one at a time and added the strut to the numbered peg one at a time and I cannot see how I mucked up! I think the only way to find out is get another kit in the future when my finances allow!

This afternoon I added the top wing again, and all seems okay, but the kink is still visible, and it seems more so than on other completed Vildebeest/Vincent builds I have seen online, but it will have to do.

DSCN8144

DSCN8145

This side on shot really shows the mid-wing droop at the trailing edge, but at least the wing tips are pretty much parallel as they should be. It just goes to show how important it is to get the struts right!

DSCN8146

all fairly square from the front, no sideways stagger to the wings...

DSCN8147

And a bit more space between the trailing edge and the rear cockpit opening.

I am happier now that it is the best I could get it. I will let that set overnight before I try to deal with the cabane struts which would need serious shortening at the best of times, I will not be surprised if the back ones need a little more.

That is it for now, thanks for looking, and especially the encouragement.

Ray

• Like 2

The wings should be parallel when viewed from the side too. There is definitely a strut length problem here, they should be the same front and rear.

Edit: looks much better in that last post.

Ian

@Ray S,

made two photos of my 2016 Vildebeest IV build for you tonight, I hope they help. From the second one, it appears that your wing has been somehow warped - at least on your photos the central section trailing edge looks kind of trampled on. I checked the Vildebeest/Vincent upper wings in my stash, all of them look fine. I also plan building Vildebeest III in future, and as I want to build it as three-seater, I bought one extra Vincent in order to get the extra parts for the third cockpit. Long story made short, I have one extra wing I can share with you for free. If you are interested, PM your address to me, just please do not expect to have it overnight, it will take some time from Czechia, especially now in the pre-Christmas packet frenzy.

2021130-DSC-0536.jpg

2021130-DSC-0538.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1